• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot or Spicy?

I had a conversation today with a friend. She is the Director of the city's CDC and was translating a paper from Chinese to English. She also an excellent qualified medical translator. Her medical English is better than mine.

She was confused as she knows people often use 'spicy' when they mean 'hot' referring to the capcaisin content of chillies, and wasn't sure which word to use. In Chinese, the two are very distinct. Spice is 香 and chilli hot is 辣. Heat hot is a completely different word - 热.

As she rightly pointed out, not all spices are hot. I explained that many people do use the two terms interchangeably and suggested that to be absolutely clear she could use the term 'spicy hot', which is certainly used in the UK. However, I'm not sure how widespread that is in other Englishes. 

So, my question is how would you distinguish the two meanings? It is for medical purposes, but not for medical professionals, so needs to be unambiguous.

Thanks.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I think “spicy” is preferable. In my household, we have a little joke about soup being “thermally hot” but the genesis of that was someone’s confusion of “hot vs spicy”.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

17 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

I think “spicy” is preferable. In my household, we have a little joke about soup being “thermally hot” but the genesis of that was someone’s confusion of “hot vs spicy”.

I can't agree spicy is preferable. Many, perhaps most, spices are not 'hot'. What about cinnamon or fennel seeds, to pick two at random.

• Like 1

I lack your academic grounding in the use of language, but am a heavy reader and prolific writer of informational content (that's how I earn my living). FWIW, since you're canvassing for opinions, I think your suggestion of "spicy hot" is probably the best option here. I've certainly heard and seen it used to make exactly this distinction, verbally here in Canada and in written conversations with/between friends and colleagues in the US. I suppose it may be a slightly inelegant construct, but it's unambiguous and that's the desired outcome.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

For this medical context, I also agree. Disambiguation is good.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've personally never heard the term "spicy hot" but I know exactly what it means when I see it so I think it would be the best option.  In my sphere, spicy typically denotes heat from chillies and does not refer to flavors from various spices.  Hot is a temperature term, although I have heard people in my mother's generation using the term hot to denote both chilli heat and temperature, which ALWAYS leads to the question - "what kind of hot is it?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spicy hot works, and I'm sure I've heard it before, though not sure whether in the UK or US.  "Chilli* hot" would be the alternative that comes to mind as a runner up, as it tags both the source and sensation. And, as an aside, yes, cinnamon can be spicy hot.  There is a whole genre of candy that appears this time of year to celebrate that fact-  cinnamon hearts.  

*or whatever your preferred spelling is to refer to products of the capsicum plant... chili, chile, chilli, etc... 

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Thanks 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

On 1/22/2024 at 8:41 AM, KennethT said:

In my sphere, spicy typically denotes heat from chillies and does not refer to flavors from various spices. 

Indeed - the other night, Significant Eater and I were having dinner at Ayada Thai.  She took her first bite of a pork dish I'd ordered, and said: "This is pretty spicy!"

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Well, yes I'm aware that the terminology varies from place to place which is precisely why I was looking for an unambiguous expression. My friend has run with the 'spicy hot' suggestion.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4