• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

On 11/14/2023 at 7:24 PM, chromedome said:

Good thing I quit eating cantaloupe a while ago after a massive passion for the stuff.  I found the melons were getting less and less tasty with the passage of time.  Now I'm on a fresh pineapple kick...and delighted to announce that my endless go round of leg cramps has suddenly stopped.  Must be the bromelain.

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For those of us in BC, this brand of pesto ("South Island") was sold at craft shows, farmer's markets, etc. It' s being recalled for potential botulism.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/south-island-brand-pesto-recalled-due-potential-presence-dangerous-bacteria?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

There's a LOT of packaged cut fresh fruit being recalled for salmonella. So far they only know of it being sold in BC, Manitoba and Alberta but you can probably expect that to expand over the next week or two. It was sold under multiple brands at multiple retailers, so it's worth scrolling through the list if you've bought any lately.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/various-brands-fresh-cut-fruit-recalled-due-salmonella?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:49 AM, chromedome said:

Malachita brand cantaloupes are being recalled for salmonella. So far this only affects NS, PEI and Quebec (not a large demographic here), but it may expand.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/malichita-brand-cantaloupes-recalled-due-salmonella?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

As expected, the recall has been updated to cover most of the other provinces.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/malichita-brand-and-rudy-brand-cantaloupes-recalled-due-salmonella

• Thanks 1

Now the cantaloupe recall affects at least 32 states as well. Here's a link to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control notification:

https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/sundsvall-11-23/index.html

I'm surprised that the recall includes whole cantaloupes as well as sliced. Is the salmonella actually inside the flesh of the cantaloupe? How does that work?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Now the cantaloupe recall affects at least 32 states as well. Here's a link to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control notification:

https://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/sundsvall-11-23/index.html

I'm surprised that the recall includes whole cantaloupes as well as sliced. Is the salmonella actually inside the flesh of the cantaloupe? How does that work?

It's on the rinds, but who do you know who scrubs a cantaloupe all over with a brush before slicing it?

...and of course there's the counter you've set it on when you got home from the store, the shelf in your fridge, your hands, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

Fortunatel for me, I refuse to buy anything masquerading as a melon at this time of year.

• Haha 1

• Sad 1

Got a couple, tonight.  First an add-on/update to the cantaloupe recall (5 deaths to date in Canada, 3 in the US):

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/fresh-cut-cantaloupe-products-recalled-due-salmonella-0?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

...and Kopi Thyme sauces and soup bases (various Asian styles) for botulism. This one's Ontario and the Western provinces, but possibly were sold online and ended up in other provinces as well.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/kopi-thyme-brand-sauces-and-soup-bases-recalled-due-potential-presence-dangerous?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

On 12/8/2023 at 8:21 PM, chromedome said:

Spent the last lovely week in the hospital and what was for dessert last night?  Yum.... Cantaloupe.  I passed.   Amazing!

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

There's a national recall on some kinds of Little Gourmet Organic Bowls, which apparently contain wood. Not that a lot of us here have toddlers, but perhaps grandkids (or great-grands?) might be at risk.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/certain-little-gourmet-organic-brand-mealtime-bowls-recalled-due-pieces-wood?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

Tesco is recalling a Christmas stuffing product because it might contain moths.

The supermarket chain said the warning applied to Tesco Finest Apple & Cranberry Stuffing Mix 130g with the best before end date of September 2024.

https://news.sky.com/story/tesco-recalls-christmas-stuffing-because-it-may-contain-moths-13029993

Mothy Christmas!

• Confused 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

There's a national recall on some kinds of Little Gourmet Organic Bowls, which apparently contain wood. Not that a lot of us here have toddlers, but perhaps grandkids (or great-grands?) might be at risk.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/certain-little-gourmet-organic-brand-mealtime-bowls-recalled-due-pieces-wood?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

Somehow I just can't get used to the endless recalls on food for this kind of thing.  In over 6 decades I've yet to serve food with pieces of metal, plastic or wood in them...or undeclared tree nuts.  And so on and so on.  And the thought that brand new mothers...who are so often scared sh*tless taking care of a completely helpless little creature for the first time...also have to look out for these 'ingredients' just leaves me quite distressed.  Surely the food of infants should be subject to the strictest of regulations and care?  Apparently not.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

53 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Somehow I just can't get used to the endless recalls on food for this kind of thing.  In over 6 decades I've yet to serve food with pieces of metal, plastic or wood in them...or undeclared tree nuts.  And so on and so on.  And the thought that brand new mothers...who are so often scared sh*tless taking care of a completely helpless little creature for the first time...also have to look out for these 'ingredients' just leaves me quite distressed.  Surely the food of infants should be subject to the strictest of regulations and care?  Apparently not.  

Yeah, I'm scratching my head over it. If they were fruit-containing products I'd have thought maybe stems, but that clearly isn't the case here.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You got that right! How in the name of God can that happen in so many different products?

It's all really the same product. Many different supermarkets "own brand" products are manufactured in the same factory. They are all the same; just different labels on the cans.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, palo said:

Lead contamination in applesauce pouches may have been intentional, FDA says:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/lead-contamination-applesauce-pouches-may-intentional-fda-says-rcna130044

p

Horrific.  Absolutely horrific.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Now it's Quaker Oats Granola Bars (and related products) being recalled due to salmonella risk. Click here for more information.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown