• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Make Your Own Belly Bombs

Jason Perlow

I seem to remember Pepperidge Farms making dinner rolls that were perfectly sized.

Also, some friends once made a huge batch of homemade sliders & couldn't find appropriate bread. So, they went to a White Castle and just bought a bunch of their buns!

ohh....i got confused....belly bombs = sliders = white castles to me. I didn't know jersey had a whole bellybomb subculture going. carry on and disregard me. :biggrin:

Yeah, we have our share of artisinally produced belly bombs in NJ, all sorts of very small chains. White Manna only has 2 stores, and White Rose has only a couple as well.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

as long as they carry on the white theme.

are their rolls soft like white castle, krystal, et al?

White Manna uses potato rolls, see the pics in the link above. Not sure what White Rose uses.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Reading and looking at this thread makes me realize that we are one sick bunch, but I'm with you 100%!

HC

You're just figuring this out :wink:

Now the sushi I picked up on the way home from work doesn't look as appealing.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I dare you to come up with a cloning of the White Castle way now that you've done the White Manna way. :smile: Just to see if it's possible.

Actually, technically the Manna way is to make 'em into little meatballs and smush them into onions when you grill them (EDIT - duh, you mentioned that yourself later). Your system seems like some weird hybrid of the Manna and Castle systems. But the Castle bugers always have that "steamed" aspect to them.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Actually, the second round with the holes punched in them (as per the #5 side of a die) with the flat end of a bamboo skewer, cooked quicker and the resultant burgers were flatter. The unpunched ones puffed up a bit. Therefore docking is recommended.

I always make burgers (slider-style or on the Weber) with a little hole in the middle to prevent the puff factor.

I do believe that one difference between belly bombs and White Castle sliders is that the latter are steamed. But, I could be wrong.

Gives me a hankering for sliders. Often, if we leave for The Cabin in the morning, we stop at the White Castle in Hinkley for sliders for breakfast. YUM!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Your system seems like some weird hybrid of the Manna and Castle systems.

Yeah, but I kinda like it, though.

• 9 months later...

I just saw 'Harold & Kumar go to White Castle' last night, and now have the most incredible urge for one. Or a dozen. Of course, there aren't any locally.

For that then, Jason & Rachel, I owe much thanks for this thread. My husband and I shall eat like young, freewheeling stoners tonight. :wub:

• 11 months later...
I have a serious hankering for some belly bombs right now.  The problem is I'm on a cutting diet.  :shock:

Stan, what is a "cutting diet"? I've heard of the term "reducing diet" to lose weight, but I've met you and you hardly need to lose weight! In fact, you could use a few belly bombs! If you don't want to use the fattier ground beef, you could use extra lean or ground chicken or turkey. However, if using the leaner meat, add extra onions for their moisture content (and/or additional vegetables, like grated carrots or red bell pepper).

Yeah it would totally work with ground turkey. Sassy's Sliders in NYC makes them that way.

Reminds me of the little burger we used to make that was prime or kobe scraps ground together with about 25% foie scraps to make what we called "Crystal" Burgers. We served them on Hawaiin rolls topped with dijonaise, ket., pickle and applewood smoke bacon. Sin-worthy. Served it with an infamous foie and vanilla milkshake!

Back in the late 60's, while developing frozen hamburger patties for McD's, I visited the Swift plant in, I think, Minneapolis. At the time they made the patties for White Castle. I saw those patties coming off the line after being formed. More white than red. I don't know the fat percentage but it was way above 20%.

Any idea what your patties weighed in at Jason?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I have a serious hankering for some belly bombs right now.  The problem is I'm on a cutting diet.   :shock:

Stan, what is a "cutting diet"? I've heard of the term "reducing diet" to lose weight, but I've met you and you hardly need to lose weight! In fact, you could use a few belly bombs! If you don't want to use the fattier ground beef, you could use extra lean or ground chicken or turkey. However, if using the leaner meat, add extra onions for their moisture content (and/or additional vegetables, like grated carrots or red bell pepper).

Without going too off-topic: The PSMF diet explained. PM me if you want to know additional details. Trust me, it's not pretty. :wink:

I made mini square burgers with lamb, I used martin mini dinner rolls.. Made a double decker with chedder and onions..

Yeah- those Martin's potato rolls rule. I did some of these last month- I'm not sure if we used the 'dinner rolls' or not but there were three sizes in the store and I got the smallest. I did mine White Manna style by pressing the meat into the cooking onions. Great drool inducing photos, btw.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."