• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

Shrimp sandwich at Ajijic Plaza Restaurant.  Inside is sauteed (no coating) shrimp and mayo, the assembled sandwich is then dipped in corn flakes and deep fried.  

shrimpsand.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Gazpacho + avocado and gazpacho sorbet.  The sorbet is a work in progress, I froze some of the soup, second spin, I added a little vodka and evoo.  Not sure if this will achieve my desired result, but will know tomorrow.

Half sandwich shown as I forgot to take a pic.  Black olive roll, pickled red onion, avocado, tomatoes and thinly sliced porchetta.

More lemon sour cream gelato , added a little blueberry sauce, nice combo.

IMG_6901.jpeg

IMG_6902.jpeg

IMG_5714.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

IMG_4330.thumb.jpeg.b21d47c3c3d97f503dfecaefabc556f6.jpeg

TJ's grilled sardines  ( Blue Can ) , Aldi ' Hellman's '  , window green onons

remarkable tasty just as you see above.

If I had a lemon . 2 - 3 drops of lemon juice would be the only addition.

those w Eagle Eyes might noted  the ' dent ' in the slab , lower right 

that was MC's portion , which he goes crazy for.   

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9

late lunch

watching some Olympic Horses 

IMG_4342.thumb.jpeg.ae0156d39670cf3735916444b59358ad.jpeg

Usual AF Pizza-ish.  Soooo good.

never looks so good cut and plated .

IMG_4345.thumb.jpeg.b5d40ac14b46c38f9d36b397e99fe8bd.jpeg

but outstanding w an Ice cold Hoponius Union.

better than any local take out.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Squid and shrimp fried rice. Local noodle and fried rice 5 table restaurant. I added some chilli sauce after taking the photograph. It didn't really need it, but my preference.

friedrice.thumb.jpg.edc0a5375a8eef47c0faac144329ba73.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tuna salad on whole wheat, some lovely jarred Italian tuna, celery, pickled red onions, purée of preserved lemon and a squirt of Kewpie wasabi + Hellmans mayo.

Hazelnut frangipane with Mirabelle plums and hazelnut brittle, one with  red currants and a sweet cherry one…all good.

IMG_6935.jpeg

IMG_6933.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

Blue Fin Tuna still running off-shore, so the stores are awash with it.  Here's some seared belly served with avo, pickled ginger and kkakgudi - cubed daikon in gochugaru, fish sauce, ginger and scallion. Our local Korean store makes it fresh. Sublime. Quite possibly my new favorite dish.

IMG_20240730_134233741~2.jpg

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Cauliflower tart with Cabot’s Black Label Cheddar.  The crust was evoo with Asiago cheese. This reheated well on the stovetop, we had it with an endive salad.

I made a few tarts this morning, peach, apricot, cherry with some flaked almonds on top for a little crunch, so that was dessert.

IMG_5792.jpeg

IMG_6962.jpeg

IMG_5796.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

This is from last Sunday, part of a great weekend. Lunch was at my sister's place with about a dozen family.

PXL_20240728_1324310052.thumb.jpg.6996976fafc93fb6dac48086308b6f3c.jpg

The famous mutton biryani!

PXL_20240728_1327069562.thumb.jpg.85502644d598cd03088e118f6267db27.jpg

With its accompanying boiled egg, mango kaddumanga pickle, an unusual apple kaddumanga pickle prepared the same way, and a nice crisp Chardonnay. Scorching English summer's day at about 28 degrees C. Perfect.

( NB Healthy mutton to rice ratio)

Edited by Kerala
M:C ratio (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Oh just a little addition. Very unconventional. At the 9 o'clock position on the plate is a hot dry garlicky fish pickle. My nephew and I with whom I share a lot of traits are the only ones who go for this.

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 2

More of a brunch really. Going out for dinner tonight and know it'll it be a big one, so didn't want too much.

Clam soup with garlic, chilli, coriander leaf, Chinese chives in chicken broth with some miso. Baguette for dunkin'.

Clams.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I guess you would call these quesadillas as they are fried wheat tortillas with cheese and green onions inside. I am not a Mexican food cook hardly at all and am not terribly fond of eating it, that said, these were very tasty

7BD4F0F2-DE40-482E-AF79-56A68DB093F8.jpeg.16b2a14a8127dab323eace5eed46a450.jpeg

• Like 6

Kale, mushroom, ricotta tart….  Sautéed onion , garlic, walnuts; yellow raisins and black olives joined the party. This was bound with ricotta and a couple of eggs. Escarole or Swiss chard would also be a nice choice for this tart. Pierre Hermé tart dough browned beautifully and was very complementary to the filling.

IMG_6977.jpeg

IMG_6976.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Cold lunch on 36℃ / 97℉ day.

冷粉 (lěng fěn), cold steamed rice noodle rolls with vegetable filling

_20240804140859.thumb.jpg.02ffa53ecdc08c0374b42c4c1df1c663.jpg

and cold 猪脚 (zhū jiǎo), pig’s foot sliced with pickled ginger, coriander leaf and peanuts.

_20240804140916.thumb.jpg.939ac3ad56b74a2feb24e7c0d4436c6a.jpg

• Like 7

Mark Twain

there is "imitation crab" - it there also "imitation lobster?"

we had a semi-local ueber super resto - the (locally famous) owner was close to retirement when covid shut down the whole world.

he did not reopen. 

he produced the absolute superiorest "po boys" in lobster&shrimp - better than anything I got in NOLA....

bought out, reopened by another well know but not especially skilled resto "group"

[[ altho a jewel in their collection is the Fells Point, Baltimore "Charleston" - absolute toppie-top place ]]

...so this buy-out and 'continuing failure' is a curious anomaly . . .

everything sold off, entire premises redone in stark raving white . . . not an inviting decor.

no 'po boys' - good steak, lousy duck, , , , and we're working on it....

13 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

it there also "imitation lobster?

Yes

Mark Twain

Another lunch with friends in a different Hunan venture. More of a noodle shop. We each had a bowl of soupy noodles and shared some accompaniments.

BEEF1.thumb.jpg.c155dc9e6c1d02d413510e06931baca0.jpg

Beef with wheat noodles - friend 1's choice.

BEEF2.thumb.jpg.8d104ad7c2b8d73046e0bd1928d66046.jpg

Beef, egg, and pickled vergetable rice noodles - friend 2's choice

FISH.thumb.jpg.b9e7f52f646c642a6d91d1a86bf85242.jpg

Fish and tomato rice noodles - my choice.

To Share

TOFU.thumb.jpg.734d568a2bc28415e63b8c61c2305684.jpg

长沙臭豆腐 (cháng shā chòu dòu fu) Changsha Stinky Tofu

POTATO.thumb.jpg.a0133e654b81e7f39cd28e24ead8ced6.jpg

Deep Fried Potato with Chilli

DESSERT.thumb.jpg.827cb8254510c90ba956aa25cb85f108.jpg

Iced Fruit Jelly

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

Mark Twain

Experimenting with @Duvel emergency pizza dough. Pulled the remaining dough out of the fridge, stretched thin, and baked in a 250 degree (that's proper degrees C) fan-forced oven. I used a tray from a previous oven that doesn't quite fit, but I didn't mind if it got trashed. Sprayed the tray with rice bran oil. Bake time was 12 minutes. A perfectly serviceable thin-crust with a light golden brown on the base. I probably should have let it rise for a few minutes after shaping but wanted to see how this would turn out. I call it a successful lunch.

image.thumb.jpeg.e69614ea5da5c3dd56823458ec457cee.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a143c29de177a05488e7891b588809d0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fb4223c4ea5aac4114391576528e8d7d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.