• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Heat Diffuser for Gas Stovetop

TdeV

they have three sizes now, only two when I bought mine.

I have a large and a small - depends on pot size . . .

I use them to reduce the gas heat to the pot - even on the lowest setting the heat can be too much for sauces, etc.

IMG_32801.thumb.jpg.d9460aca6ae50c6738da6b11eae74bcd.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks, @AlaMoi. Do you ever use the plates side by side (for a bigger pot)? Do you ever use them in the Anova Precision Oven (you have one of those, I think)? On bellacopper's website, someone raved about using the plate(s) for baking pizza and pies.

I've only used them as flame tamers - the large is 8 inches - works fine with 10" size pot as the burner flame area is smaller than the 8" square.

for 'individual' size pizza I suppose - I only do 'full size' tho.

nadda clue.  from the web site

"Email us at Info@BellaCopper.com, or phone - 805-218-3241"

my last order - gift for DD#2 - came with a handwritten personal note.  the proprietor is a real people, websites, , , , not always

In shopping for these, I think it helps to consider what you want a "diffuser" to do.  Do you want it to blunt or lower the heat, allowing a lower setting?  Or do you want it to even out the heat across the pan bottom?  While cast iron diffusers serve mostly the former goal, conductive ones serve mostly the latter.  Depending what you're cooking and what on, the trivets like the Bella Copper can make for a decent substitute for $$$ copper bottoms.  And you don't need more than a few.

Personally, if my primary goal was to be able to go very low with heat, I would rather figure out a way to change out one or more gas jets.