• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2024

liuzhou

This is not an Asian style soup… it is Lamb and Barley Broth with carrots and fresh corn . My husband served it in these bowls making it confusing. The lamb was from Sunday’s roast which was quite pink near the bone so added good flavour to the barley. 

661C762E-F972-4704-A3FD-77CC80801E2F.jpeg.9a92f8009af3879198980b0870f781c7.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

22 minutes ago, Neely said:

This is not an Asian style soup… it is Lamb and Barley Broth with carrots and fresh corn . My husband served it in these bowls making it confusing.

I often serve non-Asian soups in Asian bowls. They're the only bowls I have!

I can't find what I call 'pearl barley' here. Barley yes, but it's used to make barley tea (a Tibetan specialty) and is pre-roasted.  It is also toasted and ground before selling as flour to make the Tibetan staple, Tsampa. neither are what I want in my soups.

I'd love a bowl of Scotch broth -it's been decades!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 7/16/2024 at 9:15 AM, liuzhou said:

Real aged Spanish Manchego and real Scottish oatcakes.

How difficult is it for you to source 'western' imports, food-wise? Are there certain things or regions that are easier to find foodstuffs from, or is it just hit and miss?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

15 minutes ago, pastameshugana said:

How difficult is it for you to source 'western' imports, food-wise? Are there certain things or regions that are easier to find foodstuffs from, or is it just hit and miss?

When I moved to China in 1996, almost nothing 'western' was available and what was findable was imported via Hong Kong (still under British rule then) and ludicrously expensive. Today, China has the largest on-line shopping culture on the planet (yes, bigger than Amazon) and most things are available. They also became cheaper as availabiity increased.

That stopped to an extent during the pandemic  for two main reasons. The countries exporting were in lockdowns and the foreigners who mainly buy it had all gone home (to their regret!) . But it has almost returned to pre-Covid status . There are few things I can't get. Some more obscure cheeses I can't find and I haven't had a haggis in China ever!

Indian and Japanese ingredients can be hard to find (China has a fractured relationshup with both.) Otherwise hit and miss. 

To be honest though, I seldom go looking for western foods here. I'm happy with the local cuisine which is endlessly, wonderfully varied  and delicious. Or maybe I'm just institionalised!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Yellow squash and corn with tomato, chipotle, shallot, garlic, and cilantro, finished with a little heavy cream. Pretty tasty for a mix of leftovers and must-use-ups in the fridge.

Squash_corn_202407.thumb.jpg.03b0f68e715b6ac7ecf21bf06b252380.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
+ garlic (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Caesar-ish salad with TJ's lightly smoked tinned salmon 

BCD98273-20D0-4C3E-AB71-9F9E8BA52260_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.160085b6b7734106f49a461e83ee3ef5.jpeg

Since we were discussing her untimely passing, I'll call out the croutons from Naomi Pomeroy's Taste & Technique where she cuts a baguette 1/8" slices, brushes or tosses them with 1:1 butter:olive oil and toasts.  I've found that any baguette worth its salt is unlikely to tolerate that sort of slicing, even when a day old but those take-and-bake baguettes that need crisping in the oven are just the ticket.  This one was from TJ's but I see them all over. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

The gazpacho has a brunoise cut selection of the vegetables at the bottom of the bowl.  The oil gets put on at table, I prefer a plain baguette with the gaz, I find sourdough, which I love, to be a bit more intrusive in flavoring as an accompaniment.

This is my current finishing oil…unfortunately, almost done!

IMG_6850.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tomato tart today, adapted from a NYT recipe that substitutes a bread dough for the crust rather than the usual pastry crust. The base of the tart is coated with a thin layer of cooked cherry tomato sauce prior to adding a variety of different cherry tomatoes. This cooked much more rapidly than the time suggested and the crust was well cooked and browned nicely on the bottom. But I’ll not be converted to a yeasted dough in place of a conventional pastry crust!

Dessert was a slice of yesterday’s apricot pistachio tart with some apricot ice cream.

IMG_6855.jpeg

IMG_6856.jpeg

IMG_6851.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I got ocean whitefish, a type of tilefish, in my weekly fish share and tried a quick and easy recipe for Mustardy Cracker Crumb Fish from Julia Turshen's Simply Julia.

002B531B-6DF4-4E15-86AF-C2C2D6F8F5C7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.20b087d87826c2b7fc080c9403bcbdf8.jpeg

With a side of potato salad tossed with Caesar dressing.  Those little spuds were red through and through.  Thankfully the dressing the celery masked their initial appearance

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

A first attempt at one of my favorite dishes we had in Jakarta.... a Padang style dish called ayam balado (chicken) although you can balado-ify practically anything - potatoes, eggs, fish....

PXL_20240721_173033148.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.905e3f1e4b7bcc75e2258a4212ccb3b0.jpg

with stir fried bok choy 

PXL_20240721_173041565.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.06f3501bcd9d548ed73f8ba820614bf4.jpg

• Like 1