• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast!

pinkpau

most days, I have a bowl of mixed cereal, like a third cup of wheaties, a third cup of cheerios, and a third cup of raisin bran, with a half banana and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed with a cup of skim milk....afterwards, I'll have another fruit, like some cantaloupe, or a peach. Also, I have two cups of coffee about an hour before I eat.

Maybe one day a week, I'll splurge and have bacon and eggs and toast, or a eggs topped with chili verde along with some tortillas, or maybe some waffles or pancakes.

pinkpau welcome:)

in the winter i have hot oat bran cereal, it's like oatmeal. or farina on the weekends. and in the summer i have cheerios or kix. sometimes i splurge and have whole wheat pancakes with blueberries or bananas and walnuts. or an omlet. i love breakfast and am hoping to have all my friends over for a big sunday breakfast in the near future.

Welcome pinkpau!

Weekday mornings I have buttered toast with jam and sometimes Nutella with a mug of green tea. The past couple of days it's been a blowl of oatmeal, I like it topped with cinnamon sugar.

On the weekends, I'll make biscuits, eggs and sausages or pancakes for the family. Occasionally, I do a batch of pisang goreng (banana fritters), too.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I hardly ever ate breatfast before yesterday. :unsure: But I am on a diet now... :hmmm: ...and I have to. So it's whole grain crackers and cottage cheese or an egg or two. Always have hot water with lemon, or tea with lemon. If it's hot outside, I do iced coffee. Welcome aboard!

I've been on a papaya kick for a few months. Those big Miradols last a week. I'll cut a ring off, slice it in half, dispose of most but not all seeds (they are extremely good for you) then squeeze some lime all over it and Voila. That, a slice of bread if it's fresh and a zillion cups of Green Mountain Dark Magic makes my morning. :rolleyes:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Most mornings I go the cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats or Coco Pebbles) and milk route, but in the winter I go for oatmeal. When there's no milk in the house I eat yogurt.

A glass of orange or grapefruit juice and a vitamin C capsule round out the meal.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

That depends on which breakfast you're talking about. (I have two.)

Breakfast #1 usually consists of something like a whey/dextrose shake and maybe a bowl of cottage cheese or some fruit. Usually have this prior to working out or as soon as I get out of bed.

Breakfast #2 is usually more substantial, like the breakfast burrito I'm having now, or something like an egg white omelette.

My breakfasts are varied, yet fairly boring...compared to most eGers.

Soba

Often, for me, it's nothing but coffee. I have a midmorning snack instead, and those are very much a mixed bag. Today it was Ak-Mak crackers with Paula Wolfert's green-pepper ajvar :wub: on top. Holy Pete, is that stuff good.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

I'm a leftover girl. This morning it was lentil soup made with roasted peppers and dark french lentils. When I don't have leftovers, I eat a simple taco/burrito thing with anything I can find to fill it. I'm not a sweet morning person! but yes to tea: first cup = the finest green tea I can find in the cupboard, often jasmine, the second is english breakfast or earl grey.

first it's coffee

second it's a fruit smoothie, usually strawberries, mangoes, banana, peach...whatever is in season...a little OJ and finish with some ice and yogurt.

If I am still hungry after that I'll have scrapple and eggs

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Typically I have Coffee and fruit while sitting at my desk after getting to work. Today it was peaches- in Northern California they are really good right now.

If I am at home, I often make the Bob's Red Mill brand steel cut oats. (I don't really like his Scottish Style Oatmeal, as the Steel cut oats have a better texture.) I make them the way Cooks Illustrated does, by frying the oats in a little butter before cooking them in the milk/water mixture.

Though lately I have been on a sourdough pancake jag, with the starter I got years ago from a friend of my fathers...

I've been on a papaya kick for a few months.  Those big Miradols last a week.  I'll cut a ring off, slice it in half, dispose of most but not all seeds (they are extremely good for you) then squeeze some lime all over it and Voila.  That, a slice of bread if it's fresh and a zillion cups of Green Mountain Dark Magic makes my morning. :rolleyes:

For some reason, I read that as Vodka, and thought "whoa, that's some breakfast, johnnyd".

Me, I don't eat breakfast. If it's warm out, I drink some OJ or a yogurt shake. If it's cold out, it's milk tea.

morda

Most mornings it's cereal (lately it's something called "Heritage Flakes," but it can be Frosted Mini Wheats or whatever else is in the cereal container), and a small glass of OJ. Winters I usually eat half a red grapefruit, but now that summer's here, it's more often a quarter of a cantaloupe. In the winter, I like steel cut oats, too. On Sundays we usually have one of three things: whole wheat french toast, waffles, or pancakes.

Always followed by my big fat mug of green tea.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

what do people eat for breakfast? Or is there a similar thread around somewhere already?

Found using the eGullet Search engine:

favorite breakfast food, what's yours?

The Breakfast Thread, From eggs Benedict to sardine sandwiches

What's for breakfast?

And last but not least:

Hangover breakfast, after a long, hard session last night...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've been on a papaya kick for a few months.  Those big Miradols last a week.  I'll cut a ring off, slice it in half, dispose of most but not all seeds (they are extremely good for you) then squeeze some lime all over it and Voila.  That, a slice of bread if it's fresh and a zillion cups of Green Mountain Dark Magic makes my morning. :rolleyes:

That sounds like a wonderful way to kickstart the day. How do those papaya seeds taste, johnnyd? I like their visual appeal as garnishes/toppings on salads or desserts, but never chomped down on them.

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I'm not a morning person, so I don't eat much.

The most important thing for me is a cup of Irish breakfast tea brewed so strong you could stand on it, with milk and sugar.

Sometimes I have dry cereal and a glass of milk.... I don't eat the two combined because I don't like soggy cereal.

On a bad day it's a red bull and a cigarette in the car on the way to uni.

If you like breakfast, you'll love Mr. Breakfast.

I wish Saveur posted their old issues online. They had a great "best of" issue recently, which included lots of wonderful little mini-articles on breakfasts around the world....Ireland...Japan...Southern US...etc. etc. etc.

edited to fix link

Edited by alacarte (log)

i have to start my day with something to drink. it was muggy today so i had two cups of iced tea. lately i have been living off of iced coffee milk i whiz up in the blender.

what i actually eat, i find, is a function of when i ate dinner. i was working with food till late last night and didn't feel like eating dinner so by 8am i was hungry(got up at 6). heated up a plate of smooch - that macaroni, ground beef, tomato and onion concoction every one seems to know. tonight i work till seven and tomorrow till nine so i have to eat dinner sometime in the 4-5 pm hour - luckily there is more smooch leftover... :laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On work days my breakfast usually consists of a cup of really stong coffee and a nutrigrain bar as I am running out the door, but if I should actually have time, I will have a bowl of cereal as well.

Non work days... that is another matter. Portuguese sausage with rice, scrambled eggs, and fruit is my favorite, but a good corned beef hash with scrambled eggs and an english muffin would do as well.

Ochazuke with assorted pickles and miso will do in a pinch.

"Live every moment as if your hair were on fire" Zen Proverb

Welcome to eG, Pinkpau!

Coffee, always. Beyond that, I usually don't eat breakfast during the week, especially days that I work. (My job is part time. I am "semi-retired" :laugh: ) Sometimes I eat something small at 10 or 11:00, fruit or a bagel if I'm on the road and a light brunch or lunch if I'm home. That's when the left-overs come in for me. On weekends, we usually fix eggs, a breakfast meat and/or potatoes, sliced tomatoes, and OJ. On Sunday, often a more special brunch with drinks... either bubbly, stout, mimosas, or bloody marys.

Today was not a usual weekday. I made a discovery that crabcakes are really good with eggs. I was on call and had to go out early this morning, and when I got home I had the last of our leftover crabcakes for brunch. From now on, when I make crabcakes, I will be sure to make enough for even more leftovers.

i9847.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

without fail, my first drink in the morning is the biggest clean glass i can find full of cold water, then a cup of tea, (i'm on a chai fix at the moment)

foodwise, either total cereal or an egg with a slice of toast.

special breakfast for me are mushrooms slowly cooked in butter and garlic then grilled with fontina on thick toasted crusty bread.

for the more hearty winter days, black pudding grilled and topped with melted stilton and toast. don't eat too much of this kind of food though!! :biggrin: