• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Festivals

liuzhou

There are food festivals around the world. Some have been mention in various topics, but I thought a general topic could be interesting.

I'll start with this annual 'Fish Festival' held here in China. They hold what they call a 'Long Table' feast mainly comprising local fish dishes. It is also accompanied by fun and games, such as a fish catching competition in a muddy paddy field. I didn't make it this year, but have been in the past. I skipped the mud!

6529331fa3109068cafe1681.thumb.jpeg.1c4a9a7a8ee47bde08df6c5a5d0eb5b3.jpeg

Image as supplied to China Daily

More pictures and info here, from China Daily

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Michigan hosts four major food festivals and a cornucopia of minor (and amusing) ones.

There's the National Morel Mushroom Festival (63 years!) 

image.png.da0825d96154b3b8c1d6a6763f7871ed.png 

...the National Asparagus Festival (50 years) 

image.png.a1c2ccb53d13a22dd7d94620ea5c87f3.png 

...the National Cherry Festival (97 years!!) -- including, of course, a pit-spitting contest

image.png.b6bc1d6e88fa8eee3d3d65530a9124de.png

...and the National Blueberry Festival (60 years)

image.png.1bed807f5aedd30ceead921c9395e18a.png

Then, of course, there's the Fungus Festival.

Visitors will be celebrating the world's largest mushroom, billed as the Humongous Fungus, which stretches across 37 acres, weighs 21,000 pounds and is about 1,500 years old. Many other activities will be enjoyed, including a pancake breakfast, volleyball and golf.

Because what would a fungus festival be without golf?

Edited by Alex
to remove a superfluous picture (log)
  • Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

As @Kerry Beal (missed you this year, Kerry) and @YetiChocolates can attest, the Northwest Chocolate Festival is a good one.  Lots of bean-to-bar chocolate makers from around the world plus some of us artisan chocolatiers gather in the fall near Seattle (it's moved to Bellevue for a few years).

https://www.nwchocolate.com/

• Like 3

Back in the day of our large fishing fleets the Fisherman's Fiesta was a huge deal  https://www.palosverdespulse.com/blog/2020/9/12/memories-of-the-san-pedro-fishermens-fiesta-by-marifrances-trivelli-director-los-angeles-maritime-museum

I have been to this Strawberry one. There are several  https://castrawberryfestival.org/  And the rather famous garlic one in Gilroy   https://festivalnexus.com/gilroy-garlic-festival/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

Scrooge here.  I really love the idea of celebrating local foods but I despise waiting in lines. I particularly don’t like waiting in lines for food and that seems to be what most food festivals are about. 
The strawberry festival that @heidihlinked to above is in my area and I used to live quite close to their previous location but I’ve never been because the crowds were awful. 
Love the topic, though. I was captivated by @gfron1's recent report of his experience as a judge at the World Champion Squirrel Cook-Off and am happy to vicariously experience any food festivals shared here.  Vicariously may be a key word when it comes to squirrel! 

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add link (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Oh they can be a zoo. My son worked security at a lobster one in San Pedro. Discovered the trash disposal guys were making double so he took those slots. OMG - the amount of trash. He had to walk the trash into the 40 yard dumpster, push it all to the rear, and create walls with broken down boxes to maximize speace. Then walk home, strip to boxers and leave smelly Tshirt & shorts in bushes . I think the amount o booze consumed creates a more patient crowd.

• Confused 1

If you're by chance in Paris in early December, Salon Saveurs will take care of your holiday shopping.    Fresh, frozen, dried, tinned, jarred, packaged, it's all here.     Generous samples, a crush but not long lines.    Stuff we never see here.    Cheese, charcuterie, confitures, if you can eat it, it's here.    Did I say foie gras?    Wine and cider.    All versions of preserved salmon.    Herbs and spices and condiments.  

eGullet member #80.