• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual/bizarre/intriguing candy corn flavors

Alex

From a Washington Post article one year ago today: 

As might be expected, we found the vanilla and fruit-punch varieties to be inoffensive. The popcorn — buttery, with a slight note of smoke to suggest a bag of kernels burned in a microwave — was slightly worse. The meaty ones, though, were another story — in a word, vile. The hot-dog-flavored variety proved the milder of the two, which was merciful. “Sour and rotten,” pronounced one taster. “I don’t know what’s happening, but I hate it,” said another, between chews. But the bolder hamburger version induced the most gags. Sample reactions: “Puke in your mouth”; “cough medicine meat”; and “blerggh,” the sound of disgust one colleague made while spitting the offending thing into a napkin.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Do you even enjoy origonal ones? The listed nnew types sound  horrid. I don't like them at all. Ex loved em but he liked circus peanuts too... I did sometimes put the originals in a bowl at Halloween parties cuz they scream that season, and some enjoy them.. Sorta like Peeps chicks at Easter.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Do you even enjoy origonal ones?

"Exterminate!" is my candy corn default setting.

• Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Nothing could be more horrible than circus peanuts. Although Peeps give them a run for their money. The saving grace of "original" candy corn is that it has pretty much no flavor. Never mess with a "good" thing. Junk food companies must have the weirdest brainstorming meetings. Do the creative teams sit around saying, "How can we make this worse?"

I just saw this on Twitter. I thought it was a joke, but apparently it's real.

There's a hilarious review of it there -- my favorite comment is about the green bean flavor: ". . .it is unforgivable. If you left a cup of green tea on the porch in bad weather for a week, during which time it attained sentience and promptly began plotting your demise, and you hate green tea, that’s what this tastes like. . . . Raw, unholy green in flavor as well as color, with a single, 1-note foghorn taste, like mowing the lawn with your mouth open."

image.png

• Haha 3