• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

"Hello,
Here are new and/or updated Recalls and alerts that match your subscription settings:

M&M Food Market brand Angus Beef Burgers recalled due to undeclared gluten and wheat (new)
Product: Angus Beef Burgers
Issue: Gluten, Wheat "

Probably the answer is cross-contamination from machinery which is also used for gluten type products...but you've really got to wonder about it.  Angus beef is so expensive and beyond the snack bracket that many of us live in, and here, it's subject to the same lack of care and consideration as are the cheapest foods.

The contamination list just goes on and on and on and on....

• Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

Since there was a recent discussion about eating raw cookie dough and the problem being the flour...recall for Gold Medal flours (snippet of affected batches, check online for more details ref SKU's)

The recalled flour includes both bleached and unbleached products with "Better If Used By" dates of March 27, 2024, and March 28, 2024.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

"Golden Mushroom" brand enoki are being recalled for listeria. So far only Ontario is affected, though they "may have been" sold or distributed into other provinces.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/golden-mushroom-brand-enoki-mushroom-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes-1?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

The "Simply Hot" brand of Thai green chilies is being recalled in AB and SK because of salmonella, and they may have been distributed to other provinces.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/simply-hot-brand-thai-green-peppers-recalled-due-salmonella?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks 1

Two to be aware of, this weekend:

"Alasko" brand IQF raspberries and "Antioxidant blend" are being recalled for potential norovirus contamination. They were mainly sold into the foodservice channel, it appears, though you may also have seen them sold as bulk freezer packs in retail stores. The recall affects everybody from Ontario east.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/alasko-brand-iqf-whole-raspberries-and-iqf-antioxidant-blend-recalled-due-norovirus?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

The other one is Saladito brand lupini beans in a jar, which are being recalled for botulism. They were only sold in Quebec, apparently, but I'm throwing it in here (despite the lack of an ongoing Quebec presence on the boards) because a) sometimes eGers vacation there, and also b) products from Quebec often find their way into Ontario as gifts and such. Though I know that Anna N, for one, can be marked safe from receiving beans as a gift. :P

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/saladitos-brand-lupini-beans-recalled-due-potential-presence-dangerous-bacteria?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I must have missed that one amid the flood of non-food recalls this past couple of days.

There's also an update to the recall on Saladitos lupini that I'd posted earlier, they're now known to have been sold in Ontario and Nova Scotia as well.

13 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I must have missed that one amid the flood of non-food recalls this past couple of days.

There's also an update to the recall on Saladitos lupini that I'd posted earlier, they're now known to have been sold in Ontario and Nova Scotia as well.

As you can see, I get the downloads also from the Canadian government agency.  It's all very discouraging...  And I thank you as always for keeping us up-to-date on the Canadian situation.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For any Trader Joe's shoppers... recall for potential Listeria monocytogenes in frozen Organic Tropical Fruit Blend. BEST BY dates 01/30/24, 01/31/24, 02/01/24, 02/02/24, and 02/03/24.

Since I'm sure this product is supplied to other supermarkets, be aware before blending a smoothie!

• Thanks 1

Whole Foods' 365 Organic frozen blackberries are being recalled for possible listeria contamination. The recall affects BC and Ontario.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/365-whole-foods-market-brand-organic-blackberries-frozen-recalled-due-possible?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, kind of a minor one but several second-tier energy drinks are being recalled because their caffeine levels are significantly higher than spec (and, apparently, for lack of bilingual labeling).

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/various-brands-caffeinated-drinks-recalled?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

...annnnd, chili garlic confit from the Delusional Sauce Company is being recalled in Ontario for botulism. Which is a shame, because that's a great brand name.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/delusional-sauce-co-brand-chili-garlic-confit-recalled-due-potential-presence?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Something going on with Trader Joe's, last week there was a recall of cookies due to rocks, today it was fully cooked falafel with rocks. 

• Confused 1

Not a recall exactly, however the NY Times reports 16 people sickened in a Salmonella outbreak linked to ground beef sold at Shoprite.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Seems to me that enoki mushrooms are recalled quite often...  I've never used them. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne 

I don't think nk you are missing much

I tried them some time ago , as there were in the

large chines supermarket i go to some times.

they are distinctive looking

but to me , almost if not quite flavorless 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 7:05 AM, chromedome said:

Okay, kind of a minor one but several second-tier energy drinks are being recalled because their caffeine levels are significantly higher than spec (and, apparently, for lack of bilingual labeling).

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/various-brands-caffeinated-drinks-recalled?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

An update on this recall:

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/various-brands-caffeinated-drinks-recalled-0?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• 2 weeks later...
  • Thanks 1

Yet another energy drink recall, this one the "Mindblow" brand sold in Ontario, Quebec and perhaps elsewhere. Apparently it contains "unpermitted" ingredients, including a herbal extract that's 98% levodopa. WTAF? That's the main medication for Parkinsonism, and decidedly not something you should be randomly ingesting. Maybe that's where the brand name comes from...

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/mindblow-brand-energy-drinks-recalled-due-non-permitted-ingredients-may-pose-serious?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

Another Trader Joe’s recall, possible metal fragments in crackers. I know they use different vendors for all of these items that have had foreign bodies, but holy cow.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Another non-recall, but...

3 Die in N.Y. Area From Infection Spread Through Seawater and Oysters

The bacteria are found in raw seafood, like oysters, and warm, brackish waters. Climate change may increase the risk of infections from the deadly bacteria farther north.

Not for nothing, I generally don't eat oysters in months without an "R" in the spelling, nor am I a fan of oysters from warmer waters like the gulf. 

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?