• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wildfork Foods

lindag

There've been so many posts about Wildfork Foods I thought it deserved its own topic.

Placed my second order today...I loved the seafood I got in the last order.

My favorites so far are the jumbo wild shrimp, sea scallops, King salmon, Norwegian Steel head Trout, pepper jack salmon cakes, beef chuck burgers and meatloaf mix.

The shipping to MT is egregious, however, so I just close my eyes and hum.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

After my first order or two, I joined their "club" which gives me free shipping for 1 year, plus access to their "VIP" email address if there are any issues.  Since the club is like $25, it pays for itself after just a couple of shipments.  @lindagI don't know if the club is available in all locations though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KennethT said:

After my first order or two, I joined their "club" which gives me free shipping for 1 year, plus access to their "VIP" email address if there are any issues.  Since the club is like $25, it pays for itself after just a couple of shipments.  @lindagI don't know if the club is available in all locations though.

Thanks for your thoughtful suggestion.  I looked into that and, of course, my zip code isn't eligible.  Maybe someday?

• Sad 1

We’re lucky enough to have a Wild Fork retail store just 3 miles from us. At first I was put off that everything is frozen but, if there’s a taste difference, I haven’t found one. The variety of proteins is huge and they now stock a large number of pre-cooked entrees and sides at competitive prices. 

One of our regular meals is salmon filets and WF has them in 4-packs where all 4 are similar size and shape. I’ve been frustrated that the filets at Trader Joe’s, while not frozen, are usually a mix of center cuts and end pieces at what is a higher price. 

im a WF fan. 

• Like 1

I've mentioned this before but I also have a local Wild Fork store. I've been doing a local fish share so haven't used them much lately but I really like that the fish portions are individually vac-packed.  

I also like their ground beef that comes in a bag of individually frozen bits so you can just shake out a small amount.  Wish they offered ground pork in the same format. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I've mentioned this before but I also have a local Wild Fork store. I've been doing a local fish share so haven't used them much lately but I really like that the fish portions are individually vac-packed.  

I also like their ground beef that comes in a bag of individually frozen bits so you can just shake out a small amount.  Wish they offered ground pork in the same format. 

Wow that option for pork would be nice - especially as we are facing pork issues here access and cost wise. the prop 12 implementation...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That's interesting.  I've never ordered the ground beef but get the ground elk and bison regularly.  Both of them come in 1 pound vacuum packs.  For one person, that would be a pita, but for two of us, I use 3/4 of it for 1 meal and then the remaining 1/4 I usually turn into mapo tofu within a day or two.

7 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That's interesting.  I've never ordered the ground beef but get the ground elk and bison regularly.  Both of them come in 1 pound vacuum packs.  For one person, that would be a pita, but for two of us, I use 3/4 of it for 1 meal and then the remaining 1/4 I usually turn into mapo tofu within a day or two.

Yeah, it's not something I'd buy for making burgers or any sort of volume use but when I'm making Marcella's chicken liver sauce for pasta that only calls for 1/4 lb ground beef for 4-6 servings and I'm scaling that down, it's pretty handy!

• Like 1

@lindag thanks for bringing this up. I'd heard talk here before but visited the site for first time today. My dad turns 101 in a week and loves lamb shanks. His wife won't cook them as she hates smell, but I'e done them in garage before. Neither close grocery store will pickup the phone and the Wild Fork price looks good. Also the swordfish steaks. I have a few days to mull it over.

• Like 3

I finally got around to checking them out. I'm amazed at the low prices! I definitely need to check it out. Things are not great here right now and I've been buying a lot of pre-prepared meals and instant-type things, so I'll be trying some of these.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

We have been very happy with WildFork. Only two orders. The first I've mentioned before, was sent directly to my parents just before the last holidays. And two Misfit boxes. They live in a food dessert on the ChesapeakeBay area. No Whole Foods, Costco, Aldi, TJ's. A few shit-show groceries like the dollar store types. One good well known fisherman group wholesaler has a small re-tail store. Crabs, shrimp, oysters. Seems like a 'lost leader' give back to the community deal. They were in my older brother's HighSchool class, so we get lots of crab and oysters. 

