• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rapid Lemoncurd

Almondmeal

I am not really a big fan of acidic flavor but once in a while I like something tangy to wash off the stale taste in my mouth and I find Lemoncurd ∫to be the best dessert for that. The basic ingredients for Lemoncurd are : Lemon juice, Sugar, Eggs and Butter. I realized through many recipe that I have gone through requires corn starch as well for making Lemon curd. I guess the reason is obvious, corn starch are usually used as a thickening agent but I find cornstarch leaves a kind of unpleasant flavor for the curd.

The method of making a lemon curd usually comes down to whisking the eggs and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and then adding lemon juice and butter or sometimes corn starch, then keep whisking the mixture until it thickens. But do not get me wrong, this method is the most original way of making Lemon curd and usually the results are not bad all, except the taste if you are using cornstarch.

But one week ago, I witnessed my chef making the most straightforward and easiest method of producing a Lemoncurd that I never thought existed! That is to microwave them. Then I searched online for this method and turns out that Lemoncurd can easily be done without the hassle of heating up the stove. All you need in one bowl and a microwave. :)

The method is fairly simple:

First, you heat up the lemon puree (which is 70% pure lemon juice and 30% sugar) and castor sugar with a microwavable bowl in the microwave until it is just hot enough or until the sugar dissolves.

Then you add the eggs (lightly beaten beforehand) with the puree and whisk to combine.

Heat the mixture again in the microwave for 20 seconds. After the 20 seconds, take the bowl out and whisk the mixture then put the bowl back in the microwave for another 20 seconds and whisk. Repeat this step until mixtures thickens and seems like a blob.

Finally, add in the butter mixture, and using a barmix, mix the butter in to the Lemon curd until thoroughly mixed through. Cling wrap the bowl and put in fridge to cool before use.

And there, you have a Lemon curd in less than 3 minutes!!!

The ingredients?

The ingredients is even more simple! That is the equal amount of everything. Which means, Equal measurements (in grams) of lemon puree, sugar, eggs and butter!

The ratio that I use would be:

500 g Lemon Puree

500 g Castor sugar

500 g Whole eggs

500 g Unsalted Butter

The reason for using butter in lemon curd is for a smoother texture and butter helps the curd to set too to a certain consistency and it works and taste better than having to use cornstarch, I reckon!

• Like 1