• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

heritage pork

I have finally found a local source for retail Berkshire pork - Rooster Street/Lititz, PA.

many mail order sources - but with two people, I really don't need half-a-hog.....

so - what is the most succulent cut on a Berkshire?

• Like 1

It's hard to beat a loin chop. Newman Farms in SE MO. is a good source for Berkshires. And they ship, and have twice a month pickup in StL.

I have a package of pork shanks I'm holding for cold weather, and I'm going to try to recreate a pork shank braised in cider recipe I had at Murphy's in Atlanta that may have been the best pork I ever had.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I just bought these inch+ thick half pound Korubuta chops 5 minutes ago at my local butcher.    One chop with sides is dinner for two of us.     YMMV.    Pan-fried to pink = divine.

930636829_ScreenShot2020-09-13at10_17_37AM.thumb.png.38219cda21ac036e610db5967598b738.png

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

we've had heritage pork a number of times in restaurants and it's always been super good.  but finding it even at a butcher shop can be very difficult.

last week dining in a local/farm-to-table/grassfed/etc etc resto I asked why no heritage breeds (they own half a farm....) and they said it does not sell well.

go figger.  with their sub-specialty of local/responsible foods, one would think their clientele would go wild over it.

btw, a bit of trepidation on the visit - all their beef is explicitly listed as grassfed.  but I had a dry aged grassfed ribeye done med-rare that was one of the best restaurant steaks I've ever had....

• Like 1

@Margaret Pilgrim 

wow , what fine looking chops !

they are Talking to Me !

@AlaMoi 

grass fed beef is mighty fine SV'd    at least initially

you can brown after cooking.   use as low a temp as you can stand

Im wondering if Heritage pork would also benefit w a swim in the SV bath.

and then there is Heritage Turkey :

https://www.marysturkeys.com