• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: little ms foodie - Sauteing in Seattle

Thanks ms foodie for the lovely pics and food.  The dinner looks stunning.  Neat idea to serve the beef bourgignon on top of the garlic toasts.

You and bleu d'auvergne definately share some wonderful style and taste when it comes to menu selection, cooking and presentation.  To me this is a big compliment to both of you!

So--were you sufficiently happy with amuse to make it again?  It sounds like a intriguing combination; I haven't much had vanilla in a savory prep like that.

that is a very high compliment IMO, thank you!

The idea for the toast under the stew is actually from the barefoot contessa. I saw Ida do that, she rubbed the bread with a clove of garlic but since I had yummy roasted garlic butter on hand......

I definately am going to make the amuse again. I'm actually going to use larger pototoes to get more space but I think the flavors were really good! We tried lots of savory vanilla items in Tahiti and some work really well!

Wendy

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

I'm having some tea with milk in my office as I read thru the internet. Today is my last day blogging and I just want to say how fun it's been. I hope some of you reading have signed up to do a future blog!

This is the espresso maker that we have. We have only had it since August but like it pretty well. As I mentioned before Dayne is the main person who uses it and has tried all types of coffees, grinds, etc.

gallery_16100_3_1100057316.jpg

We did not like those pods! They didn't make any crema. We have found it best to grind our own. When we buy an espresso ground it is too fine, our machine doesn't have enough power to get the water forced through so it tastes really week.

On top is a cup warmer but unfortunately our cupboards are too low for the machine so we can't put the cups up on top or they would get knocked over when you opened the cupboard!

Wendy, I'm taking this opportunity to thank you for your blog, in case I don't get back here before it comes to an end. You presented us with a beautiful food pictorial! I now know how time-consuming blogging can be, and I appreciate all the time and effort you took to show us your home and your great city. I hope you enjoyed eG foodblogging as much as we enjoyed following your blog! Please give our compliments to Dayne as well. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

This has been one of the best blogs ever! I'll miss it when it's over.

Indeed! Thanks to Little Ms. Foodie (Wendy) for taking so much time to show us such an intimate snapshot of her food life and happiness.

I'm also proud of what you've shared with eGullet about Seattle and the Pacific Northwest. We have a lot of fine food, wine, and restaurants in our little blue corner of the country. :biggrin:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Wendy, the word "blog" sounds so unrefined for a description of this past weeks entrys.

Your writing reflects all the thought you put into meal selection and preparation and the photos make us feel that we're sitting right there next to you.

I think you've done a great job and look forward to seeing how things go on your last day.

Brava for a job well done !!

Edited by Foodie-Girl (log)

Thanks all for the ongoing words of encouragement! It makes it quite easy to take the time when people are so responsive.

Tonight is another Cooks and Books event that Dayne and I will be attending with some other eG folks from the PNW. I'm very excited for tonights dinner because #1 it's Andrea Immer

<<James Beard award winner and one of only eleven women in the world to qualify as a Master Sommelier, Andrea Immer is known for having one of the world's best wine palates. In her new book she proves that her taste for food is just as true, and she will join us for a dinner of truly memorable pairings of food and wine, and offer advice for making these choices easily and "every day".>>

#2 it's at a restaurant called Serafina. Dayne and I rented this out and had our wedding reception there just over a year ago. The people are so nice and the chef is awesome!!!

Serafina Website

Lunch today...

gallery_16100_3_1100554061.jpg

Fast food Seattle style, fried clams and chips

gallery_16100_3_1100554085.jpg

This Ivars is down on the pier which is just a few blocks from my office. In the summer it is tourist central! In the winter there is no line :biggrin: It is an outdoor stand but there is a covered picnic area with heat lights for those who like to sit outside and watch the ferries. There is also a nice Ivars restaurant attached.

Lunch was good but they only gave me 1 ketchup for my fries! I ran out half way thru and had to ration my tarter. I don't like the cocktail sauce I decided today! :laugh:

I've enjoyed reading a week in the life of Little Ms Foodie! Thanks so much for all the photos and The Good Eats in Seattle. :biggrin:

I'm always inspired to eat better, cook more, and buy better when I read a good blog.

Linda

I LOVE Seattle and have since I was a kid. Have dreamed of moving there and now I'm convinced I have to live there some day. Thank you, thank you for taking us to Ivars (my fave from childhood and more recently too) and Pike's Place and especially all the wonderful things you had to eat in your home. Fantastic, excellent, wonderful blog!

