• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

A recent meal I attended concluded with caillé, which, I've since discovered, is what we anglais call junket (caillé translates as milk curds (n); curdled (v)). I loved the texture: delicately creamy, silky, and wobbly. She'd acquired the milk the day before straight from a neighbour's cow (!), added a few drops of rennet and left it to set overnight. It's quite common here to have little pots of fromage frais sprinkled with a bit of sugar for dessert, but this stuff was next level.

I've made curds before by adding an acid to milk, but that seemed to result in a different texture. So I got myself some raw milk (from a shop, not a teat next door, sadly) and some rennet...

Curd1.thumb.png.b6eb36ab50cd0387fbdcb352e7601ce5.png

Curd2.thumb.png.1ed248dbc6a5afe95b85e84f2c8f8f10.png

I can definitely see more of this ambrosia in my future.

And with a bunch of curds lying around, I took the opportunity to revisit the old country and made a Yorkshire curd tart...

Curd3.thumb.png.eceefac1083b2e2e975429b6b1e7840d.png

Curd4.thumb.png.b6f8d526d744cd0838dea18e057e9de7.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1