• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

17 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Chili recipe please? I enjoy seeing chili recipes of others. Beans or no beans, meat or no meat, no matter what it is I won’t tell you “That’s not chili!”. 🤣

I thought I posted this - apparently didn't click the right thing . . .

I prefer to start with dry beans . . . and still stuff like chili and stews and.... all seem to taste better 'the next day' I intentionally make it a day ahead.

presoak 200g dry kidney beans overnight

200g dry weight for overnight soak =~400g soaked

saltines

1 lb ground beef - salt & brown the beef then add
1 chopped onion
3/4 c green pepper chopped

=====
1 lb = 2 c tomato chunks
OR  =====
2 cans dice/whole/chili canned tomato
2 small fresh tomato hand diced added near end of cooking
=======

note on tomato:   summer, use garden tomato. 

do not use winter wooden tomato on the vine; use canned whole/chopped

8 ounces tomato sauce
add:
1 to 2 teaspoon chili powder
1 bay leaf (optional)

1 lb = 2 c dark red kidney beans

if canned - drained; reserve bean liquor to adjust consistency

- or simmer out undrained liquid (add time)

check for salt - add as needed; 1 tsp salt approx total
simmer about 90 minutes

cool, refrigerate over-night

slow reheat for service.

• Thanks 3

I have been wanting to make something with eggplant lately. I recall Charlie liked it--even though it was a vegetable.  We used to have it somewhat regularly but not recently.  This recipe appeared in the Kansas City Star newspaper yesterday and decided to make it today. It had directions to cook pasta and reserve some of the water, then later told when to add the reserved pasta water but never mentioned the pasta itself again. I added that to the recipe in my blog. Later after I took the picture, I added some jarred pasta sauce but now I don't think it really needed it. 

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Last night, the family was out again, and I saw some potatoes sitting there. My actual inspiration was making 'something with mashed potatoes' and I thought about Shepherd's Pie.

To be fair, I have never eaten Shepherd's Pie (in my memory, at least), or even read a recipe, but I've seen plenty of pictures. I was about to look up a recipe and then thought 'This sounds like the kind of dish someone just made up out of what they had on hand,' and so, with hubris as my guide, decided to just plod ahead.

Boiled potatoes in chicken stock, mashed in the stand mixer with butter, plain yoghurt (easier to find here than sour cream), mustard powder (again, because plain mustard is hard to find here, but I just 'felt' like it needed it), salt & pepper.

Roasted veg (sweet onion, carrot, button mushroom, butternut squash, and a whole clove of garlic which was set aside). Also boiled some fresh peas to add color.

Sautéed chicken breasts with salt, pepper, chili, and a dash of liquid smoke, then chopped.

Made a thick roux with the roasted garlic from earlier, and some of the reserved chicken stock/potato water. Mixed the roux with the roasted veg and chopped chicken and put into the casserole dish, topped with a layer of cheddar cheese and broiled to consolidate, then topped with the potatoes, a light sprinkling of chili powder for color, then roasted, and topped with chives.

I don't know if this even qualifies as a shepherd's pie, but it was far tastier than I was expecting, and the family was extremely happy with it. I am counting down the hours until I can eat it again for lunch!

IMG_5634.thumb.jpeg.1db1e60cedbdcd5d1dd511592f073987.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Last night's dinner. 
SausageOliveandMushroom7dayolddoughOctober3rd2024.thumb.jpg.589124a5bd7e42b831e2174a430cd097.jpg
Pizza night. Italian Sausage, Mushroom and olive. Baked under the broiler using Jim Lahey's method. 

SausageOliveandMushroom7dayolddoughOctober3rd20243.thumb.jpg.a02f2899bbf3c428a48ac7ebaa55596d.jpg
Dough was in the fridge for 7 days. Made on September 26th and came out of the fridge today around noon.
SausageOliveandMushroom7dayolddoughOctober3rd20242.thumb.jpg.75d8e01f63de7ec0b5bd7adfb5711716.jpg
A long cold fermentation makes the best pizza crust.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 6

Salad for dinner- romaine, radish,  onion,  green olives,  hb egg, red pepper, deli ham and blue cheese dressing. 

