• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Orange cardamom rolls using frozen bread dough.  I had just taken out of oven and one's already missing!  I won't name names.  But I suspect my DH.

cardamom.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 4

I'm not sure if dunking a biscuit (cookie) in a hot beverage is a uniquely British thing or a universal human trait, but these are claimed to be "the perfect dunking biscuit"...

Dunk1.thumb.png.a06b61f207a96d3c7bebeed5c4680843.png

I made a couple of batches, varying the cooking time...

Dunk2.thumb.png.530895614809fdf81094d21464d8c1d8.png

I preferred the lighter coloured ones; they had a more pleasing texture when soaked, but each to their own. Stand back, in we go....

Dunk3.thumb.png.de6680d7ae24cb00e93a6c4252741340.png

Apologies for the manky mug... it's my bashed-up, enameled, workshop issue container of choice.

Recipe here if you're a curious dunker (couldn't find metric online, unfortunately).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 2

On 1/22/2024 at 12:04 AM, gulfporter said:

cardamom rolls

Cardamom is a great spice, made some rolls a couple of months ago but overcooked the sugar glaze which ended up a hard candy glaze; oh well.

Pear and Cinnamon Bake was described as "an upside down pudding with pears bubbling in a treacle base and cinnamon sponge baking on top. When it's turned out, the treacle on the pears trickles stickly down and around the sponge". Sounds good...

Pear1.thumb.png.29032dcebc51afa0edd2624db8f5853d.png

Now the recipe called for an hour at 200C/400F. I knew that was never gonna fly so went with 180C/350F instead. It was already excessively browned after half an hour so I turned it down to 160C/320F. I should've covered it but decided to let it be, thinking the, errrr, 'caramelised' base might be a feature rather than a bug. Anyway, it took 75 minutes in total.

Pear2.thumb.png.54efa39e3f575c4fcbc6737fcb71789e.png

Pear3.thumb.png.bcadab3dc08624ac49a81406837073ff.png

This was really just an upside-down pear cake rather than what I would think of as a pudding. Baking it meant it was quite cakey compared to a light, airy sponge if it had been steamed. I'm not sure what the point was.

Pear4.thumb.png.3c719121be25f12cfb6a9e81fe108187.png

Even lashings of custard couldn't arouse much enthusiasm. It was ok, but this one won't be going into rotation.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Roly-poly is an old-fashioned nursery pudding ( NYT article on English puddings, paywalled )... roll out a square of suet pastry, spread with jam, roll into a log, steam, slice, eat.

I recently came across a cheffy version by Gary Rhodes... pastry, jam, scatter with fruit, roll, slice, layer in dish, pour over a syrup, bake...

RolyPoly1.thumb.png.7c9739d463e45dd3a1e942bb6f60e79f.png

I used what was to hand: strawberry jam, tinned peaches, pears, and sour cherries. The suet pastry was pleasingly soft and doughy underneath where it had absorbed the syrup, and nice and crispy up top. It was good.

I rounded it off with a generous hand from a jug of Bird's custard, as usual...

RolyPoly2.thumb.png.f87bd68f36b3dda9de40b8a4ae1cc675.png

• Like 7

My sister and niece are coming for tea tomorrow morning. Baking supplies are a bit run down since Christmas, so Snickerdoodles to the rescue. They didn't crinkle much but they are tangy and chewy so imagine they'll do.

Snickerdoodles - 1.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

On 1/27/2024 at 12:14 PM, Pete Fred said:

Roly-poly is an old-fashioned nursery pudding ( NYT article on English puddings, paywalled )... roll out a square of suet pastry, spread with jam, roll into a log, steam, slice, eat.

I recently came across a cheffy version by Gary Rhodes... pastry, jam, scatter with fruit, roll, slice, layer in dish, pour over a syrup, bake...

RolyPoly1.thumb.png.7c9739d463e45dd3a1e942bb6f60e79f.png

I used what was to hand: strawberry jam, tinned peaches, pears, and sour cherries. The suet pastry was pleasingly soft and doughy underneath where it had absorbed the syrup, and nice and crispy up top. It was good.

I rounded it off with a generous hand from a jug of Bird's custard, as usual...

RolyPoly2.thumb.png.f87bd68f36b3dda9de40b8a4ae1cc675.png

Apparently this recipe from Rhodes does not mention the dough unless I missed something; https://www.food.com/recipe/gary-rhodes-sticky-toffee-pudding-135354

3 hours ago, oli said:

Apparently this recipe from Rhodes does not mention the dough unless I missed something;

You missed that I made a roly-poly, not a sticky toffee pudding. 🤦‍♂️😉

(From the book Sweet Dreams at the Internet Archive.)

After recent adventures with custards and creams I had a surplus of egg whites. Time to dig out a couple of old reliables.

François Payard's chocolate and walnut cookies always deliver...

ChocolateWalnutCookie.thumb.png.9b2326da4a0acf1c229bc49389c65b29.png

And Maxime Frédéric's l’annécien is a good way to use up a dozen or so whites...

Lannecien.thumb.png.2278105263f659cb9813bbc818dc5539.png

Admittedly quite plain looking, but it has a nice crunchy crust and a pleasing crumb, flavoured with tonka.

It was made last week, so the last couple of slices today needed new life breathing into them. I sautéed a couple of small pears in butter then fried the slices briefly in the pan juices...

CakePears.thumb.png.3359884985d8492c0040e50c5e4ab877.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

After recent adventures with custards and creams I had a surplus of egg whites. Time to dig out a couple of old reliables.

François Payard's chocolate and walnut cookies always deliver...

ChocolateWalnutCookie.thumb.png.9b2326da4a0acf1c229bc49389c65b29.png

I'm not sure when I'll get to baking again, but these look like I need to make an excuse. Is this the recipe in question?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I haven't made this chocolate cake via Damien Pignolet in a bunch of years...

Choc1.thumb.png.1cb9cb50f5fe6ef78ccc328afab8e3e4.png

Choc2.thumb.png.6c9287eb7787d8a323d65ff6a8455b2f.png

I'd forgotten how good it is. Easy, too. It's basically just a baked chocolate mousse with some of the raw mixture as a topping.

I paired it with some reduced cherry syrup and a crème fraîche chantilly. Recipe here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

are their any more details that you can share re  that chocolate cake ?

Hmmm, can't think of much, other than to recommend reserving a third of the batter rather than a quarter. I like the extra moussiness. Here I scaled it down to a couple of small (10cm/4-inch) cakes. Perfect for one serving*. I think M. Pignolet paired it with raspberry sauce in his restaurant.

*Yes, I did eat the other one. Sorry (not sorry).

• Haha 1

I made another chocolate cake today, mainly to experiment with the serving size and to try some whole cherries in the cake element...

ChocCherry.thumb.png.60739c5e9d1a9918f496eece2c8638bd.png

I'm not sure it brought anything to the party. It's probably better as a purely chocolate cake.

And the food stylist in me cheated by manually inserting the right-hand cherry due to the cut looking a little skimpy. I tried to cover up the deception with a smear of cream, but it's fooling nobody. 🙄  #cherrygate

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This was my first kouign amann in several years...

Kouign1.thumb.png.5ec959e66bd57d24240f10e40f5bbb55.png

Kouign2.thumb.png.0900f8e18f1869ff2e3ee6539d5bafef.png

Kouign3.thumb.png.0c12b886c84258f522b6e09fc508ed1e.png

I was a little bit rusty: the lamination could've been better, and I need to outsmart my current oven for a more even bake. Tasted great, though, especially still warm from the oven when the butter is just teetering on melted, before it firms up a touch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

@Pete Fred. I haven't made that in years.  Years ago when I was at Le Cordon Bleu taking a Viennoiserie course,, the chef mentioned that he was from Brittany.  So I did what any good student would do.  I asked him about Kouign  Amann and the next day, although it wasn't on the course list, he changed it so we could make it.  Love at first bite.  I made it a few times after that but not recently.  

• Like 3

I took a flyer and made some major substitutions in the Fig, Blackberry & Tahini Cake from The New Way to Cake by Benjamina Ebuehi.

8B7D8105-4233-4E09-847F-6B0CAF259D05_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5e575b80cb22302c4cc050f53ed9ee96.jpeg
Since we don't get figs at this time of year and I didn't have blackberries (though they are available), I decided to use strawberries as the sweet/softer fruit and kumquats as the tart/tangy one. I made a half recipe, baked in a 6-inch springform pan.  I like the cake quite a lot but I found the mascarpone icing quite sweet and I don't think my choice of fruit worked particularly well with the cake.  I might try a thinner layer of the mascarpone icing with a drizzle of fig butter and some of those blackberries. 
011DAEC0-69AA-482B-AEE9-AE5E19958231_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ec6d895836eb330557c71dcad3b68538.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

Another frozen bread dough turned into sweet rolls.  Cherry preserves and 5 spice powder.   

cherry 5spice.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

16 minutes ago, RWood said:

A few macarons for Valentine’s. Vanilla buttercream and leftover raspberry Pinot ganache.

IMG_4912.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

How lovely

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1