• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: a cylindrical cardboard container

I know this is a strange request, but seeing as I don't get out all that much to do any of the shopping, and I can't really ask Ed to search for something like this for me, I thought I'd just run it past the eG Ontario members.

I have kept my stash of red silicone mats in one of these large Kroger oatmeal containers for many years now.  Many, many years.  Way past the lifetime of this repaired sad looking beast.  Last summer, at the VERY LAST EVER Dog Weekend, a friend from the States promised to bring me a new container.  Alas, she left it on her kitchen counter.  

So, I ask, does anyone know of any useful food item which is sold in Canada in this kind of cardboard container?  Please and thank you.  :x

DSC03615.thumb.JPG.83cf02699c0809cf382c1bd16559ad50.JPG

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

22 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I know this is a strange request, but seeing as I don't get out all that much to do any of the shopping, and I can't really ask Ed to search for something like this for me, I thought I'd just run it past the eG Ontario members.

I have kept my stash of red silicone mats in one of these large Kroger oatmeal containers for many years now.  Many, many years.  Way past the lifetime of this repaired sad looking beast.  Last summer, at the VERY LAST EVER Dog Weekend, a friend from the States promised to bring me a new container.  Alas, she left it on her kitchen counter.  

So, I ask, does anyone know of any useful food item which is sold in Canada in this kind of cardboard container?  Please and thank you.  :x

May not be the right size for you but I use paper towel cores.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lindag said:

May not be the right size for you but I use paper towel cores.

Too narrow I'm afraid.   But thanks.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Dimensions would be helpful. If you know of somebody who drinks certain whiskies such as Balvenie, they are packaged in cylinders.  There are also mailing tubes that might suit you if you know anyone who ships drawings or blue prints. I am not aware of any Canadian food product that is packaged in cylinders.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

Dimensions would be helpful. If you know of somebody who drinks certain whiskies such as Balvenie, they are packaged in cylinders.  There are also mailing tubes that might suit you if you know anyone who ships drawings or blue prints. I am not aware of any Canadian food product that is packaged in cylinders.  

Height: 9 1/2 " Diameter: 5"    The mailing tube sounds perfect...except I'm afraid they don't make them that wide.  I'll check into it.  

As for Canadian food not coming in such a cylinder...I fear you are correct.    Thanks @Anna N.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Can I ask what made the oat container ideal storage. Might give us ideas for  alternate. I have the exact shaped oat container in my pantry but alas shopping costs. Etsy has vintage ones - tin. 

If you’re Scotch drinkers at all, I second @Anna N’s suggestion. A 1.5 L bottle should come in just about the right size. A plus…they’re very sturdy, with metal ends. I have one on my dresser that serves as the repository for my loose change. It’s lasted for several years.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

Can I ask what made the oat container ideal storage. Might give us ideas for  alternate. I have the exact shaped oat container in my pantry but alas shopping costs. Etsy has vintage ones - tin. 

Good points, because Ed showed me a plastic pipe and asked me ...how about this?  

Well, the cardboard meant that although the mats had to be stored high in a cupboard, I didn't have to worry if in case I dropped the container or it fell on my foot.  And because it was cardboard, it had a bit of give in it so that I could grip it better.  And it didn't cost me anything because we ate all the oats in it.  

It's not as if I can't  come up with something else.  We have a few plastic drink containers/pitchers/or whatevers no longer in use...I could use one of those.   I just thought someone who shops a lot would know if such a cardboard item existed in Canada.  It's surprising what you have that we don't have and vice-versa.  And according to Anna N, we don't have them.  And I can believe that easily.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

2 minutes ago, kayb said:

If you’re Scotch drinkers at all, I second @Anna N’s suggestion. A 1.5 L bottle should come in just about the right size. A plus…they’re very sturdy, with metal ends. I have one on my dresser that serves as the repository for my loose change. It’s lasted for several years.

We don't drink Scotch but I did go to the  online LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario  - that's where liquor is sold in this province) website, and I see some lovely cardboard presentation cylinders available.   You must have a lot of loose change to use such a large repository.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

16 minutes ago, Darienne said:

We don't drink Scotch but I did go to the  online LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario  - that's where liquor is sold in this province) website, and I see some lovely cardboard presentation cylinders available.   You must have a lot of loose change to use such a large repository.  

I dump change in it over the course of a year, cash it in just before Christmas, divide it into thirds, and get the grandkids gift cards. Started doing so on the eldest one’s first Christmas, and she got it all. Fortunately she does not remember not having to share with her brother or cousin, as there’s only a 22-month spread amongst them.

Yes, I accumulate a lot of change, due to my propensity to pay for anything and everything with bills, and dump the loose change in my purse. I clean it out when it gets too heavy, and transfer it to the Glenmorangie container. I’ll generally fill it from 2/3 to 3/4 full over the course of a year. In all fairness, it held a 750-ml bottle.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This price is shocking to me, but if you're an oatmeal lover Amazon.ca can help you out: Quaker Oats, Old-Fashioned, 42 oz.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/a8Hqudr

How are oats packaged in your stores usually?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

45 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh my I could surely mail or UPS my contaimer for less!

I'm thinking the same thing. When I get back to Duluth I won't be far from the Canadian border...

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

13 hours ago, Darienne said:

It's not as if I can't  come up with something else.  We have a few plastic drink containers/pitchers/or whatevers no longer in use...I could use one of those.   I just thought someone who shops a lot would know if such a cardboard item existed in Canada.  It's surprising what you have that we don't have and vice-versa.  And according to Anna N, we don't have them.  And I can believe that easily.

And I repeat.  Thanks for all the suggestions and offers of help.  It's not that important.  So now my curiosity is satisfied and I'll just use one of our plastic pitchers.                

11 hours ago, Smithy said:

How are oats packaged in your stores usually?

I don't really know.  We get ours from a bulk food store.  Cardboard boxes I think.  

4 hours ago, Mjx said:

Could you use one of those containers intended to hold kitchen utensils? Many are shorter than you want, but I'm fairly certain I've seen ones that have roughly the dimensions you need, and they come in a variety of materials that would last mor or less forever.

Too expensive for my snack bracket, but thanks.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

10 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

my collection:

Interesting. I just checked with my online grocer, Fortinos, and see there are two or three brands of breadcrumbs which come in a cylindrical container. Who knew? However the size is not given and I cannot guess. Maybe someone else who shops at Fortinos can have a quick look and estimate the height and diameter. Perhaps the same brands are available in one of the grocery stores in Peterborough even. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

a 2 liter soda bottle is 4.33 inches / 110mm in diameter . . .

Thanks. I cannot physically get to the store so judging size from a photograph with no standard to go by I am going to have to hope somebody else can tell @Darienneif they would be suitable. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog