• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unusual/bizarre/intriguing candy corn flavors

Alex

From a Washington Post article one year ago today: 

As might be expected, we found the vanilla and fruit-punch varieties to be inoffensive. The popcorn — buttery, with a slight note of smoke to suggest a bag of kernels burned in a microwave — was slightly worse. The meaty ones, though, were another story — in a word, vile. The hot-dog-flavored variety proved the milder of the two, which was merciful. “Sour and rotten,” pronounced one taster. “I don’t know what’s happening, but I hate it,” said another, between chews. But the bolder hamburger version induced the most gags. Sample reactions: “Puke in your mouth”; “cough medicine meat”; and “blerggh,” the sound of disgust one colleague made while spitting the offending thing into a napkin.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

Do you even enjoy origonal ones? The listed nnew types sound  horrid. I don't like them at all. Ex loved em but he liked circus peanuts too... I did sometimes put the originals in a bowl at Halloween parties cuz they scream that season, and some enjoy them.. Sorta like Peeps chicks at Easter.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Do you even enjoy origonal ones?

"Exterminate!" is my candy corn default setting.

• Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

Nothing could be more horrible than circus peanuts. Although Peeps give them a run for their money. The saving grace of "original" candy corn is that it has pretty much no flavor. Never mess with a "good" thing. Junk food companies must have the weirdest brainstorming meetings. Do the creative teams sit around saying, "How can we make this worse?"

I just saw this on Twitter. I thought it was a joke, but apparently it's real.

There's a hilarious review of it there -- my favorite comment is about the green bean flavor: ". . .it is unforgivable. If you left a cup of green tea on the porch in bad weather for a week, during which time it attained sentience and promptly began plotting your demise, and you hate green tea, that’s what this tastes like. . . . Raw, unholy green in flavor as well as color, with a single, 1-note foghorn taste, like mowing the lawn with your mouth open."

image.png

• Haha 3