• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Blog: Squeat Mungry

Re: the cheese list. If you've never tried them, the Major Farms cheeses are spectacular. Vermont Shepherd was awarded Best in Show from the American Cheese Society in 2000. The Majors learned their craft in the French Pyrenees and their maturing process was established by a woman who used to mature for Neal's Yard. Good stuff.

This is one of Squeat's dilemmas: he loves to cook, but lives alone, and at the same time hates to waste food!

Woah.

I have to admit, in my eGullet newbieness, that I've been happily walking through the marketplace with Squeat assuming he was female! I have no idea why I thought that. This is a strange communication medium. Not that it makes any difference at all, your writing is great. I'm glad to be along for the ride.

So, back on topic...

Squeat, do you usually go to the market with a list? Or just wander around and buy what appeals and hope it all goes to a good end? And how often do you make the trip? I have great daydreams of being able to shop daily at a place like that. Just the cheese alone is incredible.

And the idea of Lonely Trout Caviar is just funny. I wonder if that is really what it was?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

(Me (joyful): "Okay, it looks like the ciabatta's in the oven and they're gonna get it for me right now! Excellent! It's piping hot right out of the oven! All right!!! Scored a ciabatta right out of the oven!!")

I believe in instant gratitfication. If it was me buying that ciabatta I would have torn into right then and there. How did you manage to bring it home in one piece and savor itover several meals?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

(??? Sounds like "hombo". Sorry, I don't know much about fish! I wonder if this could have been "combo", but what the hell would that mean?)

Could it be 'rombo' which is what the Italians call turbot? Just curious. (Rombo/turbot is a reasonably ugly flatfish with very tasty flesh.)

slbunge, I think you are probably right! The fishing industry in San Francisco was largely initiated and developed by Italian immigrants. Even today, many fisherman and fishmongers are of Italian-American decent, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they used an Italian term for turbot. I'll listen again when I get home and see if that sounds right. I didn't think it could be 'combo', because I don't remember seeing anything like a 'mixed bag' of seafood. I do remember seeing flatfish, though.

Cheers,

Squeat

Re: the cheese list. If you've never tried them, the Major Farms cheeses are spectacular. Vermont Shepherd was awarded Best in Show from the American Cheese Society in 2000. The Majors learned their craft in the French Pyrenees and their maturing process was established by a woman who used to mature for Neal's Yard. Good stuff.

GG, Thanks! I will definitely pick up some of the Vermont Shepherd next Saturday!

This is one of Squeat's dilemmas: he loves to cook, but lives alone, and at the same time hates to waste food!

Woah.

I have to admit, in my eGullet newbieness, that I've been happily walking through the marketplace with Squeat assuming he was female! I have no idea why I thought that. This is a strange communication medium. Not that it makes any difference at all, your writing is great. I'm glad to be along for the ride.

So, back on topic...

Squeat, do you usually go to the market with a list? Or just wander around and buy what appeals and hope it all goes to a good end? And how often do you make the trip? I have great daydreams of being able to shop daily at a place like that. Just the cheese alone is incredible.

And the idea of Lonely Trout Caviar is just funny. I wonder if that is really what it was?

Cusina, :biggrin: I've definitely got a Y chromosome!

As for shopping, I do my major shopping for the week on Saturdays at the FM. I don't take a list. Typically I get some coffee and walk around the entire market, seeing what looks good and formulating some seminal recipes/meal plans in my head. Then I start shopping, trying to buy things in an order that will call for the least rearranging of my bags (I take one canvas and one string bag). It's usually based on what looks most appealing at the time.

I do the real planning when I get home, based on what I've got. If I want to try a particular recipe from a book or magazine or newspaper, I'll go over its ingredient list. Fortunately, if I need additiional stuff, I've got that produce store a block away!

I'm going to have to check next week on the Lonely Trout Caviar, though I have to say that sounds more appealing than 'Barely Trout Caviar'!

Cheers,

Squeat

bloviatrix,

When I first got that ciabatta, I had to hold it by the edge of the bag, it was so hot! I had to carry it around for a long time in my left hand before I put it in my bag for fear it would wilt my greens! After it cooled a bit, though, I have to admit it was hard to keep from just biting right into it!

Squeat

Okay, so everyone here at the office has decided to set their hair on fire again today. So I had to tag one of the techs who was going to get some lunch to bring me something back. No problem. Where's he headed? Top Dog!! Arrrrrrrrgh! Hot dog for lunch twice in three days... I should be fired from the foodblog!

Oh well, at least people seem to be enjoying the Farmer's Market reports. Sigh. And I had just thought of some more comments I wanted to make about Mexican food in the City and the FM and other markets in the area! Will have to wait.