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

You know how they say that if you are craving sweets you should have a piece of fruit???

gallery_16100_3_1100561423.jpg

snack. Very yummy asian pear from our market. I love these! They are not overly juicy as I find regular pears to be sometimes (don't like juice all over my keyboard! :laugh: ) and just the right sweet tart tang that apples have.

I still want chocolate though!! :angry:

one thing that impressed me very much is what you shared about the matchbooks. I think that is a very romantic thing to do!

Chufi I'm glad you like that. We think it's important to remember all the places and things we've done together as best we can. It's nice to bring a bit of romance into your home after being at work and battling the world all day. It's very fun to grab them and say "oh look, remeber when we were here......" :smile:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Yeahhhh!! I'm really looking forward to our dinner tonight. I will probably end up posting the photos tomorrow morning. Soba said this was not a problem! Thanks Soba!

I'm staying away from the deli with all their pretty bags of chocolate in favor for my bottle of water. I don't want to spoil my dinner!!!

Great job, Wendy! Thanks for a glimpse into Seattle and your life.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wonderful blog, Wendy. Thank you for sharing your life with us. I'm sure you and Dayne will have many years of happiness based on what we've seen.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

This has been a terrific blog, on three counts:

1. Great food

2. Great scenery and photos (I've spent a bit of time in Seattle, including at Pike St Market, but not enough time)

3. Great romance.

You two seem to have taken to heart one of my favorite sayings, from The Secret Garden: "Where you tend a rose, a thistle cannot grow." May you live long and in great health and love. Thank you for sharing your lives and food with us this week.

Nancy

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Good morning,

I'm just going to finish up from our dinner last night. Some fellow PNW eGulleters, Mr and Mrs Toast, Really Nice! and ms. Really Nice! Dayne and I had dinner at Serafina for another Cooks and Books Series welcoming Andrea Immer.

The meal started with passed antipasti of Goat Cheese Canapes, Kusshi Oysters on the half shell, Bean and Black Olive Bruschetta, Polenta Pizzettes with Poached Pear and Gorgonzola all served with glasses of Blanc de Blancs Domaine Ste Michelle sparkling. The oysters were my favorite!

The first dishe was lemon herb prosciutto shrimp served with glasses of Pieropan Soave Classico Superiore 2002. I thought the shrimp were fantastic!

gallery_16100_3_1100622838.jpg

Next was Butternut Squash Risotto served with Barbera d'Alba Conterno Fantino "Vignota" 2002. The risotto unfortunately wasn't done enough but the squash was in cubes and not mushy! It was very good.

gallery_16100_3_1100622870.jpg

Andrea Immer came around to each table and was very gracious as she chatted while signing books.

gallery_16100_3_1100622894.jpg

Oloroso Sherry Glazed Pork Chops with Mushrooms were served with Barbaresco Poderi Colla "Roncaglia" 2001 which was decanted first. The pork chop was fantastic as was the pureed sweet potatoes that came with. Hald of mine is in the fridge at home! It was huge!!

gallery_16100_3_1100622926.jpg

Dessert was a soft cookie sandwich with mascarpone and cherries served with Moscato d'Asti Paolo Saracco 2003. The cookie reminded me of a whoopie pie! yum! I really liked the 'simplicity' of this. The dessert wine was quite unusual for me, kind of half sparkling but not all the way.

gallery_16100_3_1100622951.jpg

We had a really good time at dinner and enjoyed the company of our table!! Thanks you guys.

So that is a week in Seattle. I want to thank you all so much for taking the time to post your questions and comments. You made it very fun to share with you!!

Thanks again for reading, I hope you enjoyed!!

gallery_16100_3_1100374225.jpg

Wendy (& Dayne, Klondike and Bisou!) :biggrin:

It was a good time indeed! Even though it's not The French Laundry, :laugh: Ms Really Nice and I will be returning soon to Serafina as last night was our first time there.

Andrea is great lady, too. She was gracious enough to autograph a bottle of two buck chuck (gag gift for a friend who is a certified wine instructor).

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Many thanks! I have been following along even if I haven't posted!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

LMF, thank you for your great blog! Loved the pics of Seattle - and we actually did have lots of sun when we were there in October. Great city, great food. I think I need to make reservations to eat at your house the next time I get out there. :biggrin:

KathyM

Absolutely beautiful blog. Gorgeous, gorgeous food, and how great that you're so adventurous with your charming little amuses and whatnot.

I think that when I was your age (assuming, for the moment, that you are younger than me), doing something fancy meant adding ketchup to the meatloaf.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries