• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gotten any fun stuff lately?

Kim Shook

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

the various silicone spatulas that Ive tried

that look similar to several recently mentioned 

inc.   Mrs. Anderson's slim baking spatula   

I have problems with .    the edge is not sharp , and and its stiff .

I bumped into these :

HiramWare Silicone Spatula Set of 4 - Heat Resistant Flexible Spatula 450F with Stainless Steel Core - Food Grade Premium Good Grip Kitchen Utensils - Seamless, Heavy Duty, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

the edge is sharp , thin , and the spatula has variable stiffness as you move from the edge to the shaft.

Ive gotten two sets , and cut one , easily to fit cleanly into a standard jar

the size that Heinz gravy comes in .   it's a family standard jar

so the one trimmed for this works for similar jars .

That ($6.99 for the set of 4) is a heck of a good price. I'm a bit surprised at their aspect ratio, though: the blades look wider than those of the skinny spatulas I like. Are you saying that you cut one lengthwise to make it skinny and you're happy with the result?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Posted (edited)

@Smithy

yes .  however , the cut side is thick , as you would expect.

but the other side is the one I use 

IMG_4026.thumb.jpg.b625d15889eaff001ad69ec2416d72ee.jpg

as you note the red silicone at the top.  it does not have a sharp edge , and the edge is not flexible 

next the standard Rubbermaid .  similar size.  again , it does not have a sharp , flexible edge .

in this size its OK .  it does possible heavier work than the green ones .  the cut one is the second from the bottom

and the bottom one is the smaller size  .  it's nice , but the shaft is too short for larger hands.

the Rubbermaid is fine in this size. .  Id like a sharp edge.   the Rubbermaid comes in larger sizes

built for heavier work , size wise .  but I find the larger sizes of RM have shafts that are too flexible

for the work intended.   but they do work.  after all , RM'ds are in most professional kitchens 

but for every day work , I like the thin, sharp flexible edge.

too bad the style is not made in similar RM larger sizes .

but I dont make 2 lbs ++ of stiff cookie dough , in my KA 6 qt ' professional 'mixer'

any more , as I sued too .  RM worked , but w the wrong flexibility in the shaft.

Ill give a Kudos to RM though :  th shafts are red , always a good idea.

P.S.:   for that price , buy tow sets :  one large , one Lg //Sm

cut one edge off the small , close to the shaft ( it cuts easily w kitchen shears )

and see how y0ou like it.  do the same for a large , and see.

pls posts results if you try this.

P.P.S.: the shaft has stainless steel in it.  so you could cut off one side 

until you are just short of the SS.  but I dont know how long the SS is.  

it might not go to the very edge of the colored area.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 4:27 PM, Smithy said:

I came over to this topic, all hot and bothered, to tell about the Mrs. Anderson's baking slim spatula (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) and see that it's the one you listed above. I have 2 on the way. Do you like yours?

My pair of these spatulas has arrived. I think they're going to work well. They're a little shorter than the iSi spatulas I so love and can't replace, but they're the same thinness. Below: Mrs. Anderson's on the left, iSi on the right.

20240610_183957.jpg

• Like 9

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

My pair of these spatulas has arrived. I think they're going to work well. They're a little shorter than the iSi spatulas I so love and can't replace, but they're the same thinness. Below: Mrs. Anderson's on the left, iSi on the right.

20240610_183957.jpg

The business end looks identical.  How do they compare in use? I need to order some spatulas.  Or spatulae...

1 hour ago, Laurentius said:

The business end looks identical.  How do they compare in use? I need to order some spatulas.  Or spatulae...

I'll do a more rigorous test than I've done so far, and get back to you on that. Right now mine's in the dishwasher -- but all I used it for was peanut butter.

Almost all the kitchen toys I get are products provided at no cost in exchange for my evaluation and review.  An outstanding new toy for my collection that I actually paid for myself is the Vinci Hands Free Electric Citrus Juicer...

