• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

3 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

Some years ago I was in Vancouver and discovered a place called Pirate Joe's which sold many Trader Joe's branded items. I may be mistaken, but I think their entire inventory was TJ's products.

No, you are correct! 

But Trader Joe's (proper) helped to shut them down. Not entirely sure why, since it was basically homage to TJ's. They bought products from TJ stores in the US and brought them legally across the border and sold them for a bit of a mark-up. People in Vancouver didn't mind paying a bit more because they wanted the products, but I guess TJ's wanted to maintain control over anyone selling their products. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/david-vs-goliath-pirate-joe-s-shuts-down-following-legal-battle-with-trader-joe-s-1.4152270#:~:text=Pirate Joe's%2C the Vancouver-based,described as a "David vs.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I can't believe your daughter is off to college! Wasn't it only yesterday that she was just a little girl?  🙂

I really miss Trader Joe's but it's highly unlikely they'd ever come to Canada - bilingual + metric packaging are just the start of it. 

Indeed, it's hard to believe that she is a young adult now!

And she is also a Trader Joe's fan - her favorite products are the various dumplings and the kimbab.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Flipping though this book while researching cookbooks for my daughter to take with her to college,

53822725944_d9f226781d_b.jpg

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this book and others you're considering once you've wrapped up your research.  Maybe over in the Cookbooks area?  People are often asking about cookbooks for young cooks so I think it would be useful for others as well. I haven't seen this book yet but have been enjoying her Cooking 101 YouTube videos on the NYTCooking channel. 

• Like 4

On 6/25/2024 at 12:35 PM, Cyberider said:

I like them too but unless I get there later in the day after their frozen food truck has been there, they're always sold out.  It's too hot here in the Phoenix area for a non-driver to go out grocery shopping other than first thing in the morning so I'm out of luck until Fall.  In the meantime, I've been making my own which don't compare with theirs, even though the only ingredients according to the package are potatoes, oil, and salt.  Anyone have a recipe to emulate TJ's?

Full bin this morning...

IMG_2459.thumb.jpeg.77e7abfdb3cd6176d28a64c22df379fa.jpeg

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

went to my Local this AM

they are changing out all their refrigerated units to new ones.

but noticed this ;

IMG_4255.thumb.jpeg.978c115b9c8847881d69724f689ab61b.jpeg

IMG_4256.thumb.jpeg.4d592cee9e11b82a2a35585468a1e225.jpeg

IMG_4258.thumb.jpeg.4a4dcffe4775cc1b3702b173f0174f72.jpeg

its interesting.  took forever to figure out how to open it.  there is a little plastic tap you pull off at the top'side

its thick , a little sweet , and tart     w a deep flavor.

quite some time ago I had one small bottle of Balsamic , the real stuff , in the square frosted bottle.

used a few drops at a tie  etc

this is not that.  I was thinking what I might use this for .  Steamed new bliss potatoes came to mind

for some reason .   the humidity here is 98 %   so won't be trying that anytime soon

then I thought about a thin glaze on Salmon , grilled or broiled 

pleased I got this .  worth a try .

for something .

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

I had the sauerkraut yesterday. Not sure why they added Persian cucumbers to the mix, but it is pretty good!

The only sauerkraut I've made is the one from Vivian Howard's This Will Make It Taste Good, which also included cucumber, though hers specifies English rather then Persian. I ended up using this TJ's kraut in the book recipes when mine ran out. I found the flavor of this to be very similar to what I made: more fresh, tangy and pickle-y than seriously funky. 

• Like 1

Ive been using the TJ's kraut for a while

I like the addition of ' pickles ' in it .

TJ's Kimchi , on the other had , leave a lot to be desired 

very small jar , relatively expensive thus ...

• Like 1

@blue_dolphinIt tastes very fresh, like homemade sauerkraut, I agree. I like the clean taste but kind of miss the choucroute seasonings- juniper berries, caraway, bay leaf, pepper, etc. i guess I could try adding them and let it ferment a bit more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ive been using the TJ's kraut for a while

I like the addition of ' pickles ' in it .

TJ's Kimchi , on the other had , leave a lot to be desired 

very small jar , relatively expensive thus ...

I don’t remember seeing kimchi at TJ’s. But It’s so easy to make, there isn’t much point to buy already made, especially if it’s expensive.

the kimchi @ Marketbasket is finr

and not pricey

it is easy to make , 

I might try some day.  and add spinach to the mix.

I've picked up the TJ's kimchi to use in a pinch. It is indeed a very small jar, and like the kraut, it’s more of a fresh, lightly fermented kimchi.  Not my first choice but I didn’t find it leaving as much to be desired as @rotuts did. I think it would be a good intro to kimchi -  very easy to use a pair of scissors to chop up the contents right in the little jar and spoon out a small amount. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Peet's has a "Small Batch" subscription program in which I'm taking part.  Each month I get a pound of coffee, each different and, thus far, enjoyable and interesting.  For me, however, the pound doesn't last but about three weeks.  I've been supplementing my subscription by buying interesting-looking coffee at TJ's.  It's a price thing as well as a way of exploring and possibly discovering a jewel of a blend.

This was my recent purchase at $8.99 for 13 ounces. It's one of the nicer TJ's coffees I've tried.  More complex and aromatic than the others, with subtle hints of, I think, blueberry and citrus. 

If you're looking for a budget coffee that punches above its weight class, this blend is worth considering.  Or, if you just want a good cuppa Joe, regardless of price, this is worth a look, tool. In any case, I like it ... 👍

ethiopiq.jpg.0a8bfa08ef65292546c00bde0e7352d0.jpg

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... Shel

OMG! I hope this heat wave breaks soon. I need those olive crackers!!

I take baggies of crackers in the car with me as my lunch on the days I visit my husband. My favorite is the Tamari Brown Rice Crackers, but I am out of those, too. I need to stock up.

image.thumb.png.52d2f1169e59bd746895c3dfaed26433.png

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

17 hours ago, lemniscate said:

My next trip to TJ's will include those olive crackers.   Thanks for describing.

I miss the Pane Guttiau Sardinian Parchment Crackers. 

I miss them too. Great price and usually only one or two were broken.  Another brand can be ordered on Amazon but, in my experience--only once--they were expensive and lots were broken. They are such fun crackers.

• Like 2

My husband just came back from TJs with a quart of Coffee Bean Blast ice cream. It's good! Not too eggy or custardy. A little bit more intense coffee flavor than HD, which is what I'm used to. A quart, not a pint, for $4.99. A lot of artisan (or not) pints are approaching $10 around here. Next up I'm going to try McConnell's Turkish Coffee. Has anyone compared the two? Of course that will cost about  4 x as much.

• Like 1

Just now, Katie Meadow said:

My husband just came back from TJs with a quart of Coffee Bean Blast ice cream. It's good! Not too eggy or custardy. A little bit more intense coffee flavor than HD, which is what I'm used to. A quart, not a pint, for $4.99. A lot of artisan (or not) pints are approaching $10 around here. Next up I'm going to try McConnell's Turkish Coffee. Has anyone compared the two? Of course that will cost about  4 x as much.

I like the TJ's coffee ice cream, too, but haven’t compared to McConnell's. If it’s available at your Whole Foods, you still have 2 more days of their ice cream sale. 50% off for Prime members, 40% off for everyone else 

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I like the TJ's coffee ice cream, too, but haven’t compared to McConnell's. If it’s available at your Whole Foods, you still have 2 more days of their ice cream sale. 50% off for Prime members, 40% off for everyone else 

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks. My husband does all the shopping these days and he hates shopping at WF. He'd walk a mile for a deal on beer, but not for that and not from there! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1