• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foodblog Fanfare: Feb 23!

Smithy

I'm happy to report that a member has stepped forward and volunteered to do a week of foodblogging!  The blog starts sometime on Feb. 23, and I've been provided with a selection of teaser images.

I've taken some liberties with the first image, to see whether y'all can identify the object from a visual excerpt.  I had to look for a while at the full image before I could figure it out. 

20180220_095411.jpg

I'll check in later to see how the guessing goes. 

Edited by Smithy
Removed premature snicker.... (log)
  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Sort of looks like a chocolate fountain.

You're better at object identification than I am.  Here's the entire photo:

IMG_2680(1).JPG.5ecb6f97334ea3a5944786cd5e819135.JPG

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Smokeydoke?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Jeez Louise!

1. I am such a hick.  I should have assumed that a chocolate fountain like that would be readily identifiable to folks more worldly than I. :$  You'll see some of her other teaser photos in the next couple of days, and you can feel free to tell me in what order I should have done them to prolong the game. O.o

2.  I told her you lot were quick, but y'all outdid even my expectations.  xD

So yes, Alex wins the No-Prize, with assists from ElsieD, munchymom and FauxPas.  It's Smokeydoke, live to you from Las Vegas.  In a couple of days.

Next time, I think I'll try to run the guessing game in, oh, 2 hours.

Edited by Smithy
Capitalization of a sentence beginning. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Ha  - even I who have never seen a choc fount guessed it ;)   Looking forward to it. Do please "cross-promote" the whole index- it is a veritable "fount" of information!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

You're better at object identification than I am.  Here's the entire photo:

IMG_2680(1).JPG.5ecb6f97334ea3a5944786cd5e819135.JPG

Why are the lower tiers light brown?  Dare I say gravy color?  (Please note I have never seen a real life chocolate fountain.)

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Why are the lower tiers light brown?  Dare I say gravy color?  (Please note I have never seen a real life chocolate fountain.)

The Bellagio chocolate fountain circulates dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate. I suspect the colors in the photo are a tad "off" and the gravy is milk chocolate.

At my friend's daughter's bat mitzvah (many moons ago) they had a chocolate fountain and somehow a piece of fruit or something got stuck in one of the levels and the thing started whirring around very fast, splattering everyone with chocolate until someone finally thought to pull the plug out. It was hysterical! But I don't suppose that will happen at the Bellagio. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, heidih said:

Ha  - even I who have never seen a choc fount guessed it ;)   Looking forward to it. Do please "cross-promote" the whole index- it is a veritable "fount" of information!

Yes it is!  Those who wish to "dip" into previous foodblogs should check out the index here:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps I should have started with this photo first, but I've certainly enjoyed the chocolate fountain discussion. :)  

In a past life, Smokeydoke worked in a pizzeria.  This is one of her productions:

pizza.thumb.JPG.d2e658fd141be4f2cdb0d72a17791a86.JPG

Looks good, doesn't it?

• Like 11

Here are two more food shots she sent me.  She says she used to run a Thai Food Meetup group.

5a8b601c6be6e_pennthai001.thumb.JPG.72166e99a3196fb9961cf55ad796cb93.JPG

5a8b605b1fb3f_seafoodpadseeew2.jpg.8a66c99e7fae24e031deb6b0229586d4 (1).jpg

I'll save the last location photo for tomorrow.

• Like 5

Here's the last location shot.  I understand it's also from Bellagio, and it's for their Chinese New Year celebration.

IMG_2679.JPG.2dd665bf2097c15f11aaca2a95babbb8.JPG

• Like 2