Think of the Vinci as an inverted Nija CREAMi.  The reamer rises from below.  Sensors stop over extraction.  Works with citrus sizes from limes to grapefruit.  The flavor of the juice is very clean.

Compared to my beloved Hamilton Beach 932 Commercial, the Vinci is lighter, takes up less counter space, and produces better juice.  The Hamilton Beach has had almost daily use for nine years and is still going strong.  Spare parts for the Hamilton Beach have been available for going on a century.  I can't say how long the Vinci will last.

All parts of the Vinci except the motor are top rack dishwasher safe.  But cleanup is simple, as is cleanup of the Hamilton Beach.

The big thing is the Vinci will juice grapefruit, whilst the Hamilton Beach will not.  The Vinci would be great for anyone with arm problems.  Of course unlike the Hamilton Beach the Vinci needs to be plugged in.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Almost all the kitchen toys I get are products provided at no cost in exchange for my evaluation and review.  An outstanding new toy for my collection that I actually paid for myself is the Vinci Hands Free Electric Citrus Juicer...

Think of the Vinci as an inverted Nija CREAMi.  The reamer rises from below.  Sensors stop over extraction.  Works with citrus sizes from limes to grapefruit.  The flavor of the juice is very clean.

Compared to my beloved Hamilton Beach 932 Commercial, the Vinci is lighter, takes up less counter space, and produces better juice.  The Hamilton Beach has had almost daily use for nine years and is still going strong.  Spare parts for the Hamilton Beach have been available for going on a century.  I can't say how long the Vinci will last.

All parts of the Vinci except the motor are top rack dishwasher safe.  But cleanup is simple, as is cleanup of the Hamilton Beach.

The big thing is the Vinci will juice grapefruit, whilst the Hamilton Beach will not.  The Vinci would be great for anyone with arm problems.  Of course unlike the Hamilton Beach the Vinci needs to be plugged in.

Nice review.  This thing looks like it's related to a Magic Bullet.

Although I own a Big 'Ol masticating juicer, I don't use it much.  I've always wanted one of the big lever presses.  Would you say this electric makes better juice than those manuals?

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

I'll do a more rigorous test than I've done so far, and get back to you on that. Right now mine's in the dishwasher -- but all I used it for was peanut butter.

Have you tested the spatulas offered by Thermoworks? https://www.thermoworks.com/hi-temp-silicone-spatulas/

Many colors and now 3 sizes.

Edited by Laurentius
Additional info (log)

Have you tested the spatulas offered by Thermoworks? https://www.thermoworks.com/hi-temp-silicone-spatulas/

Many colors and now 3 sizes.

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

As in this photo I posted above the other day:130DF0B6-4190-42D3-BC95-F31B90E4716D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.055024214750b511589e8af679266fa4.jpeg

Laurentius, I haven't tested any of them because the shapes don't appeal to me. I'm glad blue_dolphin finds them useful, though!

• Like 2

Yeah, I saw that.  But you said "some may be serviceable."  What do you think of the Thermoworks ones after having used them?

All of them have a nice, thin leading edge, which is good.  In the case of the spatulas, both the straight and curved edges are thin so they're good for scraping sides and bottoms of both bowls and straight sided containers, though their size can be limiting.

The small size Thermo spatula is too wide to scrape stuff out of narrower containers like a measuring cup but it's good in bowls and pans.  I like it better than I thought I would.

The Thermo spoonula is a shape that I don't usually reach for in a spatula but I've used it a few times.  Both of those two may grow on me.  The others have limited utility for me at present.

The med and large Thermo spatulas are bigger than I need, especially that large one. It's huge.  I'm going to keep them just in case I get into some sort of large scale operations.  

The two minis are about the same width as the iSi slim that they appear next to so they are good for scooping out the last of something in short jar but not long enough to be useful in most jars. 

