• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scott S

Mai Tai Recipes

Taking a quick break from dinner preparations to enjoy a mai tai...had a dream last night that feste's orgeat came in 48 oz (think 1.5 liter) bottles and was now on sale.

3 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Small Hands orgeat - the largest bottle is 17.5 oz which is enough for 35 Trader Vic Mai Tai. That is quite good already! ;) 

I go through more than a dozen 17.5 oz bottles a year.  Had to open a new bottle tonight.

I use 0.5 oz orgeat per mai tai, to 3 oz rum.  In a 16 oz tumbler.

Makes me want another.  Amazon Fresh is delivering limes in the morning.

A minor revelation.  We all know (she states pretentiously) a proper mai tai is Jamaican and Martiniquais.  I've been having trouble sourcing La Favorite blanc for my quotidian mai tai.*  Neisson blanc is OK I guess but it's not quite the same.  On a whim I tried just using all Wray & Nephew.

Not half bad as my son would say.

* @Ed Hamilton had best get on the stick.

Bringing back memories. I think the first time I heard of a Mai Tai was when I was in college.  I probably read about it in Playboy.  Back then the recipe was a secret and the only place that served them was at Trader Vic's.  There were no trader Vic's in Kansas.  I think there were only a couple and they were on the west coast.  I wasn't 21 in any case and that was the legal drinking age back then.  Trader Vic's Pacific Island Cookbook (1968) had a chapter on mixed drinks and Mai Tai was not included.  Then I got drafted and stationed for Advanced Infantry Training at Fort Lewis.  On my 22nd birthday I got a pass to go into Seattle and the first place I went was Trader Vic's and the only thing I ordered was a Mai Tai.  Then I went to see a Spaghetti Western with Clint Eastwood. 

• Like 4

Edit, Actually you could drink in bars in Kansas at age 18 but the only beverage a bar could serve (To anyone) was 3.2 beer.  If you wanted a mixed drink, you had to be 21, go to a liquor store, get what you needed, then go home and make it yourself.  I am so glad the good ole days are dead and gone.