• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noosa Yogurt, How I love thee

gfron1

Almost all yoghurts are disgusting to me. But somewhere vaguely in the back of my mind from a childhood trip to Germany, I seem to recall a yoghurt that I had for breakfast that was ultra cream, lightly sweet and more like a custard. I suppose in America we might label this European Style Yoghurt, but I've never found one that I like. Then I found Noosa. Interesting flavors, always creamy and a perfect size for me. I'm loving the blood orange and pumpkin, but liked the blackberry serrano. Cardamon pear was not my favorite but more because of the fruit texture than anything else. A friend swears by the apple which I've avoided because it feels too mundane. Anyone else a lover?

• Like 1

I'm not too picky when it comes to yogurt but I don't buy it all that often. Never seen the Noosa brand locally so I can't comment on it but Yoplait used to make what they called a custard-style yogurt that I liked. It was thicker, creamier and slightly sweeter than the average yogurt. I don't know if they stopped making it or it's just not brought into the area where I now live but I haven't seen it in a really long time. I'm guessing based on how much I liked that yogurt and your description of the Noosa that I would like it.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Our two go-to markets carry the brand, but we've never tried it. We usually eat plain yogurt, then add just a bit of fresh fruit and granola -- less sugar, lower cost -- but when the situation calls for a flavored yogurt, I'll buy Brown Cow or, occasionally, Chobani. I find fruit yogurts cloyingly sweet now, although Brown Cow coffee is pretty good. (Hey, a coffee bean is the seed of a fruit. Close enough.) Ms. Alex probably would home right in on the salted caramel Noosa. And the strawberry-rhubarb. Good thing I do 99% of the shopping.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I've never heard of that brand but there is a new to me brand called Skyr that is made the way the people in Iceland make make theirs.  Costco carried it for a time but then stopped.  Loblaws here has a Skyr Style yogurt but I don't find it as good as Skyr.  I mostly make my own now which I strain so it is nice and thick but very tangy.  I need a way to make it less so.

When I go to NY state on a grocery expedition, I pick up some Fage yogurt which I also like.