• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

On 11/14/2023 at 11:02 PM, dans said:

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures. Supermarket rotisserie chicken and quinoa salad. Gravy from the dregs of the bag and some stock and seasoning.  Made stock from the bones for soup. Another day of chicken, gravy, etc. 

we store/freeze all our chicken, duck, pheasant etc bones in 1 large bag and all our meat bones in another. When I have sufficient bones to fill one bag I empty it into the slow cooker with 3 to 4 litres of water, a tablespoon of cider vinegar and simmer away for 48 hours. Carrot, celery, onion and maybe a few fresh herbs go in for the last 8 hours. Once cooled drain, leaving behind as much sediment as possible, put in the fridge and next day skim off the fat and split it amongst as many 500ml pots as necessary. Freeze and use as required, home made bone both for stews , curries and gravies.

Edited by Tempest63 (log)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

"Clean out the crisper drawer" chicken stir fry with cabbage, baby bok choy, blue foot mushrooms, cilantro, a small amount of broccolini and one last red pepper.  

chickenstirfry.thumb.jpg.3163124f4355c2c0d520541fd8d09022.jpg

I always feel a sense of satisfaction when you cobble together the odds and ends in the fridge into a very acceptable dinner and save them from the compost bin or wormey.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tempest63 said:

we store/freeze all our chicken, duck, pheasant etc bones in 1 large bag and all our meat bones in another. When I have sufficient bones to fill one bag I empty it into the slow cooker with 3 to 4 litres of water, a tablespoon of cider vinegar and simmer away for 48 hours. Carrot, celery, onion and maybe a few fresh herbs go in for the last 8 hours. Once cooled drain, leaving behind as much sediment as possible, put in the fridge and next day skim off the fat and split it amongst as many 500ml pots as necessary. Freeze and use as required, home made bone both for stews , curried and gravies.

I use the slow cooker as well. Is the bit of vinegar  to extract moreoomph from the bones?

28 minutes ago, heidih said:

I use the slow cooker as well. Is the bit of vinegar  to extract moreoomph from the bones?

It is supposed to help break down all the cartilage in and between the bones and put it into suspension in the broth. I know our broth invariably turns into jelly once cooled which doesn’t always assist in portion control, and I assume the vinegar contributes to that process and the final result.

Joining the pasta parade, chitarra pasta and beef meatballs.  I had some marinara sauce at hand and ground beef to use, so meatballs fit the bill. Meatballs were cooked in the oven and then had a 30 minute bath in the sauce . Happy hubby had three meatballs, followed by a refreshing mixed green salad, espresso and a sliver of pie.

IMG_5042.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@OlyveOyl 

thank you for  joining th Pasta Parde 

w meat balls 

all look quite stunning 

and taty.

Ill keep this mind

as I had a version I made 

quite some time ago

and will work to revise that.

based your efforts 

and all the other recent efforts 

for such deliciousness

• Like 1

Last night, more out of laziness than considered thought, I ordered this.

套餐B: 黄咖喱喱鸡+泰式炒牛肉+冬阴功汤+泰式包菜+米饭

tào cān B: huáng gā lí lí jī + tài shì chǎo niú ròu + dōng yīn gōng tāng + tài shì bāo cài + mǐ fàn

Set Meal B: Yellow Chicken Curry+Thai style fried beef+Tom Yum Soup+ Thai style cabbage+Rice.

_20231118055557.thumb.jpg.931614e4ea338ce5c9726db3d162ce44.jpg

Soup

_20231117193646.thumb.jpg.2eb4f0eccd5a6de67045ae82a04a816e.jpg

To my surprise, they threw in a bag of Thai style shrimp crackers; I've ordered from them before and this was a first.

It was all very good for the genre. $4.50 ic delivery from the local Thai restaurant.

微信图片_20231117193655.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

Joining the pasta parade, chitarra pasta and beef meatballs.  I had some marinara sauce at hand and ground beef to use, so meatballs fit the bill. Meatballs were cooked in the oven and then had a 30 minute bath in the sauce . Happy hubby had three meatballs, followed by a refreshing mixed green salad, espresso and a sliver of pie.

IMG_5042.jpeg

Beautiful pasta.  Is that basil leaf painted on your dinner plate, or is it a trick of the light?  It's a clever idea for a plate design.  

Last night, continuing the clean out the crisper drawer week with salmon with creamy pesto sauce, the last batch of arugula for the year from the CSA made into a lemony salad, and a crispy risotto cake made from some leftover corn risotto I scavenged from the freezer.

pestosalmon.thumb.jpg.7adff56884bf4539a60d61ac07bbee2f.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 3

Two Ottolenghi recipes for dinner tonight - chickpea pancakes (chickpea flour, ginger, garlic, scallions, jalapeno, cornstarch, baking powder, apple cider vinegar, cumin, garam masala) with mango pickle yoghurt (yoghurt, mango, mango pickle, lime zest) and some crispy, fried curry leaves. Served with eggplants with herbs and crispy garlic (oven roasted eggplant mixed with mint, dill and cilantro in a vinaigrette made from garlic olive oil, white wine vinegar and jalapeño and topped with some crispy garlic slices)

IMG_8461.thumb.jpeg.f25007d998b8e3b67c5178985acc00f8.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

酸甜排骨 (suān tián pái gǔ),  Sweet and sour pork ribs

小炒藕片 (xiǎo chǎo ǒu piān), Stir-fried lotus root slices

米饭 (mǐ fàn), Rice

紫菜蛋花汤 (zǐ cài dàn huā tāng), Seaweed egg flower soup

The ribs were good. Not over sweet and certainly not day-glo. Oversauced as usual. Stir fried lotus root also included 木耳 (mù ěr), wood-ear fungus. Tasty. $3.68 USD.

_20231119183645.thumb.jpg.f5ff68b0b61548d88c84e02e836d732b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 11/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, MaryIsobel said:

The street corn pudding sounds intriguing - is it on your website?

Yes.  I'll post it here too. It says it is a Mexican street food.  Sorry I didn't see this until now. 

Street Corn Pudding serves 8-10

Ingredients Yield 8-10 servings

Nonstick cooking spray or butter or pan

1 large or 2 med. jalapeños 

1 (8.5 oz) box cornbread or corn muffin mix

1 (14.75 oz) can creamed corn, not drained

1 (14.75 oz) can whole kernel corn, rinsed

1/2 C. salted butter, melted, cooled

2 T. sugar

2 large eggs, breaten

1 C. sour cream

1/4 C. milk

Crema, Tajim and crumbeld queso fresca for serving

Preparation

Heat oven to 350 º.  Coat 8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Roast the Jalapeños, about 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut stems off, discard seeds. Dice.

Mix together the cornbread mix, creamed corn, corn kernels, butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream, milk and diced jalapeños until combined. Don’t over-mix. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.

Bake until golden brown and gently set in the center, 55-65 minutes.

Top with the crema, Tajín and queso fresco. Serve hot.

• Like 4

Cavatelli with roasted beet sauce, ricotta and pistachios.  I used this recipe from the NY Times as a guide 

cavatelli with brown butter beets, ricotta, and pistachios

I roasted my beets whole and then blended them in my vitamix with the browned butter and balsamic vinegar to try and cut down on beet mess everywhere.  Everyone really liked this pasta, except my beet hating nephew, who dined on a sausage and tomato pasta instead.  

beetpasta.thumb.jpg.39170b311ca1d97730a5faef51b61550.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

I've had quite a glut of meat just recently, the caterers at work have provided beef short ribs, lamb shanks and goat at cost price. I have a 60kg fallow deer coming during the week so I have had to start using up what is in the freezer to make a little more room. A kilo of chicken breast went into the dehydrator to make treats for the dogs.

Another 1.5 kilo went into a Levi Roots curried goat. Some for us, some for a son and a couple of portions for work. I started this at 04.30 this morning (couldn’t sleep) and forgot to take a pic until it was divvied up.

IMG_1168.jpeg.8514056d558641717217f49b644b660f.jpeg

I also had a couple of portions of beef short ribs and thought I would try a Rick Stein recipe. 
https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/rick-steins-braised-beef-short-ribs/

IMG_1163.jpeg.725284ae372b4350ff73f795593d8a20.jpeg

I prepped everything then got out “Big Red”, he is my largest casserole and with a capacity of 7.25 quarts or 6.7 litres, he is the one I turn to when I need a big pan.

IMG_1165.jpeg.b612b5632b7623e7ccaaa8fc460787b4.jpeg

After browning off the meat,

IMG_1169.jpeg.07d0dfed55eb70d86fbac1717c0c9d9c.jpeg

I softened and caramelised the veg before adding the meat back to the pan with wine and stock.

IMG_1170.jpeg.74379f4205b53dbeaa80f57b19dd8004.jpeg

Rick Stein suggests serving with Dauphinois potatoes or aligot, but for time and convenience, garlic and mustard mash with some green veg served us well.

IMG_1172.jpeg.590f06ddc940a64de7a74094d81b2cbc.jpeg

Edited by Tempest63 (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2