• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food recalls

BeeZee

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Another non-recall, but...

Not for nothing, I generally don't eat oysters in months without an "R" in the spelling, nor am I a fan of oysters from warmer waters like the gulf. 

Indeed.  An awful lot of oyster-derived infections goes unattributed because of the difficulty in tracking sources.

I once heard a lecture by a NOLA infectious disease guy.  Gulf oysters are a no go for me.

I rarely eat them raw anyway.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

Those crazy-hot Paqui brand tortilla chips featured in the "One Chip Challenge" are being recalled, in the wake of the death of a 14-yo boy who ate one.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/paqui-brand-2023-one-chip-challenge-recalled-due-reported-adverse-reactions?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

For a backgrounder, and an explanation of the suspected/unexpected side effects of Carolina Reaper consumption, you can refer to this article:

https://arstechnica.com/health/2023/09/teens-death-after-eating-a-single-chip-highlights-risks-of-ultra-spicy-foods/

ETA: To be clear, a causal link hasn't yet been established between the teen eating the chip and his death, but the other incidents cited in the second link validate the potential concern.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Sad 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

This one's Ontario-only: Springwater Packers' mild "pepperonistix" are being recalled for potential listeria. From the photo it appears that they're packaged and sold in bulk at various retailers.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/springwater-packers-brand-mild-pepperonistix-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

This one's Ontario-only: Springwater Packers' mild "pepperonistix" are being recalled for potential listeria. From the photo it appears that they're packaged and sold in bulk at various retailers.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/springwater-packers-brand-mild-pepperonistix-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

It's a good thing we eat almost no prepared foods...in fact, I can't think of one, although we do use canned beans (shame on me) and canned tomatoes and paste.  This way we pretty much avoid possible food poisoning and suchlike.  However, food poisoning in romaine would certainly catch us off guard.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Right.  So I Googled enoki mushrooms just to make sure I knew exactly what they were and no I  have never purchased or cooked or eaten one and I can't see the appeal of such a skinny tiny mushroom and what I would like to know is why they keep being recalled.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I used to buy enokis (they are nice in miso soup) but gave up on them after too many recalls.

The reason, as far as I know, is due to Listeria contamination due to lack of proper hygienic practices when grown.

Most are imported from Korea, shipped here, and repackaged for both wholesale and retail sales.

It's not much of a surprise that a contaminated item of produce that has to be shipped fresh and kept moist is problematic.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chromedome said:

I've never bought enoki mushrooms...and I'm never going to either.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Not a food recall, but I'll put it here for convenience... Instant Pot knockoffs sold at Best Buy and elsewhere under the Insignia brand name are being recalled. Apparently the markings on the inner pot are inaccurate, and if filled to the "max" level they'll become geysers.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/insigniatm-multi-function-pressure-cookers-recalled-due-potential-burn-hazard

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

Malachita brand cantaloupes are being recalled for salmonella. So far this only affects NS, PEI and Quebec (not a large demographic here), but it may expand.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/malichita-brand-cantaloupes-recalled-due-salmonella?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:49 AM, chromedome said:

Malachita brand cantaloupes are being recalled for salmonella. So far this only affects NS, PEI and Quebec (not a large demographic here), but it may expand.

https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/malichita-brand-cantaloupes-recalled-due-salmonella?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23

This recall from a couple of weeks ago is, as I'd expected, being expanded nationwide.