I like to keep a set of red silicone spatulas for general use and a white set for sweet stuff.  I'll keep an eye out for another Thermo sale on them and probably pick up a small spatula in white.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thermo sale on them and probably pick up a small spatula in white.  

Me, too.  Not that there's necessarily any carryover to silicone tools from themometer stuff, but I love this company.  I've found their Customer and Technical Service people to be very knowledgeable and helpful.  All the base units and probes (Type K) I've used have been first rate.  I once had an issue with a broken connector on a base, and rather than being without it for a repair, they offered me a very favorable discount on an upgraded base unit with fan control capability.  That courtesy ended up saving me hundreds of dollars. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

Not that there's necessarily any carryover to silicone tools from themometer stuff, but I love this company.

I'm very pleased with everything I’ve purchased from Thermo as well and use them daily. In the oven, on the stove, in the fridge and freezer and around the house. 

13 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I got some of that 'nduja as well and am curious to see how it compares to other brands I’ve tried. 

The Pasta Grammar folks think it's pretty good, and more than most, they should know.  I've not yet decided how I'll use it for the first try, besides just a scoop and a taste.  Thinking of using it on spaghetti or fileja.  I'd be interested in knowing your reaction.

https://www.the-pasta-project.com/fileja-pasta-alla-silana-recipe-from-calabria/

... Shel

8 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

The Pasta Grammar folks think it's pretty good, and more than most, they should know.  I've not yet decided how I'll use it for the first try, besides just a scoop and a taste.  Thinking of using it on spaghetti or fileja.  I'd be interested in knowing your reaction.

https://www.the-pasta-project.com/fileja-pasta-alla-silana-recipe-from-calabria/

I've tried and enjoyed most of the recipes that show up at the end of this Serious Eats article.  It’s really good with eggs. I’ll try it with mussels later in the week when I get my fish share. 

Edited to add that those previous recipes were made with other brands of ‘Nduja. Haven’t opened the new stuff yet!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

12 hours ago, Laurentius said:

Nice review.  This thing looks like it's related to a Magic Bullet.

Although I own a Big 'Ol masticating juicer, I don't use it much.  I've always wanted one of the big lever presses.  Would you say this electric makes better juice than those manuals?

There is a thread on commercial lever presses here.  I think the Vinci extracts less oil than my Hamilton Beach.  Whether that is better is a matter of taste.  Certainly the Vinci makes good juice.  And it juices grapefruit!

Would you use a masticating juicer for citrus?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 6/12/2024 at 9:28 AM, blue_dolphin said:

The small size Thermo spatula is too wide to scrape stuff out of narrower containers like a measuring cup but it's good in bowls and pans.  I like it better than I thought I would.

Thanks.  I added two Thermoworks small spatulas to this morning's order.

I see they now have a silicone turner and a ladle.  If they're stiff enough, these would be great for use with tinned copper.

22 hours ago, lindag said:

I have a Ninja personal blender (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) coming today so I can make summer drinks and smoothies.

First up is the Watermelon Gin Fizz...watermelon, gin, lime juice and ginger ale.

Sounds pretty refreshing.

Next is a an Orange Creamsicle Smoothie.

The blender is pretty basic but does a good job.  The Watermelon fizz is very good; haven't yet tried the smoothie since I'll have to get to the store for the fruit first.  I did make my broccoli salad dressing with it and it was very quick and easy.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, lindag said:

The blender is pretty basic but does a good job.  The Watermelon fizz is very good; haven't yet tried the smoothie since I'll have to get to the store for the fruit first.  I did make my broccoli salad dressing with it and it was very quick and easy.

My Ninja personal blender is at least seven years old and going strong. I love it. I think it was developed to compete with the Nutri-Bullet or so-called Magic Bullet. Remember those long-winded infomercials when they first came on the scene? I bought it after using my brother's Nutri-Bullet and found that it was more powerful and just all around better than the bullet. 

• Thanks 1