• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reese's - The Discussion

Toliver

I couldn't find any previous discussions devoted specifically to Reese's. There's the "Confessions of a Novelty Confection Fiend", but it's more of an umbrella discussion covering more than Reese's.

Reese's has announced that in April they will release two limited edition versions of their infamous peanut butter cups: 

"We Tried Both New Reese's Cups to See if They're Better Than the Original"

Peanut Butter Lovers and Chocolate Lovers Cups

According to the article/review, the Chocolate Lover's version (more chocolate and types of chocolate) was a fail but they raved about the Peanut Butter Lover's version. There are pictures of both in the article.

I also recently read an online article suggesting that the specialty/holiday Reese's were better than the original peanut butter cup. Having recently purchased a bag of their Reese's Easter Eggs, I'd say I would have to agree. The argument is that there's less chocolate with the specialty shapes and they're just a better version of Reese's altogether. 

Anyone else agree or can it be debated otherwise?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Mr. Kim and I were discussing Reese's cups just the other day.  Unlike other candies, which we prefer in the "fun size", we like the proportions of the regular Reese's cup better than the little ones.  And we both agreed that the Reese's egg was the best.  

The real question is: How do you pronounce Reese's?  "Reesus" (like the monkey) or "Reecie"?  That's the Mason-Dixon line of candy!

• Like 1

Oooh, the debate is not confined to the Mason-Dixon line. I know a lot of people in NJ/PA who say "Reecies" instead of "Reesus".

I agree also that the proportions of the fun size cups seem better. My main complaint is they seem to taste overly sweet. I'd like a little more salty peanut butter flavor.

I wonder if the double peanut butter version gives that flavor.

Dove peanut butter filled bites are even better than Reese's, in my personal opinion.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

During college I worked at a movie theater that had "E.T." playing. The candy featured in the film, Reese's Pieces, was meant to rhyme...which sort of determines how it should be pronounced. 

IMHO, the tiny "fun size" Reese's peanut butter cups are too salty.

Perhaps the reason the egg-shaped peanut butter "cups" seems to taste better is because the ratio between the chocolate and peanut butter is skewed towards more peanut-y flavor.

Edited by Toliver
for clarification. (log)
  • Like 1

Tim Oliver

49 minutes ago, Toliver said:

During college I worked at a movie theater that had "E.T." playing. The candy featured in the film, Reese's Pieces, was meant to rhyme...which sort of determines how it should be pronounced.

And it was originally supposed to be M&Ms but Mars Inc. wouldn't allow them to use them in the movie so they went to Hershey and asked to use Reese's Pieces instead... I'm guessing the guy at Mars that made that call was probably mopping the bathrooms a few weeks later. :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

Vile candies, ought to rhyme with feces

Vile? Hardly.

Save the word "vile" for something more worthy of that description...like "Circus Peanuts" (click). ;) xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tim Oliver

For me, I prefer the minis and especially the dark as I find them the best balance of chocolate and peanut butter.

John's family (Poughkeepsie, NY) always pronounced it Ree-sees; we grew up pronouncing it Reesus.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

The highest and best use of Reeses Pieces is sprinkled atop the batter-side of pancakes that are cooking. Followed immediately by a generous portion of sliced bananas. Ruin you for regular pancakes, it will.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Something new...Reese's Thins.

And I just don't get it. Smaller/less of the product...

You can see on the linked-to web page how they compare in size to the original peanut butter cup. Of course, they're skewing the visual results by also comparing them to their King Size version and Jumbo versions.

Has anyone tried them?

Tim Oliver

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

Has anyone tried them?

Nope. I usually buy the deep dish version ("usually" being relative, I don't buy any candy very often). I don't know if they're any bigger around than the regular ones (if so it's not by much) but they're at least twice as tall. And it's pretty much all filling providing the extra. There's no such thing as too much peanut butter.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A couple of years ago I did buy the gigantic Reese's Peanut Butter cups as a joke Christmas stocking-stuffer for my brother who adores Reese's Peanut Butter cups.They were quite large. I never did find out how he tackled them. :smile:

Tim Oliver

11 minutes ago, Toliver said:

A couple of years ago I did buy the gigantic Reese's Peanut Butter cups as a joke Christmas stocking-stuffer for my brother who adores Reese's Peanut Butter cups.They were quite large. I never did find out how he tackled them. :smile:

They're available locally but I  haven't been brave enough to try to tackle one. Maybe I jumped the gun a little with my "no such thing as too much" comment... those things are ridiculously large.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

They're available locally but I  haven't been brave enough to try to tackle one. Maybe I jumped the gun a little with my "no such thing as too much" comment... those things are ridiculously large.

xD  I did suggest he get help from his family when he went to eat one. 

I guess you could slice off a bit and store it in the fridge and have a little bit each day. But I'm with you...I think my love for them would fade too quickly before it was all consumed.

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

"Reese’s Announced A Brand New Candy Made Entirely Of Peanut Butter"

Reese's announced today that it's releasing a new candy called the Ultimate Peanut Butter Lovers Cups. And when Reese's says Peanut Butter Lovers it MEANS IT. Instead of a chocolatey outside cup like on its classic candy, this new treat makes the cup made of peanut butter. And that peanut butter filling? Yeah, it's STILL THERE. The result is a peanut butter cup and peanut butter filling that will have you reaching for a glass of milk ASAP.

Without the chocolate (see the photos in the article), they're very monotone. 

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

2 hours ago, Toliver said:

"Reese’s Announced A Brand New Candy Made Entirely Of Peanut Butter"

Without the chocolate (see the photos in the article), they're very monotone. 

i don't really buy things like these any more but these are basically right up my alley. reese's has always been my vice. i super love the white chocolate ones. they are effing sweet, though.

• Like 1

i recently discovered they sell a one pound package in canada: two cups, one pound 

note the normal sized reese's cup that somebody has circled here in green

image.jpeg.d1a4541305568a481fcf2aab7ce655a3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1