• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

More French toast...

Pain1.thumb.png.8756b8b7aa0e35eb79445fbddc02b5fd.png

Pain2.thumb.png.b32a1b3065a68bdad649bfea926e8b1e.png

This one was from a Jun Tanaka recipe. The brioche gets fried in butter, warmed through in the oven, then sugared and bruléed. At his restaurant the brioche is sliced into crustless rectangular bars and all sides get flashed with the torch for a nice caramelisation

I preferred this to yesterday's. The flavour of browned butter from the pan was more familiarly French toasty, and the custard used whole eggs which lent more egginess (pain perdu is also known as eggy bread in the UK). The bruléed top added a nice caramel note and a delicate crunch.

And looking at the pictures just now, the custardy inside and crunchy caramel exterior had a hint of cannelé about it, too.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Blueberry sour cream pie with crumb topping.  It's mi esposo's fave.  An old Bon Appetit (or was it Gourmet??) recipe.  

He's scheduled for a cardiac ablation on Monday so he's free to ask for any specials he wants.  We flew in last night from MX; he's having his procedure at the Univ. of AZ hospital in Tucson.  It's a great Medical School and we are both able to use our Medicare here.  The ortho surgeon I saw at U of AZ last fall was very complimentary of my hip replacement I had done in MX....best of both worlds for us!

bluesourpie.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

@gulfporter - that is one gorgeous pie!  And best wishes for a good and speedy recovery to your husband! <hugs>

@RWood - Happy birthday to your extremely lucky Pops!  PB and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations.  As my mother used to say, "If God made anything better, he kept it for Himself!"

• Thanks 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:47 AM, Kim Shook said:

@gulfporter - that is one gorgeous pie!  And best wishes for a good and speedy recovery to your husband! <hugs>

@RWood - Happy birthday to your extremely lucky Pops!  PB and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations.  As my mother used to say, "If God made anything better, he kept it for Himself!"

In fact he did. He kept all the PB and dark chocolate for himself and gave only milk chocolate to the Reese's Co.