• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to turn chicken legs into chicken breasts?

Maison Rustique

My very generous friend presented me yesterday with a family pack (around 15 in the package) of chicken legs. Ugh. I really do not like chicken legs, but I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth. How can I prepare these to trick myself into thinking they are nice white meat chicken?

Deb

Liberty, MO

after cooking  , any easy way

strip off the met and put in a savory // creamy casserole 

or iPot a fw t a time , w water just to cover

to make stock.

re-use the stock several times to get concentrated stock

freeze after defatting for later use.

no white meat  , b ut tasty.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I'm in the same camp as you, I think if you debone/de-tendon them, cut into pieces, and braise in a flavorful liquid you may find them acceptable. Chili, butter chicken, etc.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Remove skin and bones then cook the heck out of them so they are dried out with the texture of cotton balls. That describes chicken breasts to me!

More seriously, are they just drumsticks or leg quarters with leg and thigh?  If the former, I agree with @btbyrd, though I prefer an unroasted stock. 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Remove skin and bones then cook the heck out of them so they are dried out with the texture of cotton balls. That describes chicken breasts to me!

More seriously, are they just drumsticks or leg quarters with leg and thigh?  If the former, I agree with @btbyrd, though I prefer an unroasted stock. 

@blue_dolphin, they are just drumsticks. Greasy, with veins and tendons. Yick!

• Haha 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

6 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I really do not like chicken legs, but I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

How about a gift chicken? Wait, they don't have any teeth. Never mind.

• Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Stock (unroasted), then remove the meat (it's easy to get rid of the veins, etc.) and make a big, big batch of chicken salad. My current favorite ingredients are toasted almond batons (for lack of a better word) and unsweetened dried cherries. Celery is good, too, if you can locate a non-bitter one. Dressing is mayo (Duke's nowadays), Dijon mustard (Maille), and dried dill.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

No leg  is complete without its foot. Al least if you are planning to make a big pot of stock, buy a pound of feet to cook them with. I too find the leg by itself to be unappealing. Occasionally if I'm going to bbq I will buy quarters--a leg/thigh piece. I will  eat one thigh and my husbands gets a quarter plus the extra leg. He has never complained about the leg part. He's a frugal partner; he'd rather eat food that I think is clearly on its way south than toss it.. So he is happy to eat the unhinged leg, as if it's free food or something just because I don't want it!  Really, he comes by it honestly. I don't believe his mother ever quite realized how much three teenage boys could eat

• Like 2

I usually eat legs by preference (they are tastier) and I genuinely enjoy preparing them - removing the skin (cook's treat), deboning them (easy). I never bother with the veins, they melt away in the cooking.  They may not taste like breast but that's why I prefer them.

Bones are reserved for stock (and yes, feet are essential in chicken stocks).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I am very fond of the dark meat thighs....

legs "solo" are a tricky bit to manage.  with 15 legs in the package, you'll likely get something close to a pound of 'decent meat'

I cook them, cool, just using fingers strip out the meaty bits.  some tendons/etc will come with the finger-mechanical-separation technique - but it's not difficult to knife them out.

I use the separated meat bits in a mix with white meat - waste not, want not....  in a 4:1 / 3:1  white:dark, it is not at all 'noticeable'

once the meat is stripped, one can carry on into the stock/gelatin route . . .

• Delicious 1