• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crimes Against Food

Okay folks, my turn.

1) Omelettes made with uncooked vegetable fillings resulting in cooked eggs, undercooked crunchy vegetables, and watery residue released from said undercooked vegetables. They should be sauteed before they're put in an omlette.

2) Same for pizza. Please grill the mushrooms, onions, peppers BEFORE putting them on a pizza. Otherwise they make for a soggy crust.

3) Shredded potatoes being passed off as home fries. They're not.

4) As was said upthread, what exactly is the point of raspberry vinaigrette?

5) Sliced strawberries in an otherwise savory salad.

6) Crispy paper-like bottoms under my "over easy" eggs. I hate crispy eggs.

7) Food that needs salt added at the table. Disgraceful. Similarly, oversalted food.

8) Lukewarm soup, room temperature milk (shudder).

9) Ice cream on COLD pie--this was served to me recently at an otherwise lovely establishment in downtown DC--not even room temperature apple pie but refrigerator cold.

10) Fake mashed potatoes. Make them real, please, peel them and hold the garlic.

11) People who can make polenta, but who can't make decent grits.

12) Food that has been dumbed down, i.e., underseasoned Thai food. Ditto as was said upthread about candy-sweet Chinese food.

13) Broiled or grilled fish that is just grill marks on the outside and two inches of raw on the inside, because the chef insists that to cook it all the way through would result in dry fish. Not true. It can be done. I've done it. I have always suspected that this was just an excuse to get the food on and off the grill as quickly as possible.

Rant over for now.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

[...] 2) Same for pizza.  Please grill the mushrooms, onions, peppers BEFORE putting them on a pizza.  Otherwise they make for a soggy crust.[...]

Really? Not at the really excellent pizzerie I go to.

Michael aka "Pan"

margarine.

as a butter under-study, it's inadequate. it has been made with trans-fats since when we thought they were harmless. there's a reason they call it "I Can't Believe it's not..." :laugh:

and to think people laugh at our margarine laws here in quebec: :smile:Unilever loses court battle to sell coloured margarine in Quebec... clicky...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

[...] 2) Same for pizza.  Please grill the mushrooms, onions, peppers BEFORE putting them on a pizza.  Otherwise they make for a soggy crust.[...]

Okay Pan, where is this place? Unfortunately I've found this horrid practice at many so-called upscale pizzerias.

Also, soul food with no soul. A certain amount of grease/pork fat is expected, and no, smoked turkey wings in my black eyed peas don't cut it with me.

Oh and another pet peeve: microwaved "baked potatoes." Or anything prepared in a slipshod way by a restaurant because they don't think you'll notice the difference. I'm afraid that these days, however, for much of the restaurant going public, that assumption may be correct.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Okay Pan, where is this place? Unfortunately I've found this horrid practice at many so-called upscale pizzerias.

Also, soul food with no soul. A certain amount of grease/pork fat is expected[...]

Agreed on that.

For the pizza I'm talking about, you'll have to travel to New York. If you do, look through the NYC Pizza Survey thread.

Michael aka "Pan"

Also, soul food with no soul. A certain amount of grease/pork fat is expected[...]

For the pizza I'm talking about, you'll have to travel to New York. If you do, look through the NYC Pizza Survey thread.

Thanks, Pan. There are many things very easy to find in New York and very difficult to locate in the Metropolitan-DC area. Another one is outstanding Jewish deli food. Does eGullet have a Jewish deli thread(s). That would also be deeply appreciated.

Thanks, Pan. There are many things very easy to find in New York and very difficult to locate in the Metropolitan-DC area. Another one is outstanding Jewish deli food. Does eGullet have a Jewish deli thread(s). That would also be deeply appreciated.

I don't know of a catchall thread, but we've discussed Katz's a great deal, there's a long thread on good kosher places, and other kosher and non-kosher Jewish delis like 2nd Av. Deli, Barney Greengrass, and Carnegie Deli have been discussed, as well.

Michael aka "Pan"

OK my pet peeve is minor but it drives me crazy all the same.

Italian restaurants with pretty menus and pretty prices that ask me if I want freshly ground pepper on my pasta and then bring out the pre-grated and dried out Parmesan in a little bowl. Yuck!

Okay folks, my turn.

1) Omelettes made with uncooked vegetable fillings resulting in cooked eggs, undercooked crunchy vegetables, and watery residue released from said undercooked vegetables.  They should be sauteed before they're put in an omlette.

2) Same for pizza.  Please grill the mushrooms, onions, peppers BEFORE putting them on a pizza.  Otherwise they make for a soggy crust.

3) Shredded potatoes being passed off as home fries.  They're not.

6) Crispy paper-like bottoms under my "over easy" eggs.  I hate crispy eggs.

7) Food that needs salt added at the table.  Disgraceful.  Similarly, oversalted food.

9) Ice cream on COLD pie--this was served to me recently at an otherwise lovely establishment in downtown DC--not even room temperature apple pie but refrigerator cold.

10) Fake mashed potatoes.  Make them real, please, peel them and hold the garlic.

12) Food that has been dumbed down, i.e., underseasoned Thai food.  Ditto as was said upthread about candy-sweet Chinese food.

13) Broiled or grilled fish that is just grill marks on the outside and two inches of raw on the inside, because the chef insists that to cook it all the way through would result in dry fish.  Not true.  It can be done.  I've done it.  I have always suspected that this was just an excuse to get the food on and off the grill as quickly as possible.

Rant over for now.

DivaLasVegas, I would love to have you cook for me, but I would be too intimidated to cook for you! :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Okay folks, my turn.

7) Food that needs salt added at the table.  Disgraceful.  Similarly, oversalted food.

Rant over for now.

I can agree with everything else you said, but the salt thing? Who died and left you Ruler of the Salt Shaker? :biggrin:

sparrowgrass

Okay folks, my turn.

Rant over for now.

I can agree with everything else you said, but the salt thing? Who died and left you Ruler of the Salt Shaker? :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Okay folks, my turn.

1) Omelettes made with uncooked vegetable fillings resulting in cooked eggs, undercooked crunchy vegetables, and watery residue released from said undercooked vegetables.  They should be sauteed before they're put in an omlette.

2) Same for pizza.  Please grill the mushrooms, onions, peppers BEFORE putting them on a pizza.  Otherwise they make for a soggy crust.

3) Shredded potatoes being passed off as home fries.  They're not.

6) Crispy paper-like bottoms under my "over easy" eggs.  I hate crispy eggs.

10) Fake mashed potatoes.  Make them real, please, peel them and hold the garlic.

12) Food that has been dumbed down, i.e., underseasoned Thai food.  Ditto as was said upthread about candy-sweet Chinese food.

13) Broiled or grilled fish that is just grill marks on the outside and two inches of raw on the inside, because the chef insists that to cook it all the way through would result in dry fish.  Not true.  It can be done.  I've done it.  I have always suspected that this was just an excuse to get the food on and off the grill as quickly as possible.

Rant over for now.

DivaLasVegas, I would love to have you cook for me, but I would be too intimidated to cook for you! :smile:

Oh no, Susan. I'm real easy to cook for, I swear. I'm only this demanding in writing. :laugh::laugh::laugh: And since you are a member of eGullet I know you are either: a) great cook, b) a good cook, c) interested in becoming a great or good cook, d) appreciate and/or want to learn about REAL food, e) some combo of a, b, c, d.

I have no professional training, but I was raised by an excellent Southern gal/country cook who also had no professional training. She always stressed getting the best and freshest ingredients you could lay your hands on, how to tell if they were the best and freshest and to prepare them pretty simply. While she was pretty conservative about venturing into other cuisines, I'll try anything at least once and would love to become more adventurous in my own cooking style.

So please pardon my rantings and send me an invitation! :biggrin:

Okay folks, my turn.

Rant over for now.

Haven't you heard? There was a late night session last night and there's been a bipartisan vote in Congress to overwhelmingly giving me absolutely authority over all salt shakers in the United States as well as all of her territories!!! :biggrin:

:angry: Scrambled eggs cooked on a griddle and overdone omlettes. DANG, man; use a frying pan and some butter, fergawdssake! :wink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Oh no, Susan.  I'm real easy to cook for, I swear.  I'm only this demanding in writing.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: And since you are a member of eGullet I know you are either: a) great cook, b) a good cook, c) interested in becoming a great or good cook, d) appreciate and/or want to learn about REAL food, e) some combo of a, b, c, d.

