• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mullinix18

Should I start a blog with the recipes of Antoine Carême?

I'm thinking about starting a blog featuring the recipes of antoine Carême that I've translated from 1700s French? No English versions of his works exist and his work is hard to find, even though he is the greatest chef who ever lived. After I get through his works I'd add menon, la Varenne, and other hard to find, but historically important masters of French cuisine. 

• Like 1

Way over 100 Years old. So no. Also, with much digging, I found the original source material online for free in archives. So no its free to use. Even escoffier is free to use.

It's not like a simple Google translate will suffice. Language has simply changed too much since the 1700s. Especially with the amount of Era specific cookery jargon used. It comes out mostly nonsense in any translation website. 

Although I follow a few blogs they seem to be going by the wayside. It might be more useful for searchers  of information if you did a  Wiki page. No revenue but if sharing info is your goal it might reach way way more folks.

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Although I follow a few blogs they seem to be going by the wayside. It might be more useful for searchers  of information if you did a  Wiki page. No revenue but if sharing info is your goal it might reach way way more folks.

Yeah but I like money too..lol. It's not easy picking each recipe apart to figure out what exactly it's trying to say... Maybe I'll write a book when I've translated all of them..

• Like 1

Well monetizing is whole other subject. Book seems better for  the "nerds"  Let us know

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mullinix18 said:

I agree. Anyone wanna help? 

What does helping look like ?

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

What does helping look like ?

Help me translate. I do it in Google docs so collaboration is easier, and also maybe help set up a website or something. Idk how I'm going to format and subsequently monetize this yet. 

15 minutes ago, Mullinix18 said:

Help me translate. I do it in Google docs so collaboration is easier, and also maybe help set up a website or something. Idk how I'm going to format and subsequently monetize this yet. 

I'm no good to you.

There is a facebook group 'Oxford symposium on food and cookery' with a lot of scholars. Someone there might be interested in helping out with your project 

• Like 2

Writing an ebook is relatively easy and you can put it places like Amazon yourself without having to try and sell the book to a publisher. This is probably easier than monetizing a blog, I have a bit of experience here and there just isn't the money in it anymore. The great part is that you get to determine the price and I know that e-cookbooks under $15 sell well. -If you're willing to do under $5, you'll move a lot of units.

• Thanks 1

I can't believe that no contemporary English translations of Careme exist! That's bonkers, given his historical importance. William Hall translated 3 of Careme's biggest works and published them in a single volume called "French Cookery" in 1836. Happily, this edition has been digitized and is available for free online via Archive.org. We live in amazing times.

• Like 4

Would you post a sample recipe frkm the French?  I'd be interested in seeing what the  challenges are. Thanks!

• Similar Content

• By Panaderia Canadiense
      Hello again from south of the equator!  As you may or may not have heard (because the international news media isn't really giving the situation much coverage), Ecuador is in the grip of a major social protest movement.  This started on October 1, when fuel subsidies in the country were abruptly struck causing the prices of gasoline and diesel to more than double overnight.  Transport and heavy haulage unions immediately went on strike, and blocked the main roads of the cities with their vehicles in protest.  The indigenous movements of the central Sierra, beginning in my province, Tungurahua, joined the strike on October 2, and the President quickly declared a State of Emergency that restricts movement, freedom of the press, and freedom association.  The indigenous took over the road blockades on October 3, cutting the cities off from the world; Ambato became an island overnight.

It is now October 8, one week into the blockades.  Shortages in the fresh markets and supermarkets began on Sunday, as people realized that we were in for a long-haul of protest and possibly an overthrow of the sitting government.  Ecuador's indigenous have a long history of deposing governments in this way, and it's not a fast process.

I'll be blogging informally throughout the National Strike, to document how the inevitable food shortages affect the city and my own table. 

These first pictures are from Sunday, October 6.  In the Mercado Mayorista, a place I've always taken you along to when I've blogged from Ambato, the cement floors of the naves are visible in places where they have never, in my experience, been exposed.  The fresh corn nave is all but abandoned - this is because all of the corn in the city's stock has been sold.  I'll remind you: a nave in this market is about a thousand square metres of space.  This is also missing the big trucks that come to trade fresh grains in the parking lot, because they couldn't make it through the roadblocks.  Most of the Mayorista is in the same situation - stocks are selling off fast.

The supermarkets are even more dire.  The meat coolers are completely empty, and the produce shelves are diminishing quickly.

• By Kerry Beal
      @Alleguede and I are in the lounge at Pearson awaiting our flight to Vegas for the IBIE (International Baking Industry Exhibition).

I got the usually bomb sniffing swab done on my electronics - @Alleguede got the 3rd degree at customs. Anyone know what a carnet is? I believe I got that lecture the last time.

Made myself a little cocktail, Maker's Mark, Grand Marnier, vintage port. I've had better! 

Not a lot of choices to eat since it's rather late (not that earlier would have helped) - they also have pasta salad, Italian Wedding soup, Cream of mushroom soup, corn chips and salsa. There appear to be some cookies there as well. I'm trying to low carb as much as possible so I'm avoiding most of it.

• By ElsieD
      Host's note: the initial title of this thread was "Swarvin' in ???"  as a teaser.  Once the destination was identified as Newfoundland, the title was changed to reflect this.  The initial comments were based on the ??? In the title.

And we'll soon be off.......culinary adventures to follow.

• By ElsieD
      Some of you may recall that in 2016 I had a blog about our trip to Newfoundland.  We are going there again tomorrow for a week, returning July 1 and I thought that since we are going to, and eating at, places different from that year, I would do another blog.  When I booked our flights and accommodations (7 places in 8 nights) last February, June 23rd seemed like a long ways away.  Yet here we are, about to leave.   I hope some of you will follow along as we travel through the province.    
    • By Smithy
      As times and available resources have changed, members have started their own food/travel blogs. These are not listed in the eG Foodblogs index below. You can find them, though, by searching with the tag "foodblog". The tag search box is near the upper right corner of the Forums Main Page. It looks like this: