• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Bentley

How do they do that? (The bonbon thread)

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Daniel D said:

Alright, anyone have ideas on the technique for this design?

That seems to be Andrey's signature design.  I see it a lot on his Instagram.  I think Kerry is pretty close on this one.  I would have guessed sponge painting and then compressed air.  The good news is that he has an online chocolate course and this bonbon is one of the lessons. :)

1 person likes this

On 5/16/2017 at 11:12 PM, gfron1 said:

Got it on the first one. White spray through Ateco Tip #33, then regular finger swiped swirls. You may remember when I was spraying through all sorts of gadgets and tools to create stencils. They always gave fuzzy effect like that and slightly warped spray since the stencil wasn't against the polycarb. Thanks for creating this topic. Love it.

@gfron1 Did you get this one to work?  How did you attach the tip to the airbrush?  I can't find a way to do it that doesn't just create a big puddle of color in the mold.  I've tried a couple airbrushes.  The first is a basic badger 250 - the way that one is made, the siphon nozzle is in front of the air nozzle and there is no way to get the #33 tip on.  I also tried a Badger 360 but didn't do much better.    I would think that the airbrush needs to be seated close to the #33 tip's star opening, but I can't get my airbrushes to set up that way.  I'm curious how you did it.  

1 minute ago, Bentley said:

@gfron1 Did you get this one to work?  How did you attach the tip to the airbrush?  I can't find a way to do it that doesn't just create a big puddle of color in the mold.  I've tried a couple airbrushes.  The first is a basic badger 250 - the way that one is made, the siphon nozzle is in front of the air nozzle and there is no way to get the #33 tip on.  I also tried a Badger 360 but didn't do much better.    I would think that the airbrush needs to be seated close to the #33 tip's star opening, but I can't get my airbrushes to set up that way.  I'm curious how you did it.  

Why do I think there were pictures somewhere when he was doing this stuff?

10 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Why do I think there were pictures somewhere when he was doing this stuff?

He did reference some earlier experiments spraying through different tools and gadgets, but I have not been able to figure out which thread that was.

1 minute ago, Bentley said:

He did reference some earlier experiments spraying through different tools and gadgets, but I have not been able to figure out which thread that was.

yeah, I have no idea where those would be. My guess would be the showroom finish thread. And to answer your question I tried to replicate and got pretty close. Very delicate tap to spray with nozzle shoved in tip.

4 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

yeah, I have no idea where those would be. My guess would be the showroom finish thread. And to answer your question I tried to replicate and got pretty close. Very delicate tap to spray with nozzle shoved in tip.

Can't find it on the Curious Blogsquat, which is where I went looking

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

Can't find it on the Curious Blogsquat, which is where I went looking

I know I didn't post it there. And I see my pics on the other thread are mostly dead links - damn! I'll go dig it up from Instagram and upload the picture properly.

11 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

The way my airbrushes are designed, I can't shove them into the tip.  Need a different airbrush - or maybe ct down the back end of the tip.  I'm on a mission :)

Posted (edited)

This one is spraying through a standard cooling rack laid on top of my mold: Yellow backsprayed white12556066_223969391279189_277028708_n.jpg.3f86e9b6b1ae91c39ddd74db5f329abe.jpg

This is the one I mentioned: Yellow sprayed through Asian mesh strainer, backsprayed green.

12132681_1647557002190127_1716681272_n.jpg

Edited by gfron1 (log)
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@gfron1 Thanks.  Those are beautiful.  I will have to do some experimenting.  What is your Instagram name?  

Edited by Bentley (log)

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

This is the one I mentioned: Yellow sprayed through Asian mesh strainer, backsprayed green.

12132681_1647557002190127_1716681272_n.jpg

I've wanted to borrow (ok, steal) that one since you first posted the pictures. I really like it. Amazon Canada finally made the little strainers available here not too long ago. They're significantly more expensive on Canadian amazon (a set of 10 for $46 compared to $11 for the same 10 on U.S. amazon) but if I can eventually get a result anywhere close to what you get, it'll be worth it.

1 person likes this

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

can you link to the strainers please?

“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

Hi. Im Chef Eureka an instructor at the Academy Of Pastry Arts India.

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???Screenshot_20170610-230804.thumb.png.0657ed48c2211239fd4ed333f59ca54c.png

8 hours ago, Eureka said:

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???

Welcome Chef Eureka! It looks like a post above where we believe a blast from an air compressor was used to spread the cocoa butter. BTW, in the past I've tried this technique and my compressor wasn't strong enough so I used canned air (the stuff used to clean inside keyboards). I didn't serve those because I vaguely remember there being a chemical involved.

On 4 June 2017 at 0:49 AM, Tri2Cook said:

I've wanted to borrow (ok, steal) that one since you first posted the pictures. I really like it. Amazon Canada finally made the little strainers available here not too long ago. They're significantly more expensive on Canadian amazon (a set of 10 for $46 compared to $11 for the same 10 on U.S. amazon) but if I can eventually get a result anywhere close to what you get, it'll be worth it.

Even if Amazon Canada is your 'home Amazon' you might find that you can also log in to Amazon USA with the same ID and password.  This will allow you to buy products at Amazon US prices even though carriage fees might be higher.  Amazon UK is my 'home Amazon' but using the same ID etc I often log in to Amazon France if I want a French film sending to me in the UK; I also log into Amazon US if I want something sending to me in the UK perhaps not released in Europe.  

Might be be worth trying to order direct via Amazon US if your item is significantly cheaper there?  I can't see any legality problems, you are using the same log in credentials.

2 hours ago, DianaB said:

Even if Amazon Canada is your 'home Amazon' you might find that you can also log in to Amazon USA with the same ID and password.  This will allow you to buy products at Amazon US prices even though carriage fees might be higher.  Amazon UK is my 'home Amazon' but using the same ID etc I often log in to Amazon France if I want a French film sending to me in the UK; I also log into Amazon US if I want something sending to me in the UK perhaps not released in Europe.  

Might be be worth trying to order direct via Amazon US if your item is significantly cheaper there?  I can't see any legality problems, you are using the same log in credentials.

A few things on U.S. amazon will ship to Canada but most won't. They'll let you add it to the cart and go through the whole checkout process until the very end... and then give you a message saying "this item does not ship to your location". This is one of those items that will not. Not a big deal though, I'm not in a hurry. I have enough things I need to practice at the more basic end of the spraying cocoa butter scale at this point. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

45 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

A few things on U.S. amazon will ship to Canada but most won't. They'll let you add it to the cart and go through the whole checkout process until the very end... and then give you a message saying "this item does not ship to your location". This is one of those items that will not. Not a big deal though, I'm not in a hurry. I have enough things I need to practice at the more basic end of the spraying cocoa butter scale at this point. 

I noticed recently when I try to do this I immediately get a warning that the items cannot be shipped to me. Saves me going through the whole show. But the other thing to keep in mind that the words "free-trade" mean very little. I have been dinged for customs duties!  

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I noticed recently when I try to do this I immediately get a warning that the items cannot be shipped to me. Saves me going through the whole show. But the other thing to keep in mind that the words "free-trade" mean very little. I have been dinged for customs duties!  

Maybe they're giving the warnings earlier in the process now, it's been a while since I tried ordering anything on U.S. amazon. That would definitely be more convenient.

Yeah, I sometimes get hit for duties on orders from the U.S. even when it's something that should be covered under the "free-trade" thing. It seems pretty random sometimes even on the percentage charged. 

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Eureka said:

I came across this beautiful bonbon but cant break my head enough to knoq how this technique of design is done. This bonbon was designed by chef Andrey Dubovik. Any idea how he has executed this design???Screenshot_20170610-230804.thumb.png.0657ed48c2211239fd4ed333f59ca54c.png

Similar to the other post above yours regarding Andrey Dubovik's work, I think this one is done by several blasts of compressed air aimed at the center of the mold cavity to create a concentric web-type pattern.  I've been meaning to play around with the technique but the humidity here has been crazy.

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

A few things on U.S. amazon will ship to Canada but most won't. They'll let you add it to the cart and go through the whole checkout process until the very end... and then give you a message saying "this item does not ship to your location". 

I have a PO box in Calais, ME, for that very reason. 

2 people like this

Fat=flavor

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I have a PO box in Calais, ME, for that very reason. 

Only practical if you live near a border crossing.  

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

True enough. Though as far as that goes, I usually only go over 3 or 4 times a year. Having something to pick up pretty much determines when I'll go. :)

I should clarify that it's not a true PO box but merely a disposable mailing address through ACE Hardware there, so it doesn't cost me anything. 

Fat=flavor