• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Useless Kitchen Items and Utensils

fresco

No, it is definitely a ricer.

20230330_143927.thumb.jpg.4c2b4653ecad62a131f4d2fdb35459c4.jpg

My mother was a sucker for little gadgets. The Watkins Spiceman always seem to have a few when he came around and she couldn't resist them. The most ridiculous one that I remember was one that screwed into carrots and cut them into things that looked like Shirley Temple's curls. My dad teased her unmercively when she tried to serve him those.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Funny this topic should pop up today as I just pulled out these 5-bladed scissors for herbs (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that I received as a gift.  I used them for the first time in all the years I've had them.  Having done so, I can now donate them with a clear conscience.  I can do a better job with a knife and the knife takes a fraction of the time to clean. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

No, it is definitely a ricer.

20230330_143927.thumb.jpg.4c2b4653ecad62a131f4d2fdb35459c4.jpg

My mother was a sucker for little gadgets. The Watkins Spiceman always seem to have a few when he came around and she couldn't resist them. The most ridiculous one that I remember was one that screwed into carrots and cut them into things that looked like Shirley Temple's curls. My dad teased her unmercively when she tried to serve him those.

A new potato ricer

• Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

What on Earth did you ever do to that poor person to make them hate you so?

In my friend’s defense, she has joint pain that bothers her a lot when gripping a knife but not so much with scissors so she is quite delighted with hers and just wanted to share. 
I think a lot of the items mentioned here are likely quite useful to certain people in certain situations.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think a lot of the items mentioned here are likely quite useful to certain people in certain situations.  

Absolutely agree.    I can't count the number of favorite gizmos I've tried to "sell" friends.    I just categorize them as NIH (not invented here).   Their loss.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

I've mentioned this before in another topic, but my most ridiculous gadget is probably these "pizza scissors" with built-in wedge carrier.

pizzascissors1.thumb.jpg.f0c0fe5c6fd0ad08dc65b6fcf2f994ea.jpg

They work OK but a rolling pizza slicer is much simpler.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

15 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Funny this topic should pop up today as I just pulled out these 5-bladed scissors for herbs (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that I received as a gift.  I used them for the first time in all the years I've had them.  Having done so, I can now donate them with a clear conscience.  I can do a better job with a knife and the knife takes a fraction of the time to clean. 

Those herb scissors look exactly like the probably useless paper-shredding scissors that are sold. Hmmm...did someone say, "Hey, these don't work well for herbs. I wonder what else we could market them for?"

• Haha 5

Deb

Liberty, MO