• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. John VI restaurants

23 hours ago, gfweb said:

I think F&W writes everything from press releases.  I doubt the author has even been  to the island

Probably not. I remember some years ago Food and Wine did another article on St. John that focused on the restaurant Fatty Crab and the parents of the chef, who owned (or maybe still own) a big house on the island.  The restaurant closed shortly after the article came out.  Locals really hated it for some reason.

Here's a better article that came out in February of this year, written by someone who actually visits the island. It touches on food but is mostly about snorkeling.   My husband and I used to stay at Caneel often, but we have not tried snorkeling there since the storms.  I've been afraid to see what it looks like now.  https://www.travelandleisure.com/st-john-us-virgin-islands-father-daughter-trip-7109077

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 6:43 PM, gfweb said:

40 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Here's a better article that came out in February of this year, written by someone who actually visits the island. It touches on food but is mostly about snorkeling.   My husband and I used to stay at Caneel often, but we have not tried snorkeling there since the storms.  I've been afraid to see what it looks like now.  https://www.travelandleisure.com/st-john-us-virgin-islands-father-daughter-trip-7109077

Interesting that the two articles are by the same author!

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, blue_dolphin said:

Interesting that the two articles are by the same author!

Ha!  That's funny.  Both magazines are published by the same company, so I guess they got two articles for the price of one.  

• 2 months later...

We are heading back on Saturday for two weeks.  This time I am planning on cooking dinner at the house about half of the time.  I'm bringing down some food because quality and selection at the island groceries can be pretty limited.  You can bring in anything you want.  There are restrictions on what you can bring back out, so I always plan our meals carefully when I do this, to try and make sure everything gets used.  Plus, you also can only bring as much as will fit in a regular freezer, with room leftover for ice.  I prep and freeze everything at my house, then pack into Polar Bear Coolers with techni ice right before we go to the airport.  On prior trips, everything has always stayed frozen.  This time, we are leaving the house at 4:30 AM, and, if there are no delays, we will be getting in to the house about 12 hours later.  It's so very hot right now, but hopefully stuff will stay frozen.  Here's a picture of the house kitchen.  It should be fine for the cooking I am planning on doing.  There's a grill outside too.

kitchen.thumb.jpg.465216accda05aa41821eb476d873e86.jpg 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

We are heading back on Saturday for two weeks.  This time I am planning on cooking dinner at the house about half of the time.  I'm bringing down some food because quality and selection at the island groceries can be pretty limited.  You can bring in anything you want.  There are restrictions on what you can bring back out, so I always plan our meals carefully when I do this, to try and make sure everything gets used.  Plus, you also can only bring as much as will fit in a regular freezer, with room leftover for ice.  I prep and freeze everything at my house, then pack into Polar Bear Coolers with techni ice right before we go to the airport.  On prior trips, everything has always stayed frozen.  This time, we are leaving the house at 4:30 AM, and, if there are no delays, we will be getting in to the house about 12 hours later.  It's so very hot right now, but hopefully stuff will stay frozen.  Here's a picture of the house kitchen.  It should be fine for the cooking I am planning on doing.  There's a grill outside too.

A lovely spot for cooking.

You are quite the jetsetters!  Bravo.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Can't wait to see what you do in a foreign kitchen!   If it's available near you (and allowable on the plane - I think it is) you can use dry ice rather than freezer packs.  That should keep everything frozen for at least 24 hours.  You can put it in a paper bag and lay on top of the frozen food in the cooler - you don't want to touch it with your bare hands.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KennethT said:

If it's available near you (and allowable on the plane - I think it is) you can use dry ice rather than freezer packs.

On passenger aircraft, in the US, you are limited to 5.5 lbs of dry ice.   That's a reasonable amount, but not a ton.  The container needs to be labeled with the amount (you can print out the labels online) and has to be vented.  The only issue is that getting it on the plane is always at the discretion of the pilot and sometimes someone had some kind of bad experience and decides they're going with a stricter limit and will have dry ice packages removed. I'd think they'd remove larger shipments that contain a lot of dry ice before going through little passenger coolers but still might not be worth the potential hassle if everything's thoroughly frozen. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

On passenger aircraft, in the US, you are limited to 5.5 lbs of dry ice.   That's a reasonable amount, but not a ton.  The container needs to be labeled with the amount (you can print out the labels online) and has to be vented.  The only issue is that getting it on the plane is always at the discretion of the pilot and sometimes someone had some kind of bad experience and decides they're going with a stricter limit and will have dry ice packages removed. I'd think they'd remove larger shipments that contain a lot of dry ice before going through little passenger coolers but still might not be worth the potential hassle if everything's thoroughly frozen. 

Interesting - thanks for this.  I knew it was at least somewhat allowable because, years ago, Singapore Airlines used to serve a small container of ice cream with dinner and I noticed that they stored it in styrofoam coolers with dry ice.

When I get frozen food delivered from Wild Fork, it comes in an insulated cardboard box with a piece of dry ice on top.  I don't think they added more than a couple pounds of it and the contents when shipped via UPS ground (from a 1 day point) came in still frozen with most of the dry ice still intact.  I think 5.5 pounds of dry ice is a LOT of dry ice for 1 cooler.  When I get 20 pounds of dry ice pellets for industrial purposes, it comes in a large sack that won't fit in my cooler!

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

Can't wait to see what you do in a foreign kitchen!   If it's available near you (and allowable on the plane - I think it is) you can use dry ice rather than freezer packs.  That should keep everything frozen for at least 24 hours.  You can put it in a paper bag and lay on top of the frozen food in the cooler - you don't want to touch it with your bare hands.

I have had good success in prior years with the techni ice, so I'm going to stick with that.  The dry ice could be more trouble than it's worth.  I don't know how I would vent it, for one thing.   The biggest issue is just hoping all the bags make it to the island.  I have only had a cooler go missing once in twenty years of visiting.  They did find it eventually--the airline called me to try and deliver it three days later.  I don't think even dry ice could have saved those contents!  I told them to pitch it out without even opening it. 

I would not normally be planning to cook so much at the house, but my nephew is coming this time.  I know I have mentioned his allergies many times before, but he has an anaphylactic allergy to crustaceans, and there are a number of restaurants on the island that cannot accommodate him.   It's off season as well, and quite a few restaurants are closed for that, which limits his options even more.  We will still be eating out at some of the places that are open that can handle his allergy.  But, you really don't want to have a medical emergency of any kind on the island--unless you don't mind being medivacced to Miami--so we have to be careful where we go with him in tow.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

What is "techni ice"? Those frozen packages that go under names such as "Blue Ice", or something altogether different?

That kitchen looks gorgeous, and very inviting!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 7/28/2023 at 10:05 PM, Smithy said:

What is "techni ice"? Those frozen packages that go under names such as "Blue Ice", or something altogether different?

That kitchen looks gorgeous, and very inviting!

techni ice

It comes in flat dried out sheets that weigh basically nothing.  You rehydrate it by squeezing it underwater, and then freezing it.  I am happy to report that despite flight delays, it kept everything frozen.

It was a very long day getting here.  We had to get up at 3:30 AM to make our flight.  I don't know who gets the good times for non stop flights, but it's not Boston!  Every time we fly, the flight is somewhere between 6:30-8:00 AM.  It always takes me the entire next day to recover.  Once we got to St. Thomas, it was a quick taxi ride to the ferry to St. John.  We were accompanied by this brown booby on the boat over

brownbooby.thumb.jpg.efd1d7f6cc3414d6e84d99e619194263.jpg

The house is waterfront, but the area in front of the house is rocky, not sandy.  We'll probably snorkel out there someday soon.

bglowerdeck.thumb.jpg.b85c5179b4ace98e34ace6507a567040.jpg

The upper level of the house has a pool with a ledge for sitting and watching the boats go by.

bgpooldeck.thumb.jpg.dd1d577590712e17f3150c3eeabbf33a.jpg

The residence management company left us a fruit bowl, which was nice.  There's a banana tree in the yard that has about 100 bananas on it too, but they are pretty green.  I am not sure if they will ripen while we are here or not.  It's mango season right now also, so I'll be buying some of those once I get out and about.  

fruitbowl.thumb.jpg.8aa926ddcb4c8798f0ce9619551eee18.jpg

None of us felt like cooking last night, but we did not feel like going anywhere fancy either.  The kids wanted to go to High Tide, since they associate that with arrival day.  Menu

hightidedrinks.thumb.jpg.e2637823f300138d95ab7517f922ca02.jpg

hightidemenu.thumb.jpg.94b4edf05f7a1f75bab05f78af9eb023.jpg

Niece wanted chips and salsa

hightidechipsandsalsa.thumb.jpg.f1e517f9b8a8932c4ad4012bb6d58d64.jpg

Nephew wanted a quesadilla, thinking he could save half for lunch on another day

hightidequesadillas.thumb.jpg.92eadb9f81f930d8e5095b554ef52f09.jpg

and my husband, sister and I got the conch fritters.   They had big chunks of conch in them, which was nice.

hightideconchfritters.thumb.jpg.56e30ed02ed162f54b1406c2ba57143d.jpg

Cocktails for my nephew and sister--a margarita and a mezcal guava cocktail.

hightidecocktailss.thumb.jpg.fd45d0afe5fb91592ec4c861c33dab0a.jpg

Niece had the tuna

hightidetuna.thumb.jpg.25a254980f1b5cfdf91b6b1780f1af20.jpg

Sister and I got the mahi mahi

hightidemahimahi.thumb.jpg.badadc81d56adacd30965a2e6d0f3b86.jpg

Husband had a special of local lobster 

hightidelobster.thumb.jpg.0fd98a20a4d26081cc660dd0eeb37a08.jpg

and nephew got the pasta alfredo with chicken

hightidepasta.thumb.jpg.9984ce088fd681d4bd5ac457d350cd39.jpg

We tried a piece of their key lime pie for dessert. It was decent, but not limey enough for me.  

hightidekeylimepie.thumb.jpg.c373325798a03df30324327cd4954b1c.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 2

Had to laugh at the booby. I did not know till recently that birders argue about bird list sightings when the bird has hitchhiked on a ship to a non usual location. The coosnch fritters appear dark but big chunks sound up my alley.. House looks lovely. Looking forward to your stay posts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

It was a very long day getting here.  We had to get up at 3:30 AM to make our flight.  I don't know who gets the good times for non stop flights, but it's not Boston!  Every time we fly, the flight is somewhere between 6:30-8:00 AM.  It always takes me the entire next day to recover.  Once we got to St. Thomas, it was a quick taxi ride to the ferry to St. John.  We were accompanied by this brown booby on the boat over

We're headed to St. Lucia over Christmas.  Jetblue has 2 direct flights from New York, one at 8AM and the other at 11AM.  We booked the 11AM flight, a while ago, but just last week, they cancelled it and moved us to the 8AM flight!!!  We were trying to relax and take it easy on this trip.... oh well.

I hope you enjoy your stay. I can't wait to see what you make in a foreign kitchen.

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 10:40 PM, heidih said:

Had to laugh at the booby. I did not know till recently that birders argue about bird list sightings when the bird has hitchhiked on a ship to a non usual location. The coosnch fritters appear dark but big chunks sound up my alley.. House looks lovely. Looking forward to your stay posts.

That's funny.  I downloaded the Merlin bird ID app a few months ago and have been having fun with the birds in my backyard.  It's having some trouble down here with the sound ID feature due to lack of comparison data, but has been able to ID things I see that I can get photos of.  Yesterday I was able to add a green heron that was sitting on the edge of the pool to my life list.

The conch fritters were a bit dark, but its also the lighting.  We were tucked away in a corner outside and it was dark out.  I also only had my cell phone with me.  I used to bring my DSLR to dinners, but got out of the habit a few years ago.  It feels awkward to use it in restaurants now.

On 7/31/2023 at 7:29 AM, KennethT said:

We're headed to St. Lucia over Christmas.  Jetblue has 2 direct flights from New York, one at 8AM and the other at 11AM.  We booked the 11AM flight, a while ago, but just last week, they cancelled it and moved us to the 8AM flight!!!  We were trying to relax and take it easy on this trip.... oh well.

I hope you enjoy your stay. I can't wait to see what you make in a foreign kitchen.

St. Lucia looks gorgeous.  Enjoy!

Sunday was a recovery day.  My husband and I did have to go to the grocery store.  Here are a couple of photos to give you an idea of prices.  That's pack of two paper towels...

IMG_0524.thumb.jpg.50ab1d686e6097acda924da0d1f87f73.jpg

This is when you question if you really want that full sized jar of mayonnaise....

IMG_0523.thumb.jpg.45d79767e6e002f3366cbf8158713c80.jpg

We basically spent the day at the house reading and going in the pool.  We decided we were too tired to go to the beach.  We also decided we were too tired to cook, so went in to town again for dinner.  I let my nephew pick the restaurant, and he wanted to go to the brewery.  We are here for two weeks, so even though this is not where I would have chosen to eat, everyone will get their choice.

The brewery has been very successful. They make all of their beers and sodas on the property.  I grabbed a picture of the menus, but I forgot the beer menu!  They have about six beers on tap at all times, then four or five that are temporary offerings.

stjbrewersmenu.thumb.jpg.fe2f2d7c32953ed03de6be3034332ed2.jpg

stjbrewersmenu2.thumb.jpg.78090d019e19993e06d4e7ab890bb9a4.jpg

Here are the drinks. Nephew chose the mango pale ale, which he really liked, my sister had a margarita (not sure why at a brewpub since she does like beer), and my husband tried their latest permanent offering, Juicy Booty.  That one's a hazy IPA.  

stjbrewersbeer.thumb.jpg.3deb350a3951f24b86ea914876d2e345.jpg

Nephew chose the appetizers.  Pretzel

stjbrewerspretzel.thumb.jpg.1e4fa855e8bd7d98b4404768974b987c.jpg

Chicken wings (VERY spicy)

stjbrewerschickenwings.thumb.jpg.1417d48dd22f17690f127e9ad87e4663.jpg

Cheese garlic bread (so intensely garlicky that we all had to eat some to tolerate being around each other later)

stbrewersbread.thumb.jpg.80ef2277d2030664dc070fc7c0b28e5e.jpg

Niece had a pulled pork sandwich, which she devoured in about two minutes

stjbrewersporksando.thumb.jpg.a8b061948ede21fd853ec00806a48f4a.jpg

Sister had a mani sandwich

stjbrewersmahi.thumb.jpg.5d154eeb84624513e5c31afa28ade41b.jpg

Husband had mahi tacos, and nephew had a steak and cheese wrap.  I don't seem to have a picture of those.  I just ordered a pizza, which made nephew happy because he knew he would be getting at least half of it for lunches later.

stjbrewerspizza.thumb.jpg.6486162002bc4dd64e94f9b871ec8fbc.jpg

My sister, husband and nephew all wanted a second drink, so my niece and I left and went downstairs to St. John Scoops, where my niece got a chai tea latte ice cream in a waffle cone

stjscoopschai.thumb.jpg.c7a17d10d7d4b17c9b7c58bc1c5353e0.jpg

Yesterday we were still tired, but at least decided to go to the beach.  Francis Bay

francis.thumb.jpg.e95ee7bacef4b3bf384625c50ed07ac0.jpg

The pelicans were out in force

francispelicans.thumb.jpg.96b28e170e62cd2f1348f9c80292468a.jpg

We did not stay as long as I would have liked because my nephew was starving and of course didn't bring any food with him.  I used to carry food for him when he was a child, but he's a young adult now and responsible for hauling in his own snacks, darn it!  🤣

We went to town and by some miracle actually snagged a free 30 minute parking spot.  I've been coming here for 20 years and have never gotten one of the free spots!  Free parking is essentially impossible to find in town, and if you park in a non designated spot, you will get booted pretty much immediately.  It's $300 to get the boot off.  Better to just pay to park in one of the pay lots.  30 minutes meant we only had time for ice cream.  Irie Pops

iriepoposshop.thumb.jpg.ff9adc120c46ad85c32fecbb7689e353.jpg

Soft serve twist cone

iriepopstwist.thumb.jpg.e569aabc96dc4fc025e7ae402f4ab688.jpg

Vanilla twist with sprinkles (already melting because it is HOOOOOT)

iriepops.thumb.jpg.aee634e5f3d32018c7a9339927751ddf.jpg

We cooked at the house last night, but just made tacos with grilled steak and chicken, so I did not bother with photos.  I'll try and do better going forward 😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We got a fairly late start again yesterday.  I am an early riser, but most other people get up a few hours later.  Oh well, it is a group vacation I guess.  We had agreed that we were going to have lunch at Miss Lucy's, which is almost as far away on the island from our house as you can get.  I timed it, and the drive took 45 minutes.  They are only open a few days a week, and are closing for the season soon, so we figured we should get there while we could.  The view

misslucysview.thumb.jpg.61bcf59842dddc74e05a25e1db427d55.jpg

The menu is quite small.  For appetizers, they have fried plantains, conch fritters, and callaloo soup.  For entrees, they have a burger, chicken fingers or a hot dog for little kids, a fried grouper sandwich, a grouper reuben sandwich, or a West Indian fish fry plate with seasoned grouper, rice and peas, fried plantains, and whatever vegetables they have that day. We got the plantains 

mlplantains.thumb.jpg.ada8141f057f99e9cb1df0d81c78b6a9.jpg

the conch fritters (our favorite on the island)

mlconchfritters.thumb.jpg.2a48c61c8cebd7cb2a15c3b45937fdf3.jpg

then the guys got the crunchy grouper sandwich

misslucyscrunchfidh.thumb.jpg.2e0cd775152e4182363fccc427cc6351.jpg

and my sister, niece and I got the West Indian fish fry plate

misslucyswestindianfishfry.thumb.jpg.822f23ced7c48034d811ebdee98f45ed.jpg

It was all tasty as usual.  It's a very slow experience though.  They only have one cook and one waiter for the entire restaurant.  I think we were there for about 2.5 hours.

After lunch we stopped by beautiful Trunk Bay for a swim

trunk.thumb.jpg.ee44b0ca5b0230c144b71bd870794fa4.jpg

When we went to get out, there was a stingray patrolling the shore.  Everywhere we walked to exit, he would swim over and block our move.  This went on for about 10 minutes.  He was trying to make us stay all night haha.  The picture is not great since I just stuck my camera underwater in its general direction.

stingraytrunk.thumb.jpg.3d7e4e5d8a17bfb33b1ff210ccbb894e.jpg

Back at the house, my nephew wanted "a light meal" so he raided the cheeses and meats we brought from home. Oh to have the metabolism of a 24 year old again 🤣  Here's his plate

tuesdaydinner.thumb.jpg.fccbb98165601392afb676b201cd72b8.jpg

And finally, a picture of last night's supermoon over the bay we are staying on

tuemoon3.thumb.jpg.1d8acfb9103c5e49abbcdc9b6342e8a3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

When we went to get out, there was a stingray patrolling the shore.  Everywhere we walked to exit, he would swim over and block our move.  This went on for about 10 minutes.  He was trying to make us stay all night haha.  The picture is not great since I just stuck my camera underwater in its general direction.

stingraytrunk.thumb.jpg.3d7e4e5d8a17bfb33b1ff210ccbb894e.jpg

If you fed him some raw calamari he'd be your best friend! (stingray's mouths are about 1/3 of the way back from the front on their underside).

23 hours ago, KennethT said:

If you fed him some raw calamari he'd be your best friend! (stingray's mouths are about 1/3 of the way back from the front on their underside).

Trunk Bay is in the National Park, so it is illegal to feed any of the wildlife.  Some tourists do it anyway, which is probably why this stingray was hanging around. 

Yesterday we spent the day at Cinnamon Bay

cinnamonrightside.thumb.jpg.e34a2b3509e96d0f0ce21f00b226db6c.jpg

My sister wanted to go to Longboard for dinner.  I did not, because they have an extremely small kitchen and I thought they would not be able to deal with my nephew's allergy, but she was insistent, so off we went.  As I suspected, he could not have most things on the menu.  In addition to the obvious no gos, they were running a fried shrimp special which is not normally on the menu, so anything that touched the fryer was off limits.  After some discussion with the waiter, he was able to find a couple of things (literally two) that he could eat and was interested in, and he liked the cocktail menu, so we stayed.  Cocktails

longboarddrinksmenu.thumb.jpg.93826548ccb79210e7d5433b45f50aa1.jpg

Food

longboardfood.thumb.jpg.998a8867e798b19537972b204b763875.jpg

Drinks.  Left to right, my herb n' legend mocktail, nephew's sailor's warning, sister's sun shower, and husband's mi boi lilikoi.  Niece stuck to plain water.

longboarddrinks.thumb.jpg.961ca133147d6ae97ea67ffb6f868308.jpg

niece ordered chips and queso

longboardchips.thumb.jpg.92856892098455e08877eb08af8bbcca.jpg

sister wanted fried calamari (too salty)

longboardcalamari.thumb.jpg.71a71eb9316d08ae380d516dd0879e17.jpg

nephew ordered a cheese quesadilla

longboardquesadilla.thumb.jpg.714f755c5be495313087f57ef99a19e6.jpg

My sister, husband and I all had fish tacos (again, too salty)

longboardfishtacos.thumb.jpg.aa63c5609e85041da68726bc75ecf50b.jpg

Nephew had beef tacos

beeftacos.thumb.jpg.a9735180fde6677f2aca4dfbb90cc2ab.jpg

and niece had a poke bowl

longboardpokebowl.thumb.jpg.c834514edd1fb7a9fc440e59aabd28f0.jpg

My husband and nephew had a second drink. My nephew got the same one my husband had on the first round, and my husband got this froserita, which was apparently a margarita with a frose float.  Sounds weird to me but he liked it.

longboardfrozerita.thumb.jpg.8004383cc5a9ef7c154955f45d79c07b.jpg

After dinner it was time for dessert at St. John Scoops

stjohnscoopssign.thumb.jpg.e09e03d165b8acc153bc7129f4ce945f.jpg

Cookies and cream, chai tea latte and coffee.  I had a scoop of mango and my sister had a scoop of coffee in a cup that didn't make the picture.

stjohnscoopscones.thumb.jpg.f99b8f4a172d214b997ff4ba6d19238b.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Delicious 1

20 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

Trunk Bay is in the National Park, so it is illegal to feed any of the wildlife.  Some tourists do it anyway, which is probably why this stingray was hanging around. 

That makes sense.  Many years ago I was diving in the Cayman Islands - there's an area called Stingray City - a bunch of sandbars in the middle of the sea where, for supposedly hundreds of years, fishermen would throw all the waste fish and scraps so stingrays found the place and basically made it their home - since they're constantly being fed, they are extremely docile. You can practically step on them in knee deep water and they don't care.  The dive I did took us to about 15-20 feet and used a lot of weight on the weight belt so we'd just be sitting on the sandy bottom.  They gave us each a box of raw calamari and we sat there in a storm of tons of stingrays coming from every direction, feeding them.  Since they locate their food primarily by smell rather than by sight, if you got some squid scent on your arm, they would suck on your arm thinking it was food - like a vacuum cleaner.  After a few seconds they realized you weren't food and detached.

• Like 7

I have seen pictures of stingray city and friends that have been there have said it is a good experience.  I have actually never been to the Bahamas. We were thinking of going to Little Exuma in November, but the house we would stay in was only available for six days, so we are just coming back here instead.  Not that I am complaining. 

Yesterday we had a boat charter booked to take us to the floating taco bar, but our captain got into a car accident early in the morning, so asked if we could reschedule.  I think we might be going Sunday instead.  It turned out fine, because weather moved in and we had some pretty heavy rain off and on through the afternoon.

My nephew asked if we could go out to eat again, and also asked if he could choose the restaurant since he had no real choice on what to eat the night before.  I do feel bad for him.  He has not been back down here since the hurricanes in 2017, and his favorite places, all of which were good with his allergy, were destroyed and did not rebuild.  So we are in a bit of uncharted territory with his allergy this visit.

He decided he wanted to go to Lovongo Rum Bar since they have no crustaceans on the menu at all.  Pizza again, but OK.

The view in town while we waited for a table to open up

cbb3.thumb.jpg.1935075d867502daad7ef3f06c9513f6.jpg

The menu

lrb2.thumb.jpg.25b7ad6cd7d33d07dd143cca3d5d37ab.jpg

lrbmenu.thumb.jpg.86bb2ff251fcae3caf6799663c1d22ab.jpg

Drinks.  A martini for my husband, and I am not sure what my nephew got, actually.  Something with rum I am sure.

lbrbdrinks.thumb.jpg.2f141ba31b8a714bf54d76d6bfb25f71.jpg

We decided to deliberately overrode and bring half of everything home to eat after our rescheduled boat to the taco bar.

Nephew wanted the meatball appetizer.  

lrbmeatballs.thumb.jpg.482aa8cfa04040078776ac79e3e96645.jpg

Niece wanted the cheesy bread

lrbcheesybread.thumb.jpg.b3cb44583af5f42937ccb83d824f481c.jpg

and the chicken wings

lrbchickenwings.thumb.jpg.cf601d6544204b98beb9325cd50b9e38.jpg

Restaurant view

lbrbview.thumb.jpg.d235281a4fcd580022f9fbfb0b8eccb0.jpg

Too bad the power pole is in the way of the sunset.  

lrbsunset2.thumb.jpg.9f8398388a83e671c549e19e767dd417.jpg

We ordered the fun guy

lrbfunguy.thumb.jpg.b0f197db0835de97983fbf717f2f4ae7.jpg

The mermaid margarita

lrbmargarita.thumb.jpg.eea883e9f8539bc77da072d459e5226b.jpg

the pig overboard (this was my nephew's choice, but we all stole his arugula. It's grown on St. John and it is delicious)

lrbpizzawithjospehines.thumb.jpg.38a8c9fd965e8aceab33545bc50f7e3b.jpg

We all enjoyed our pizzas and are looking forward to the leftovers, so it turned out to be a good take.

One quirky thing did happen with the bill though.  When they brought it out for review, it was itemized with included 20% gratuity, which is fine.  When they brought it back to sign off on, it had another tip line, with suggested gratuities underneath it based on a percentage of the total bill that included the already added 20%. If we had not noticed, and added the gratuity again, it would have been a 44% tip, which is kind of nuts for a pizza place!  I'm sure it is a quirk of the software they use, but it was odd. 

Today, beach, and our first upscale restaurant of the trip.

cruz bay.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

I'm not sure I could have passed up the root beer float for dessert!

We were planning on getting dessert, but we ended up being just too full, even with taking half of everything home.

Yesterday we planned to spend the day at Hawksnest Beach.  We arrived, got all set up in our favorite secluded cove, starting reading books--and then it started looking like this

hawksnest2.thumb.jpg.f9cce4f1ca8273b486bebafbf5abbc72.jpg

Rain on the beach is never a problem, but there was thunder.  Lots of thunder.  When the lightning started we left very quickly and went back to the house.  

It cleared up in a  couple of hours, but we decided to just stay at the villa and relax until it was time for dinner at La Tapa.  Menu

ltcocktails.thumb.jpg.4069f0e36638a96eb77821dfb8e9a223.jpg

latapamenu.thumb.jpg.c77b4933b70da79c45f6106cb3af71b9.jpg

Drinks

ltdrinks.thumb.jpg.f81d0618776eab452b06dcda31c6c68b.jpg

Restaurant view

lts.thumb.jpg.4bc0e56c1e0f191d1eab46a94a71e98f.jpg

We ordered a special of tuna tartare

latapatunatartar.thumb.jpg.898d8522679dcee66cba4c7c97fb31c8.jpg

and another of pork belly

latapaporkbelly.thumb.jpg.fea5da544ccbe0e66ebed1f43117a705.jpg

and I really wanted a salad 

latapasalad.thumb.jpg.87c4cc9f50cd195d5f414d0b6b07099c.jpg

Nephew got the soup of the day too, which was a tomato mozzarella.  He's been getting this since he was a kid, every time they have it.

latapatomatobasilsoup.thumb.jpg.2ba54f159d9b09480225bd3305442947.jpg

Four of us had the tuna entree (excellent)

latapatuna.thumb.jpg.027eedbd446c58b8211dc470494482cb.jpg

and my nephew chose a special entree of Iberico pork with roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts

latapapork.thumb.jpg.60291dc68763b33628f89c37a3abc9ba.jpg

dessert options

latapadesserts.thumb.jpg.5752337ece56854a14c67af178015f24.jpg

We were way too full for dessert though.  The sunset last night was stunning

lts3.thumb.jpg.4d0f036f59e72be14d73c6ad8261499f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

As always inspirational. Includng the food ideas.

As to your earlier comment re power lines in a lovely image: I've come to a point of acceptance and view them as signposts of human connectivity.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, heidih said:

As always inspirational. Includng the food ideas.

As to your earlier comment re power lines in a lovely image: I've come to a point of acceptance and view them as signposts of human connectivity.

That's an interesting perspective.  The island is trying to bury the power lines in areas that are deemed to be at very high risk during storms, such as right next to the shore, but it is a very slow moving process, and the island's power system is really unstable for other reasons that underground lines won't help with.   I won't get into that here.

We spent the day at Cinnamon beach

cinnamonright2.thumb.jpg.896e8cac33fe6cc725285fb33f9443ee.jpg

It was really windy, so we could not snorkel, but it was fine for swimming.  I stopped for the obligatory scenic overlook picture of Trunk Bay

trunknofilter2.thumb.jpg.2a4bb9f99a29241fe8a2656bd85d7afd.jpg

and then we headed back to the house, because we were planning on just hanging out and cooking dinner there. I like the way the house is almost hidden down a lush path 

beachgarden2.thumb.jpg.05746577abcf01ff7386dba91b4378f1.jpg

short after we arrived to the pool, it started raining again.  We did get a rainbow

rainbow2.thumb.jpg.b1369678a40ebfd181101a884ee75870.jpg

Cooking dinner was a bit of a challenge.  The kitchen is really under equipped for such an upscale house.  I'll be leaving some feedback for sure, since we are already booked to come back here.  Nephew grilled some chicken we had marinated in advance, I struggled to make flatbread in the only large skillet available on one of the two working burners on the stove, and my sister made a salad from delicious local greens.  Viola, chicken shawarma of sorts.

shawarmachicken.thumb.jpg.889d8e015b108e9343d9c5cdbeb7c935.jpg

shawarma.thumb.jpg.236f788cf31d3f11f2456fb94c4fd2b5.jpg

Edited by liamsaunt (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2