• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lindag

Pink Himalayan Sea Salt

Perhaps the best essay I've ever read on chic salts is Jeffrey Steingarten's "Salt Chic" in "It Must've Been Something I Ate." The essay explores the impact that different trace minerals have on the perception of salt flavors. The gist is that not all "sea salts" are created equal; some are indistinguishable in flavor from inexpensive and pure Diamond Crystal, while others have detectable flavor differences -- not always for the better. McGee joins in to drop some science knowledge. If you've never read Steingarten, you're in for a treat. 

• Like 1

Bizarrely, despite being a lot nearer the Himalayas than most people here, the only Himalayan pink salt I have ever seen in China was imported from Italy!

salt.thumb.jpg.1b31b4ccf4f4e01dbb3a3b4b924e1cdc.jpg

Yes, it expires in July 2020.

I am convinced there are a bunch of Tibetans or Nepalis somewhere in the mountains having a good giggle at the gullible westerners who buy this!

• Haha 4

If you are taste sensitive to appreciate salt nuance - but how bout rest of meal. It Is quite pretty - overall what is the diff? 

I read online that a lot of sea salt now contains micro-plastic.

The recommendation was to purchase the Pink Himalayan Sea Salt since it's not likely to contain the micro-plastics (that is, until we start getting micro-plastic in our rain ¬¬ ).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver