• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from San Francisco

I'm an old member -- some of you may remember me as "Soba", but you can just call me "Hobbit". ;)

Nice to see everyone here.  Forums look snazzier than before.

Anyway, I've been living in SF for the past 10 months and lots have changed since you last heard from me.  For instance, I've started teaching myself how to bake and how to cook meat, two things I never did before.

I'm looking forward to including all y'all in my kitchen adventures.

• Like 5

This is great!  I have taken much inspiration from your posts in the past.  Especially with regard to scaling recipes down and treating myself to nice meals rather than always waiting until I was cooking for a bigger group to try anything new.  I very much look forward to hearing about your new adventures!

• Like 4

Welcome back, sir!  Is San Francisco as wonderful now that you live there instead of being a visitor?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It has its charms and its aggravations, like any place.

The fact that businesses close early is something I am still getting used to.

Speaking of which, I'm about to get lunch.  It's 3 pm now which limits what's available.  I had gotten spoiled by living in New York.  Most places shut down after 2:30 - that was a rude awakening within the first week at my new job, particularly since I prefer eating late.

• Like 2

I remember my shock when I moved from the L.A.area to way north in northern Minnesota and discovered that restaurants closed no later than 8 p.m. there! It was quite the cultural adjustment.  Still, I'm surprised that the lunch opportunities stop so early in your large city. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

I'm an old member -- some of you may remember me as "Soba", but you can just call me "Hobbit".

I'm glad to see you back. I made good use of your thread on your SF visit right after I joined this forum. I visit the area every March and am always looking for recommendations. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cyalexa said:

I'm glad to see you back. I made good use of your thread on your SF visit right after I joined this forum. I visit the area every March and am always looking for recommendations. 

Thanks cyalexa.

Tomorrow we have dinner at Ijji (252 Divisadero Street (Haight Street) in the Lower Haight).  Look for pix in the SF sub-forum.

Next week I'm taking my hubby (we're not married yet, but we might as well be) to Gary Danko (800 North Point Street (Hyde Street)) for his birthday.  And there will be pix, for sure.

Hope you have a nice trip next time.

• Like 2

like others I remember your earlier posts and very much look forward to hearing more from you.  Just had a quick look at your blog, most impressive photography!  Perhaps we should have a food photography thread (if there isn't one already)?

San Francisco is a city I would love to see but probably never will, I've enjoyed reading about your experiences there just in this thread.

Another welcome back! 

Edited to to add food photography thread found!  

Edited by DianaB (log)

I am sure it was you who  pushed me into eating more vegetarian meals so it seems somewhat strange to see you embracing meat!   Welcome back.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Welcome back, I'm looking forward to reading your posts again.   What's your San Francisco kitchen like?  I remember your New York kitchen as being tight quarters.

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Welcome back, Soba. (AKA SobaAddict70, yes? Are you still addicted?)

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

2 hours ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

Hi Arey,

I'll post pix later.  My NYC studio had a kitchen that was 6' x 7'.  The kitchen in our flat is 4-5x as big.

Here's a pic, looking in from the door to our back deck.

IMG_6119.JPG

It's my favorite room in the flat.

• Like 3