Hastily and apologetically,

Ashamed Squeat

Don't be ashamed Squeat - your descriptions of all the other food, even the market food you didn't eat, more than make up for having hot dogs twice. :biggrin:

Now that you have listed the cheeses, breads, caviar etc at FM I am beyond jealous that somewhere in the world there is a market like that - words fail me .................................

Thanks for the description of the mexican - as I suspected like nothing I have ever come across here.

Hope you enjoy the hot dog!

Squeat I am loving this blog!

at the same time it is making me incredibly jealous! :angry:

I don't think I have access to anything you list at the farmer's market............

I think on my next trip to the US I am going to stop off at my Uncle's house in San Francisco for a bit, he has always been saying I should stop by.......

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Misgabi you know I would never hold out on you!

In fact I have been working on (what I sincerely hope is) the final installment of the Farmers' Market account!

Tonight I went out with my coworker/one-of-my-best-friends for (quite) a few cocktails to unwind and "deconstruct" our recent workweek(s). It was fruitful and enlightening and left me with a pleasant buzz.

Unwilling (and unable) to dazzle with another toaster-oven Squeat special, I ordered take-out from a local eatery, "Chow". I ordered their 'burger royale'. Chow has drifted somewhat downhill (it was truly excellent for its pricepoint when it opened, and is still good value for money for those on a budget), but still serves decent food and is a godsend for people like me who live alone in the vicinity.

They serve Niman Ranch (high-quality) beef, and are willing to serve a rare burger, which gives them extra points in my book! I had the burger with their fries, which are some of the best obtainable in San Francisco (which, alas, is not saying all that much). (They do serve Graffeo coffee, however, which we all know how I feel about!)

Anyway, I'm reminded that I wanted to say a little more about Mexican food in San Francisco. I live on the edge of the Mission District, in the oldest part of the City. The Mission (founded by Spanish missionaries during the conquest) was at one time a German/Irish ethnic neighborhood, but now is regarded as a Mexican-American neighborhood, with many of its residents also originating from other places in Latin America. An area bordering quite near my house, the "Valencia Corridor", is peppered with taquerias and Mexican restaurants, and it is not uncommon on Friday and Saturday nights to encounter wandering mariachi bands working their ways from restaurant to restaurant!

The other thing I wanted to say a little about is the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market, and farmers' markets in general. The Ferry Plaza Market is truly an amazing place, but is regarded by many as prohibitively expensive. I think this point of view has merit, and I refer everyone to the prices I have listed above. There are deals to be found there, however.

Fortunately, San Francisco has alternatives for purchasing locally-grown produce directly from the farmers. Each Wednesday, there is a farmers' market in the United Nations Plaza (many don't realize it, but San Francisco is the birthplace of the United Nations) in the Civic Center. From my observation, this market features smaller producers who are less interested in flash and glamour and more (or at least as) interested in offering high-quality goods to a broad base of consumers, including many who for whatever reasons do not shop the highly profiled Ferry Building market. The prices at this market generally speaking are much more affordable, and I miss shopping here. (I used to buy at the Civic Center market when I worked in the City. Now, alas, it is impracticable for me.)

There is another market as well, on Alemany, which has similar advantages to the UN Plaza market, I'm told, but I have never been able to shop there, as it is inaccessible by public transportation, and I haven't owned a car in 15 years!

There is a brand new market I've only heard about (it has opened since the highly-publicized re-opening of Ferry Plaza) at, I believe, Fillmore and Eddy, but I have not been. (I would imagine it is more like the Ferry Plaza than Alemany or UN Plaza.)

A slightly drunk and rambling Squeat

Edited for typing when tipsy

Edited by Squeat Mungry (log)

The other thing I wanted to say a little about is the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market, and farmers' markets in general. The Ferry Plaza Market is truly an amazing place, but is regarded by many as prohibitively expensive. I think this point of view has merit, and I refer everyone to the prices I have listed above. There are deals to be found there, however.

The shops inside the ferry building are reasonably high priced. I would agree with you that the vendors at the saturday market are charging a bit more than the other local farmers markets, but it's not significantly more. The market here in Napa is maybe 10% cheaper, but it's only open Tuesday mornings from May until November. Besides, it's nice to take the boat in to go grocery shopping on a Saturday morning, so I'm happy to go a few times a month.

Melkor, I appreciate your observations, and they are important ones about which I have not been very eloquent. The Ferry Plaza Market is a marvel and a blessing, and I would not go there habitually each Saturday if I did not believe I could get value for money. And I do appreciate it aesthetically as well. It would be hypocritical of me to pretend otherwise! (Why else would I have made such a public fool of myself in order to share the experience?) I was merely trying to point out to those unfamiliar with the area that there are also alternatives to the hype to which I've helped contribute!

