• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yeast for Bread baking : your views ?

rotuts

some time ago

I sued to bake on Sat.  6 loafs of SourDough bread

The dough was retorted for a week , i.e. made while i was baking the bread 

and I had a fine sourdough culture

now that Modernist Bread will be her soon

[ ed.: not soon enough ! so much for rye flour I can't get locally .........}

I plan to add to  my modest GE oven  a new gas igniter

so : yeast

I used to go to KAF  read deal place in VT or so 4 tines a year

OUtstanding

but back to the yeast  

I used to use SAF Red most of the time

and sometimes SAF Gold for Sweet Breads.

Id like to order some new yeast soon

what escapes me is a SAF  or Flieshmans  yeast that you use in SourDough

Im betting after I make my sourdough cutler:

is there a recommended  yeast for sourdough ?

Ive forgotten

cheers !

Hm, I thought the point of sourdough was that you didn't use commercial yeast at all. I admit to boosting a slow culture with it for my last loaf, because I'd decided to bake too late to get the culture fully revived, but I felt like I was cheating. :-)

All that said...when I use yeast for bread baking, I have come to prefer Red Star. Whether my bread has improved because of some quality superior to Fleischman's yeast, or because I have been improving my bread techniques, I leave as an exercise for the reader.

Edited by Smithy
Grammar (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I had used Fleischman's from KAF for decades.  Most recently I switched to SAF.  I must say, so far so good.

As to sourdough, I have seen and tried a commercial starter that left me unimpressed.  I think the idea is to culture one's own but we should know more in a few weeks.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If you have a sourdough culture that's working, why would you want to add commercial yeast to that? The whole point (IMHO) is that you don't have that yeast in the culture!

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

The dough was retorted for a week , i.e. made while i was baking the bread 

Can you tell me what you mean by that? A week is a long time to retard the dough, mine always go too far after three days retarding in the fridge.

I sued a week in the frig as i baked on Sat only

made the next week's batch while the current batch was baking  (  2  loafs  )  x 3 = 6 loafs / week

but your point is a good one and Ill keep that in mind.

thanks.

the Rx i used  used starter + 1/4 tsp active dry yeast.

mixed for 45 sec in the Cuisinart

" Beast Bread Ever "     Chas. Van Over

BBE.thumb.jpg.c5613f25f9c0d9a38d92b8eb6a0b0aef.jpg

tasted fine.

Edited by rotuts (log)

My view on yeast for bread baking is: I go to the store, grab a jar of whatever they have off the shelf, check the date, pay for it and keep it in the fridge until I need it. Never had a yeast-based bread failure from any yeast that hadn't spent entirely too much time between when I bought it and when I used it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

grocery store yeast  is much more expensive than 1 lb vac'd yeast.

when I open a pound I put it in a very clean and very dry used Mayo Jar,  and put some plastic double folded or quadruple folder

over the jar then screw on the pastil lid very tightly and keep in the coldest part of my refrig

keps for me for quite a while and Ive never had a failure

since Im about to start baking again w the Advent of Mordsernist Bread

I ordered 4 SAF instant  and 1 SAF gold

the extra bags I vac-seal and keep in a downstairs freezer until needed

I do let the Fz bags come up to room temp before I open and add to another of those super clean and dry Mayo Jars

if I added the yeast to a jar while Fz , it might attract some moisture which Im guessing would eventually ruin the yeast

I have an infinite supply of them for some reason.

Hellman jars or ALDI Mayo jars.

Im sure Miracle Whip jars would ruin the yeast Toot Sweet.

just saying

I guess Im wrong about a yeast for sourdough  i.e. acid dough

guess there is one just for sweet  , i.e. SAF Gold

many thanks for your replies