• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

17 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I watched the video and I'd like to try it.  But.....say I've made up a batch of dough and I've cut off 20% and it's been kept in the fridge.  Can this 20% be used to make a dough with a higher hydration?  If yes, after making the that dough, would I cut off 20% of the higher hydration dough and the next time I want to make a lower hydration dough, can I use the saved 20% as is or do I have to adjust for the extra water in the 20%?  I hope this makes sense.   I also assume that of the original 80%, I can leave it in the fridge for a few days if I wanted to make a fresh sandwich bun every day?  I hope this makes sense.

While I've never actually tried this before myself, reading his guide on the subject leads me to believe that you would use a given pate fermentee for baking another loaf of the same kind. In other words, while he says you can use this method with any kind of bread (regular, enriched, etc.), what I take from his explanation is that he will use that pate fermentee to bake the same kind of bread. I'm therefore assuming the same would apply to the hydration. If it was different, you would want to make the necessary adjustments when adding the pate fermentee to achieve the desired hydration of your final dough. Just my thoughts - hope that helps!

17 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

While I've never actually tried this before myself, reading his guide on the subject leads me to believe that you would use a given pate fermentee for baking another loaf of the same kind. In other words, while he says you can use this method with any kind of bread (regular, enriched, etc.), what I take from his explanation is that he will use that pate fermentee to bake the same kind of bread. I'm therefore assuming the same would apply to the hydration. If it was different, you would want to make the necessary adjustments when adding the pate fermentee to achieve the desired hydration of your final dough. Just my thoughts - hope that helps!

Thank you.  You've confirmed what I thought.  I may try this with Jim Lahey's no-knead bread recipe and see how that works out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Dough was made Thursday morning before I left for work.
Went into the fridge until yesterday afternoon and baked last night.
This batch was started with a sourdough Pate Fermentee (200g) that had been in the fridge for a few days.
Added to 1000g of flour and 1g of yeast at 65% hydration. And sticking to lower sodium, I reduced the salt by half.
MinirollsbakedOctober14th2023.thumb.jpg.ca004d4fd52c9e87334de6dc5301a7cc.jpg
Baked 12 small rolls.
MinirollsbakedOctober14th20232.thumb.jpg.c918c5575c39b7d89e999c7a9c676b32.jpg
Sliced one this morning. Lots of shine on the crumb.
TunaNormanSandwichOctober15th20231.thumb.jpg.a0f15f7f3856e63384a2423e4c27570b.jpg
Made Moe a tuna sandwich for breakfast.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

I made my usual stuffed Sunday buns. This time I used a lean ground beef and celery seasoned with Lebanese seven spice. Thickened with a beef gravy. They would have been much better with onions and garlic but that's an impossibility in my house.

20231015_115011.thumb.jpg.1a1a585648b395bea5f94901245c09f5.jpg

20231015_120208.thumb.jpg.7ec9fbe11365a48683416b2a519f4276.jpg

With the rest of the dough I made some baguettes because I scored some Argentinian sausage and we will have choripan with chimichurri tomorrow night. The little loaf is a gift for a friend.

20231015_122223.thumb.jpg.b3fd582b296c742261a62cb27438e639.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Ten months to the day since I'd last baked bread.  Maybe a picture later.  Or maybe not.

My boule just came from the Anova so it will be some while before dinner.  The loaf takes three hours to cool.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Apple and Sour Cherry sourdough, with Masala chai replacing the water. The flour combination is Central Milling Artisan Bakers Craft Plus, Rob’s Red Mill Whole grain Spelt and Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Dark Rye. Delicious flavor with a soft crust and crumb. 

IMG_5444.jpeg

• Like 7

I found a recipe for sprouted whole wheat in a cookbook from the early 80’s and just knew I had to try it. I converted the original yeasted recipe to sourdough, which produced a wonderful loaf. The recipe calls for 50% whole wheat, whole milk instead of water, and alfalfa sprouts, of all things! The result is a deliciously tangy, nutty, and moist loaf worthy of any sandwich fixings. The original recipe was a first place winner at our State Fair - and I can certainly see why.

IMG_5533.jpeg

IMG_5536.jpeg

IMG_5537.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

On 10/20/2023 at 12:13 PM, OlyveOyl said:

A smallish sourdough, 400g total flour, some whole wheat and rye were part of the mix.  74% hydration, 24 hours start to finish..  My standard goto bread recipe,consistently delicious.

@OlyveOyl, beautiful colour on your loaf.

On 10/24/2023 at 5:26 AM, PatrickT said:

I found a recipe for sprouted whole wheat in a cookbook from the early 80’s and just knew I had to try it. I converted the original yeasted recipe to sourdough, which produced a wonderful loaf. The recipe calls for 50% whole wheat, whole milk instead of water, and alfalfa sprouts, of all things! The result is a deliciously tangy, nutty, and moist loaf worthy of any sandwich fixings. The original recipe was a first place winner at our State Fair - and I can certainly see why.

@PatrickT, that looks like the perfect sandwich loaf.

Last night's bake.
BaguettesOctober25th20232.thumb.jpg.b1911150488daaefea11f8b45b43d485.jpg

Started the dough Tuesday night and left it out on the counter to bake early yesterday morning.
Unfortunately we had strong winds, rain and snow and the power was out in a number of areas on the Island including ours.
Power went off around midnight and didn't come back on until yesterday afternoon. And we had about 2 inches of snow. Can't remember snow in October here.
Dough went into the fridge, but came out again after the power resumed.
Baked eight baguettes.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

33 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Made a 1000g batch last night at 64% hydration and reduced salt by half,

from 30g to 15g.

Beautiful loaves, as always, @Ann_T.

I'm really glad you mentioned the reduced salt again because I wanted to share something with you on that. When we were traveling recently, we ate at a restaurant that had this salt substitute right on the table. I immediately thought of you and Mo and tried it on my eggs. I thought it was delicious. Not sure if you can find it in your area or not, but if you can, give it a try. Cheers!

IMG_5426.jpeg

On 10/27/2023 at 9:12 AM, PatrickT said:

I'm really glad you mentioned the reduced salt again because I wanted to share something with you on that. When we were traveling recently, we ate at a restaurant that had this salt substitute right on the table. I immediately thought of you and Mo and tried it on my eggs. I thought it was delicious. Not sure if you can find it in your area or not, but if you can, give it a try. Cheers!

Thanks Patrick, I emailed them and are waiting for a response.

• Like 1

@ShelbyYou posted a recipe, I think maybe a year or so ago for a loaf of bred that you'd made.  I copied hat recipe, made the bread and swooned over it while baking.  I loved it.  Turns out I didn't know what I filed the recipe under in my cooking software.  I've been searching for for a long while and was tempted to ask you for it again.  After much scrolling (since I have hundred of bread recipes)

I finally found it!  I was thrilled had to make it immediately.

I just wanted to thank you again for sharing it. (It was under 'Grandma".)

2 hours ago, lindag said:

@ShelbyYou posted a recipe, I think maybe a year or so ago for a loaf of bred that you'd made.  I copied hat recipe, made the bread and swooned over it while baking.  I loved it.  Turns out I didn't know what I filed the recipe under in my cooking software.  I've been searching for for a long while and was tempted to ask you for it again.  After much scrolling (since I have hundred of bread recipes)

I finally found it!  I was thrilled had to make it immediately.

I just wanted to thank you again for sharing it. (It was under 'Grandma".)

What was the recipe?