• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I bought a panini press! Now what?

Smithy

Over here I've told the story of finding a Cuisinart Panini Press / Grill / Griddle at a thrift shop for $8. I've always wanted a panini press. I love paninis, but have been too cheap to shell out $70 - $100 for something that could be (almost) duplicated with a griddle pan, a hot stove and a weight.

Last night I tried mine out for the first time, to comic effect. I made a frightful mess, but we both thought the results were delicious. Now I'm eager to learn how to use it properly. Shredded cheese vs. sliced. Monitor the operation so nothing gets overcooked.

I have access to panini recipes. Several people have reported using their presses for things like roasting peppers, or making quesadillas. I'm sure burgers could be cooked on this thing to great effect. But I'll also bet there are loads of recipes and procedures from experienced panini press users that I haven't thought of. We have a very old topic on what type/brand to buy but no discussion that I can find about actually using one.

So...those of you who have a panini press / grill: what are your favorite things to do with it? Got any special tips or precautions? I already have one cautionary tale: don't fire yours up until you're sure there are no papers or tools stored between the plates. 🙂

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I think they’re great for…making paninis.

Got some favorite combinations? Tips, like "don't put thick slabs of cheese in the sandwich and then cook without looking"? Do you butter (or oil) the outer surfaces of the paninis, or grill the sandwich without fat on the outside?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This is currently the one I have:

image.thumb.png.d2096ffd46da80fbb2d7fb2544f7d020.png

Though I had a Cuisinart Griddler for quite a few years, until it stopped heating up properly.

Yesterday, I used the flat side of the plates to make pancakes (I also have the waffle plates that are an add on, but have not used them yet), and it's great for that; I was able to cook a dozen pancakes at one time. I have not cooked any meat, poultry or seafood on it, as I imagine cleanup to be a lot more annoying that using my stove/oven and cookware designed for that.

Yes, I do butter/oil the outer surfaces of whatever sandwich is being pressed, and keep the insides to a reasonable amount of product.

These are pix of sandwiches made on the old Cuisinart, but I don't seem to have any pix of the Breville in use.

2015_10_02Panini.thumb.JPG.f8d4d7862d39839eb719eab6310663d7.JPG

Panini05-17.jpeg.ef00189cc4572dd448001ce3fe37f5e3.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I had one very much like yours for a very long time. Used it only occasionally. Last year, I got rid of it and got a Griddler instead, which is more versatile and easier to clean--has waffle plates, too, so I also ditched the waffle maker. But the one I had was great for paninis!!

I would say just don't overload. I always have a tendency to put too much on the sandwich so when pressed it squooshes out all over. Really, anything goes for paninis. If the cheese squishes out and gets very brown, scrape it out and eat it. Brown cheese is the best! 

• Like 4

Deb

Liberty, MO

23 minutes ago, weinoo said:

This is currently the one I have:

image.thumb.png.d2096ffd46da80fbb2d7fb2544f7d020.png

Though I had a Cuisinart Griddler for quite a few years, until it stopped heating up properly.

Yesterday, I used the flat side of the plates to make pancakes (I also have the waffle plates that are an add on, but have not used them yet), and it's great for that; I was able to cook a dozen pancakes at one time. I have not cooked any meat, poultry or seafood on it, as I imagine cleanup to be a lot more annoying that using my stove/oven and cookware designed for that.

Yes, I do butter/oil the outer surfaces of whatever sandwich is being pressed, and keep the insides to a reasonable amount of product.

These are pix of sandwiches made on the old Cuisinart, but I don't seem to have any pix of the Breville in use.

2015_10_02Panini.thumb.JPG.f8d4d7862d39839eb719eab6310663d7.JPG

Panini05-17.jpeg.ef00189cc4572dd448001ce3fe37f5e3.jpeg

I could definitely see making bacon in a panini maker like this.  Mine slopes downward and came with a little plastic tray to catch grease, juices etc. but it's a pain an never quite caught everything.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Mine slopes downward and came with a little plastic tray to catch grease, juices etc. but it's a pain an never quite caught everything.  

That's what mine had, too. It didn't work worth a darn so I finally wound up using an oblong dish that I had for relish. I liked it for bacon because the bacon didn't shrink and it always came out perfect.

My favorite Panini was always the Cubano. With Swiss cheese, top and bottom, with ham, sliced roast pork, and dill pickle in the middle. As others have said, just don't put too much in. The layers slide apart and it is impossible to press it together.

I have an old George Foreman grill that works great for panini but it is almost too heavy for me to handle right now so I don't use it that often. It's not that good for bacon because it's a real pain to clean.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Mine slopes downward and came with a little plastic tray to catch grease, juices etc. but it's a pain an never quite caught everything.  

I have a Milantoast brand panini grill and I have this problem also.   I never use my grill without a piece of foil underneath to keep the mess under control.   Bacon would be a mess.

I like it for grilling vegetables/potatoes mostly, and thin cutlets of pork.  I thought I would be making sandwiches when I bought it originally.   I have used it to grill homemade naan also.  It is not a heavily used appliance though.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Bacon would be a mess.

The one that I had must have been unique. I have no idea what brand it was, probably some offshoot Chinese brand because it didn't cost very much. It had a spout at the front and all the bacon grease flowed out of that into a tray at the bottom. The tray that came with it wasn't very big so I just used a larger dish.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Found this - Alton Brown - seems to have some interesting suggestions - the spatchcocked chicken would be brilliant I think. 

jesus, he’s as annoying on you tube as he was on Food Network,  

• Haha 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The one that I had must have been unique. I have no idea what brand it was, probably some offshoot Chinese brand because it didn't cost very much. It had a spout at the front and all the bacon grease flowed out of that into a tray at the bottom. The tray that came with it wasn't very big so I just used a larger dish.

The lip on mine seems to let the juices travel side to side and backwards, so even though most of the juices do end up in the catch basin (which is quite large), there is excess that dribbles out.   I keep thinking I can make a lip extension to direct the juices, but I seem to never get around to it.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the clip

after all ,

no CIA

love to get a m0del as simple as that one.

at least the Tech-is give up on the P.P's , and moved on 

no WiFi , no SousVide setting   etc.

There's a bunch of stuff out there like this: 18 Surprising Things You Can Make In A Panini Press.  Most of them aren't things I'd necessarily want to do - that omelet looks weird - but I liked the idea of the smashed little potatoes (boiled first, then smashed) and the grilled vegetables. 

Also, 10 Unexpected Things to Make in a Panini Press where I liked the idea of the grilled romaine lettuce, grilled fruit and grilled flatbreads

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I bought a panini press! Now what?

Smithy

By Smithy
16 hours ago in Cooking

Now what??  Well if it was me I'd go crazy experimenting for the next 2 weeks. 

Then I would have to go on a diet and take the press to the thrift store.  I say this based on my past purchases of:

Bread Machine

Ice Cream Maker

Fry Daddy

Pasta Machine

Donut Maker

• Like 1
  • Haha 7