20241004_175737.thumb.jpg.3b0582a023dc06fae204bc0a041e57a3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

Fall temperatures! Good time to turn on the oven for meals!
Had a recipe for Butternut Squash with cranberries, pecans, and maple syrup: SO pretty and tasty.

ButternutSquash6745.jpg.73bf7553c9b1f12a387ef42bd1efa853.jpg

Also had a recipe for roasted beets salad with herb vinegar and burrata, but the beets weren't great , so I just drizzled on a Bourbon Maple Dark Basalmic vinegar and the burrata.

Will have to go to the farmer's market tomorrow to see if I can find better beets, and more than just the red ones.

BeetsBurrata6746.jpg.b2dce095c68df64bd57969a9221ea79d.jpg

The above accompanied slow roasted pork ribs.

FaRibsPLate6753.jpg.ed02ea8d24f49a20817a85450f218b47.jpg

Busy day getting plants ready to come inside for the winter.  Quick meal of Singapore Rice noodles and shrimp. Had some green beans that were getting a bit "old", but they worked well as julienne veg with bell peppers. 

SingaporeRiceNoodles6737.jpg.8cd71938d2b87cd5d1e2524a40130190.jpg

Had a recipe for one pan Rosemary Chicken with Cranberry sauce. I didn't have any canned cranberry sauce, so I made my Apple Cranberry Orange Chutney. It worked!

CranberryChickenThigs6773.jpg.714f01e35e37ea93e0e630efaafc32fb.jpg 

CRanberryChutney6770.jpg.30f63ea15e84f1eb8e49271199d15c8d.jpg           

CranberryChickenDinner6774.jpg.a17d81bab004c0b36b955087db1deba7.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 1
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Silverbeet (chard), white bean, and chicken soup with Turkish roll garlic bread. Someone wasn't enthusiastic about the stems so those are fermenting as an experiment.  The silverbeet is really taking off in the garden now that the soil is warming up. I was hoping it would be a winter crop. And don't get me started on the nursery selling me plain silverbeet as rainbow.

image.thumb.jpeg.0cca180590d33b9abff39266b4a360e5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 10/4/2024 at 7:38 AM, pastameshugana said:

Last night, the family was out again, and I saw some potatoes sitting there. My actual inspiration was making 'something with mashed potatoes' and I thought about Shepherd's Pie.

To be fair, I have never eaten Shepherd's Pie (in my memory, at least), or even read a recipe, but I've seen plenty of pictures. I was about to look up a recipe and then thought 'This sounds like the kind of dish someone just made up out of what they had on hand,' and so, with hubris as my guide, decided to just plod ahead.

Boiled potatoes in chicken stock, mashed in the stand mixer with butter, plain yoghurt (easier to find here than sour cream), mustard powder (again, because plain mustard is hard to find here, but I just 'felt' like it needed it), salt & pepper.

Roasted veg (sweet onion, carrot, button mushroom, butternut squash, and a whole clove of garlic which was set aside). Also boiled some fresh peas to add color.

Sautéed chicken breasts with salt, pepper, chili, and a dash of liquid smoke, then chopped.

Made a thick roux with the roasted garlic from earlier, and some of the reserved chicken stock/potato water. Mixed the roux with the roasted veg and chopped chicken and put into the casserole dish, topped with a layer of cheddar cheese and broiled to consolidate, then topped with the potatoes, a light sprinkling of chili powder for color, then roasted, and topped with chives.

I don't know if this even qualifies as a shepherd's pie, but it was far tastier than I was expecting, and the family was extremely happy with it. I am counting down the hours until I can eat it again for lunch!

IMG_5634.thumb.jpeg.1db1e60cedbdcd5d1dd511592f073987.jpeg

That looks really great, and I'm tempted to make that myself. But, I'll be the one to say it today, that's no shepherds pie!