• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small-batch baking: pies, cakes, cookies, bread and bread rolls, etc.

ElsieD

14 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Happy Birthday to John! Did he enjoy the cake? How many layers? 

He did like the cake.  It was baked in one of those round 3" high pans which I cut in half to make 2 layers.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

He did like the cake.  It was baked in one of those round 3" high pans which I cut in half to make 2 layers.

Good idea!  I bought some 4-inch springform pans and I bet I could try that with them, too!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Good idea!  I bought some 4-inch springform pans and I bet I could try that with them, too!

Indeed you can.  My pan was 4" across.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I made a half recipe of the Jam Swirled cake today and divided the batter iamong 3 mini loaf pans.  I cut one in half, added strawberries and some whipped cream and called it dessert.  

20230604_200739.jpg

20230604_201432.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 3

@ElsieD your cakes always look so down home delicious. I haven't tried this one but you have turned me on to some really good recipes. Thank you.

I have three little bananas that I didn't want to throw out. They look terrible but these little bananas that they called dados are best when they are almost black. They are still firm and as sweet as honey.20230605_090355.thumb.jpg.d904d4f5c37b4bf56320f4d597a6d4d9.jpg

I made 12 Mini muffins. I love these silicone molds. They are just the right size for a couple bites.

20230605_102632.thumb.jpg.216bde76993a834eb7bf8933510c3c7a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mmlstarr said:

Does anyone have a favorite, true 8x4" (4 cup) loaf pan?

Thanks!

I have Circulon. They’ve been great for 10 years, still going strong.

• Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com