• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Black & White Foods

LEdlund

My book club just read Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane and the food theme for our discussion is Film Noir, Black and White Food. I'm looking for some creative suggestions. My first thought was a jicama slaw with black sesame seeds. Any others?

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Go to any recipe or "home magazine" site and search halloween menus/recipes. They always seem to have black and white themed foods around that time. I remember a cauwliflower soup drizzled with syrupy balsamic, squid ink pastas, etc.

Dessert is easy, a super dark and dense chocolate layer cake with vanilla ice cream, you can never go wrong with that. :smile:

Actually, there is some historical reason to choosing 'squid ink' as an ingredient. The latin name for cuttlefish is Sepia officinalis and, apparently, the ink from the cuttlefish was originally used as the very deep brown tint for photographic film. Think sepia-toned photographs or movies.

In the US, squid ink is as close as you will get to cuttlefish ink. The color is quite similar but the flavor of cuttlefish ink is more delicate.

The black and white contrast that you will certainly get if you serve squid ink pasta or, better yet, squid ink risotto is the wonderful (temporary) black staining of people's white teeth when they smile.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I just saw a Wolfgang Puck episode on FTV, and he featured some white honey from Hawaii. Pretty hard to get ahold of, though.

You can find it at many gourmet stores these days. I saw it at D&D in New York, and even at a catering shop in Ottawa, Canada.

Don't ignore the obvious: Black and whites. You know, those big cookies that are glazed with half chocolate and half vanilla. When they're done well, they're excellent.

You also might consider some poppyseed bagels if you have the right setup (a big if). Or any other kind of baked thing with poppyseeds - strudel, cookies, or how about hamantashen for the seasonal effect?

Michael aka "Pan"

Oh, another obvious thing would be any sweet with dark chocolate and flour - marbled cake, pie, cookies of certain descriptions, crepes.

Michael aka "Pan"

Be sure and have a bowl of B&W M&Ms on hand.

You can get these now?

Thanks for the suggestions..... Jon, We don't really have a budget, but we drink too much wine to truly appreciate anything with black truffles :biggrin:

Pan, I love the poppy seed bagel idea, if nothing else for its ease (I have to go there directly from work). And I had also thought about making Black and Whites.

When I called my local pasta purveyor to make sure they had squid ink pasta, they suggested a salad using chinese black rice. Their recipe sounded a little boring, does anyone have ideas to jazz this up (sticking to the theme of course)?

panna cotta or a coeur a la creme served with a dark chocolate sauce

turkey mole garnished with sesame seeds

pureed black bean soup garnished with sour cream or creme fraiche

James Beard's Spring Onion Sandwhiches: (crustless white bread squares spread with mayo, thin slices of sweet or spring onion between, dip edges in thinned mayo and roll edges in poppyseeds rather than the usual parsley)

If it's possible to have some dishes that are either white or black that would extend the possiblities.

'white' chez panisse-inspired salad: paper thin slices of mushrooms, fennel, season with s&p, evoo, lemon juice and shavings of parmesean.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

From the digest I did of the 2004 March issue of Bon Appetit-

black food: Black Kale, Black Rice, Black Blavod Vodka

And Black & White Russians to drink. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sushi--some with white sesame seed some w/ black?

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Plain ole hard-boiled eggs. Take out the yolk, restuff with a black olive tapenade, then put them back together and place on nests of that black kale.

Or better yet --- caviar! :wub:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Plain ole hard-boiled eggs. Take out the yolk, restuff with a black olive tapenade, then put them back together and place on nests of that black kale.

I love this idea! Especially since I have all the ingredients in my refrigerator.

oooohhhhhhhh

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Yeah, I spent all kinds of time trying to think up a way to use the yolk and make it black, but they all sounded yucky, and then bigbear said the black and white pizza, and olives sounded good. I'd thought about caviar, but that could get pretty pricy to stuff an egg full of, considering how many people you have. Eggs are a good buy right now, what with 90 million munchkins getting ready to dye them.

For caviar, what about some kind of a take on dominoes, with a white rectangular base, and caviar used as the dots?

How about really dark bittersweet chocolate brownies with a swirl of cream cheese in them?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Beat me to it. :biggrin: