• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Banquet of 100 Families

liuzhou

mmexport1705891048765.thumb.jpg.bb845177e6acceaa2d057868409e3875.jpg

I was sent this by a friend who works in local government in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous county of Liuzhou prefecture. She has given me permission to share. In fact, she has asked me to share.

The Dong are one of China's 55 ethnic minorities and most live here.

This is a computer translation from my cell phone. I'm feeling lazy this morning.

The Banquet of Hundred Families of the Dong Nationality is a banquet for the Dong family to entertain guests collectively, and it is the highest etiquette for the Dong people to entertain guests, including eight processes: blocking the road to welcome guests, tasting oil tea, singing and dancing, explaining money, eating a hundred family meals, toasting, celebrating and seeing off guests. There is a saying that "eating a hundred family dinners, accepting a hundred family blessings, doing hundreds of things, and enjoying a hundred years of life." When night fell, the lights were on, the bridge was bright, and the guests from different places tasted hundreds of dishes and drank hundreds of wines, showing a warm and harmonious festive atmosphere.

I've been to a few of these banquets. Always a joy. I wrote at length about one such in this topic.

Note: 'Nationality' is a mistranslation of 'ethnic group'.

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou, what is meant by “explaining money”?

The other aspects of the celebration sound pretty terrific and a joyous way to come together.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

3 hours ago, BeeZee said:

@liuzhou, what is meant by “explaining money”?

The other aspects of the celebration sound pretty terrific and a joyous way to come together.

It's just an appalling mistranslation by the software. It should just be 'chat'.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto