• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Useless Kitchen Items and Utensils

fresco

A tiny, wooden, mortar and pestle - received as a gift when I wanted one of those huge, heavy monsters a la Jamie Oliver. It collects dust but I can't get rid of it as the person who gave it to me keeps a close eye on it! :sad:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lets see... in the garage there are a few boxes full of useless kitchen gear:

flour sifter

bread maker

recipe book holder

those fork thingies that came with a roasting pan

apple corer

donut cutter

non-remote meat thermometer

ice spoon that came with an ice bucket (now used for wine)

some awful t-fal pans

"the chopper machine" - one of those useless push down chopping things

I don't think I can pick a most useless, and I'm sure there are other things in the boxes, but wow do I have a lot of useless kitchen junk.

A garlic press. My wife bought it from one of those in-home demonstration pyramid scheme things for $15. Then I went to BB&B and got a stainless steel board scraper for $4. And we had a little contest.

If I ever have to mash a really small potato, I'll dig it out and use it, though...

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I just looked through the drawer and found a tea ball. When I was growing up we had a tea ball that never got used. I guess I'm just upholding an old family tradition. :biggrin:

No one I know deveins shimp including me. Lobsters yes, shrimp no.

Edited by Nick (log)

Probably from the same home demonstration thingy I have this hopeless cutter thing that has a wavy patterned blade. It is supposed to make "wavy cut vegetables for an attractive crudite tray". It was so big and klutzy and I never used it. So I threw it in the yard.

I had high hopes for the Kyocera julienne slicer. I had visions of mounds of julienne jicama slaw. It doesn't work, unless you are trying to make jicama or carrot juice. At that price I should send it back. :angry:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I would have to say it's the garlic press. I have one sitting in the drawer that has probably been used twice in 8 plus years. It's easier to chop the garlic with a knife.

I also have one of those apple slicer things - it's round and cuts through the apple making small wedges but leaves the core in tact. Again, a knife works just as well, if not better.

If I was smart I would just toss these things out as they take up precious space.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I just looked through the drawer and found a tea ball. When I was growing up we had a tea ball that never got used. I guess I'm just upholding an old family tradition. :biggrin:

I have many lonely tea balls, too.

And I use a toothpick to devein shrimp.

It's my flour duster. I can throw flour down onto a board just fine using only my hands :shock:

But what difference does it make? Since I'm completely incapable of throwing anything away, it'll stay in the kitchen until one of us dies :raz:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I have so many useless things, I don't know where to start. Most have been tossed in a box in the basement. Those roasting pan fork thingies, are in that box, too.

Once I almost had a complete collection of garlic presses. One day I used a cheese grater (1/8 inch holes) and expirimented. TaDa! Iuse it exclusively for garlic and ginger. I don't even peel. (The garlic peel stay on the top side) My cleaver is a runner up for garlic. When someone called a cleaver "a Chinese food processor" he wasn't far from wrong!

I've got a shrimp deveiner that actually works pretty well, and I've used it to do pounds of shrimp.

I agree with the garlic press, just as easy to whack with the bottom of the closest vinegar, soy sauce, worcester sauce or olive oil bottle and remove the skins &chop.

My other useless item is the single tine skewar that lets grilled foods do the "food spin" thing.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

The garlic press that I recieved when I got married has been used all of one or two times. I have moved it to three different houses and two apartments in the last twenty years. I have no idea why. :blink:

I have a tea ball, and haven't made tea in years. But since it is made of non reactive metal, I have found it very useful as a garni holder in soups. It actually works great for this purpose.

I have a top o' the line ricer that I need to put in someone's garage sale. Pain in the ass to use and worse to clean up. What's the point?

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I've argued this elsewhere, but I buy my garlic that has been already peeled at a cost around the same as unpeeled garlic. It's fresh. I can mince 2 or 3 cloves of garlic in 2 seconds, and I don't have a cutting board to clean up. The press is that easy. And I defy anyone to prove to me that finely minced garlic tastes any different when pushed through a press or when minced with a knife.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And I defy anyone to prove to me that finely minced garlic tastes any different when pushed through a press or when minced with a knife.

i think sam will be here in a matter of minutes to disprove your theory with scientific evidence and an eGCI course. :laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

Those stupid "wine charms" - little pendants you're supposed to wrap around the stem of your wine glass so you know which one is yours. I get them every Christmas it seems, as they're cheap and lots of people know I like wine.

I have never once ever, in my entire life, experienced "wine confusion". Does anybody really use these things?

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I have a tea ball, and haven't made tea in years. But since it is  made of non reactive metal, I have found it very useful as a garni holder in soups. It actually works great for this purpose.

Now there's an idea! Thanks!

I have never once ever, in my entire life, experienced "wine confusion". Does anybody really use these things?

you've never lost track of your glass when there are 3 or 4 on a table? i have, and i use those things whenever i think of it. the problem is, i always forget which freakin charm i am.

I have never once ever, in my entire life, experienced "wine confusion".  Does anybody really use these things?

you've never lost track of your glass when there are 3 or 4 on a table? i have, and i use those things whenever i think of it. the problem is, i always forget which freakin charm i am.

You're the pink clover.

Those things were invented for my mother-in-law. She easily goes through 4 different glasses at a party if she didn't have one. Hers is quite distinctive.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I use my tea ball all the time.