I canceled all subscription services a few months ago. (pain in the ars to navigate some of them)

WildFork is order when you want. They have kept my cart open for a few months now. It just sits there.

I also like the thick cryo-vaced packaging. Small portions. 

I just made a seafood chowder using swordfish, salmon, cod and shrimp. Trial run for an up-coming visit of house guests. Dairy-free, gluten-free. (homemade croutons and prosciutto crisps on the table)...clams/mussels separate shallow baking dish at the table. 

With WildFork in the freezer I can put together a quick mixed seafood stew or chowder easily. 

With so many likes and dis-likes in our families, and Halal, the lasso chickens, (Halal), I made 5-6 days of meals without shopping. 

IMG_6761.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

47 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

You guys got me.  Venison and Picanha I can't find in town.  Going to order some.  Also skin on branzino as I never see that here.  Found some other tidbits to try but anything else a must order to add to my cart?

I'm particularly fond of the Argentinian red shrimp, their mahi mahi and barramundi, all of which I can't get easily or nearly as inexpensive, and I live in NYC!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I'm particularly fond of the Argentinian red shrimp, their mahi mahi and barramundi, all of which I can't get easily or nearly as inexpensive, and I live in NYC!

Funny those shrimp and the  mahi mahi - wild in mainstream market here. I think it was you who inspired me to try the elk with your elk mapo tofu? Community sourcing ;)

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Funny those shrimp and the  mahi mahi - wild in mainstream market here. I think it was you who inspired me to try the elk with your elk mapo tofu? Community sourcing ;)

I could probably find them here in a specialty fish/seafood place, but who knows how far I'd have to hike to get there and I'm sure their prices wouldn't be nearly as good.  But yes, I'm also a big fan of their ground elk and bison.  Great inexpensive, lower fat beef alternatives.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:06 AM, Deephaven said:

You guys got me.  Venison and Picanha I can't find in town.  Going to order some.  Also skin on branzino as I never see that here.  Found some other tidbits to try but anything else a must order to add to my cart?

Not sure where you are but here in SoCal, grouper isn't common so I always order a grilled grouper sandwich if I'm in Florida.  Happily, WildFork offers excellent grouper that's nicely packaged in individual pieces. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2023 at 8:06 AM, Deephaven said:

anything else a must order to add to my cart?

Oh, one more possible addition for you.  Their uncured, raw Spanish-style ground chorizo is a great pre-seasoned ground pork that you might enjoy playing with. $4.48/lb so certainly a premium over what you'd pay for ground pork but reasonable in the sausage realm and very tasty stuff.   I like to make it into little patties for breakfast sandwiches.  Would probably be great mixed into burger meat. This isn't Mexican chorizo, lots of smoked paprika, etc, like in Spanish chorizo.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not sure where you are but here in SoCal, grouper isn't common so I always order a grilled grouper sandwich if I'm in Florida.  Happily, WildFork offers excellent grouper that's nicely packaged in individual pieces. 

I love their grouper and order it often.  I can't get it here any other way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I love their grouper and order it often.  I can't get it here any other way.

Good to know We are pretty proteined up now. Hhmmm duck legs - many possibiities. I just showed the 2 per pack lamb shanks to neice and she agreed we'd just do one pack for the 3 lamb eaters. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

I love their grouperI and order it often.  I can't get it here any other way.

I'm surprised grouper isn't available in NY, since it is an east coast fish. Not even Citarella? Never seen it sold in northern CA, that's for sure. Grouper is a favorite of mine; whenever I go to Atlanta to visit my daughter I eat a lot of it, both red and black. So good! I'll be there in the fall for several weeks. Of course my twin grand-daughters are the main draw, but east coast fish is definitely a perk when it comes to visiting the south. 

• Like 3