On this blog, people have expressed envy for me... but I feel envy for you! Napa is one of the most beautiful places in one of the most beautiful regions in the world, and all of my luckier friends have already moved there!

Cheers,

Squeat

Living up here is nice, but it's a royal pain in the ass to get anywhere, there is no reasonable fish monger nor is there a reasonable butcher anywhere in the valley. We do have an endless supply of places to eat, but most of them are serving unremarkable food to clueless tourists and everything is expensive. The good news is everyone I do business with is excited to come up to meet with me, so I rarely have to travel. When I do have to go meet with someone it's been at the ferry building in SF recently as the wine bar there is my new second office.

Misgabi you know I would never hold out on you!

Good to hear. It was just so long since we had heard from you, I was beginning to worry :biggrin:

Mmmmmmmmmmm rare burgers - very hard to get people to do this for you, even worse is trying to order a really rare steak. Apparently some people don't realise you know what you actually like :shock:

Are you enjoying your blog or is work getting in the way? You seem to be coping alright without the stove. You will have to post once the "magic-whatever-toasty-thing-bags" turn up and tell us what amazing concoctions you have come up with.

Okay, lunch was pizza, at a mandatory all-hands meeting. To their credit, they did order in from the most celebrated pizza parlor in the East Bay, Zachary's in Berkeley. This is deep-dish Chicago style pizza. Personally, I have never seen what the fuss is about, but it is always popular. (To me the pies seem invariably to be soggy and the flavors unimaginitive and poorly executed.) There were several options, including mushroom/pepperoni, chicken(?!?), and vegetarian spinach. There were also two regular style non-deep dish pizzas: Hawai'ian (pineapple and Canadian bacon), and plain old pepperoni. I had two slices of the latter.

It is an oft-lamented fact that there just is no decent pizza in San Francisco. Some of it is edible, even quite tasty, but anyone who has a had a good New York street slice or the Neapolitan real thing will agree there is no comparison!

More soon,

Squeat

Mmmmmmmmmmm rare burgers - very hard to get people to do this for you, even worse is trying to order a really rare steak.  Apparently some people don't realise you know what you actually like  :shock:

Are you enjoying your blog or is work getting in the way?  You seem to be coping alright without the stove.  You will have to post once the "magic-whatever-toasty-thing-bags" turn up and tell us what amazing concoctions you have come up with.

Misgabi,

Chow is great for this! When I order my rib-eye steak "black and blue", they know just what to do!

Squeat

PS I'm really loving blogging, but it certainly has been a week from hell here at the office!

It is an oft-lamented fact that there just is no decent pizza in San Francisco. Some of it is edible, even quite tasty, but anyone who has a had a good New York street slice or the Neapolitan real thing will agree there is no comparison!

I used to get slices at Blondie's I think it was on... Kearney? Somewhere right off Market. On the west side of the street.

elyse,

Yes Blondie's is still there on Kearney, near the cablecar turnaround. It's good pie, but a little too bready for my taste. Did you ever try Arinell's on Valencia near 16th? In my opinion, it's the best in the City (and naturally the closest approximation to a Manhattan/Brooklyn "slice")! Pauline's gets raves from some people, but I'm not a fan of the cornmeal crust.

Cheers,

Squeat

Who, if there is any mercy in the universe, will get to go home in two hours!!

You would be wise to do that, although Arinell's is in the same block and is actually quite good, if not the real thing! Plus, I could steer you towards a few places that beat out El Cumbre for certain things, but not for carnitas burritos!

So I'm finally at home (it's now 8:05 pm here). I'm completely exhausted, but grateful that this hellacious workweek is finally over!!

On the way home I delivered a package from the office to an office downtown. (I wasn't hired as a delivery boy -- I'm a programmer, but also a nice guy, so I volunteered.) Haven't been in the financial district for a while, but it triggered my memory to correct a brain-fart above. Blondie's is not on Kearny (which doesn't have a second 'e'), but on Powell, which is also where the cablecars run. No cablecars on Kearny! (I really do live in San Francisco, folks! If I was making this stuff up it would be a lot less lame and boring!)

I even walked by Blondie's to make sure it was still there. It is, and there was a guy standing outside it singing "Unchained Melody" into a flashlight! He was pretty good (that's not the easiest song to sing for an amateur), but he wasn't making very much money.

Anyway I'm nursing a scotch and considering dinner options. I have some fingerling potatoes and green beans from the produce store that I suppose I could roast in the toaster oven, but I'm absolutely spent from this week at work, so I'm leaning toward ordering in from my favorite Chinese delivery. I'll post after I figure out what's going down.

I'm also working on the rest of the Farmer's Market report.

Cheers,

Squeat

Edited for spelling: It's so easy to type 'green beens'!