I have no professional training, but I was raised by an excellent Southern gal/country cook who also had no professional training.  She always stressed getting the best and freshest ingredients you could lay your hands on, how to tell if they were the best and freshest and to prepare them pretty simply.  While she was pretty conservative about venturing into other cuisines, I'll try anything at least once and would love to become more adventurous in my own cooking style.

So please pardon my rantings and send me an invitation! :biggrin:

I can go with that... good response!

Let me know if you "happen to be in the neighborhood"!

:smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Sugar in cornbread!

I'll take sweet cornbread anytime, mmmmmm! :raz:

Edited by afn33282 (log)
Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

The Curse of the Meaningless Garnish.

Squiggles of Brown Syrup or Red Syrup randomly written under my cake, whether or not it is a sort of cake that would harmonize with Brown or Red Syrup. Dried parsley, or paprika, shaken about the borders of a plate. The Curly Parsley Sprig (which I am convinced gets picked off each plate, rinsed off and reused, since as everyone knows curly parsley is really made in Japan).

If it's going to be garnished, make it a good, edible one that goes with the dish. Otherwise, I'd just like my food, please.

Thank you so much for mentioning this!!! It drives me crazy. Especially every dessert under the sun being garnished with a sprig of mint, whether the dessert has mint flavor in it or not, [edited]oops! already been mentioned, but I think it could stand for another mention, darn it![/edit] and a spring of rosemary being stuck into every entree under heaven..... :blink:

Edited by afn33282 (log)
Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

3. RASPBERRY VINAGRETTE.

Hate to say it, but I used to love Ken's Steak House Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette, that is before they stopped selling it.... Now they only sell the "Lite" version, which is shite.... :shock:

As a consumer ...

-Potatoes processed almost to glue (use a ricer, dammit)

-Beef stuffed with seafood (yes, I have seen crab-stuffed filet mignon)

-Margarine subbed for butter

-Low-fat cheese.

ewwww.....

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I guess it's all about what you grow up with, and having recently moved to the States I am disturbed by the populrity of the number of "Grape" flavoured things. To me, it is truly vile and bears absolutely no resemblence to any grape I have ever eaten

I also can't stand it when a restaurant drowns everthing in olive oil. I know some dishes need a little splash at the end, but it shouldn't be swimming in the stuff.

I too am annoyed when I see people pour soy sauce on something without tasting it first.

That goes for more than Chinese food - I can't stand it when someone puts salt or pepper all over something without tasting it first. Give the chef a chance, for crying out loud!

Hmmm, other pet peeves...

- Starbucks coffee (burnt, burnt, burnt)

- Whipped cream that's too sweet to do what it's meant to do (temper the sweetness of the dessert)

- Too much cilantro - ick

- Cooking wines (Does ANYONE buy these anymore? Why are they still on the shelves?)

- Meat cooked beyond medium-rare (Why? WHY?)

- Pasta sauce in a jar (Again, why? It's so easy to make a quick, delicious sauce - what's the point?)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I guess it's all about what you grow up with, and having recently moved to the States I am disturbed by the populrity of the number of "Grape" flavoured things.  To me, it is truly vile and bears absolutely no resemblence to any grape I have ever eaten

I also can't stand it when a restaurant drowns everthing in olive oil.  I know some dishes need a little splash at the end, but it shouldn't be swimming in the stuff.

Ditto. I grew up in the US, but we never had grape-flavored anything in the house (except, of course, for Dimetapp!). The grape-flavored jams, jellies, popsicles, etc. - all absolutely, universally horrid.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I guess it's all about what you grow up with, and having recently moved to the States I am disturbed by the populrity of the number of "Grape" flavoured things.  To me, it is truly vile and bears absolutely no resemblence to any grape I have ever eaten

I also can't stand it when a restaurant drowns everthing in olive oil.  I know some dishes need a little splash at the end, but it shouldn't be swimming in the stuff.

Ditto. I grew up in the US, but we never had grape-flavored anything in the house (except, of course, for Dimetapp!). The grape-flavored jams, jellies, popsicles, etc. - all absolutely, universally horrid.

and of course, with the exception of Grape Nehi, all those "grape flavored" things taste mostly like Dimetapp (or however you spell that awful cold medicine liquid).

Robin Tyler McWaters