• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

bloviatrix

Lemon Curd: The Topic

3 hours ago, Soupcon said:

I love lemon curd and make my own using whole eggs and no water bath. It does come to a boil and does not curdle. I am wondering how to can lemon curd (or even if it is possible to can lemon curd) as I cannot possibly eat the quantity I make over a short period of time without gaining weight precipitously. Any thoughts on how to achieve this. I do have a pressure canner but not enough freezer space to contemplate freezing it.

You can water bath can lemon curd though the pH should be sufficiently acidic so most safety-oriented preserving sites like this one will recommend using bottled lemon juice since the acidity of fresh lemons is so variable. 

14 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

You can water bath can lemon curd though the pH should be sufficiently acidic so most safety-oriented preserving sites like this one will recommend using bottled lemon juice since the acidity of fresh lemons is so variable. 

Thank you for the reply. Any clue as to what pH I need the lemon juice to be so that it is acidic enough as I hate bottled lemon or lime juice. Perhaps also adding citric acid if it is not the correct pH might also help. Litmus paper for testing pH can't be that hard to acquire. Water bath preserving is much easier to do in small batches (like 8  8oz  bottles) as my pressure canner is quite large and I would hate to fire it up for such a small quantity.

This site which I have found to be mainly reliable suggests that you can water bath  process lemon curd but that even having done that it will need to be refrigerated. However they are giving a refrigerated shelflife of three months  which might be helpful.  Once open however even refrigerated the shelf life is  short. 

Here.

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This site which I have found to be mainly reliable suggests that you can water bath  process lemon curd but that even having done that it will need to be refrigerated. However they are giving a refrigerated shelflife of three months  which might be helpful.  Once open however even refrigerated the shelf life is  short. 

Here.

@ Anna N

Thanks for the suggestion. I am afraid I am the only one in my family who likes lemon curd and I doubt that I can consume 2 quarts in probably 4 months. The curd I make is actually quite tart unlike most of the other recipes I have found and is fool proof but does make large amounts for a single person to consume.  Which is why I was looking for a way to preserve the curd without ruining it and also not taking up freezer space. Looks like the freezer is the only route I have left. 

What prevents you from cutting down the recipe?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

@Anna N Never too late to reply. Well I have found a method for making lemon curd in a blender (Vitamix or blender of it's kind) which can be made in about 6 minutes. The Vitamix does all the cooking. I usually use a recipe calling for whole eggs and which brings the curd to a simmer for a minute to two and tweaked it for the Vitamix. Bloody genius. The finished product needs to be stashed in the fridge to set. Yummmm. See "thekitchn.com for the method. Use what ever recipe you like and tweak it to fit. 

• Like 4

This is a simple little raspberry tart with lemon curd that I do every year at this time.  Just a shortbread pastry in a small mold, lemon curd and fresh raspberries.  It's good with whipped cream or ice cream.  I couldn't find an old photo but I also do a raspberry napoleon with layers of puff pastry, lemon curd and raspberries, then a dusting of powdered sugar on top.  Not fancy but easy to make and delicious when the raspberries are in season.Raspberry.JPG

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

18 hours ago, Soupcon said:

@Anna N Never too late to reply. Well I have found a method for making lemon curd in a blender (Vitamix or blender of it's kind) which can be made in about 6 minutes. The Vitamix does all the cooking. I usually use a recipe calling for whole eggs and which brings the curd to a simmer for a minute to two and tweaked it for the Vitamix. Bloody genius. The finished product needs to be stashed in the fridge to set. Yummmm. See "thekitchn.com for the method. Use what ever recipe you like and tweak it to fit. 

I've bookmarked that one for future use. I do love me some lemon curd, and since I lucked into a (vintage) Vitamix at the thrift store for $25 I've been looking for reasons to use it (I prefer a stick blender for soups, and I don't do smoothies, so it hasn't seen a lot of play so far).

• Like 2