• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just a heads up for a good place to buy books

martin0642

I'll start by saying I am in no way affiliated with this website....it's just (as in literally just now) saved me a ton of money so I thought I'd share :)

The book depository sells the books by Notter and Grewelling (I haven't searched for Wybauw on there but I assume that's there too) at WAY less than other places. The amazon price for Notters book was about £175.....I got it for £38 on book depository. Much the same for Grewellings book. 

And yes I know....this is about my third post so I understand if suspicions are raised. I can only re-iterate I am simply sharing something that's worked well for me and may help others :)

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

At Amazon uk, actually any amazon, i assume nobody buys directly from the first page at "amazon price", as the prices never make much sense, you go below to one of the used or new link options, and then get very good deals, for eg. Notter's book is 30.5 gbp for new, before shipping. Unfortunately not every "shop option" sends to my country, i assume your life is much easier in that sense, and shipping costs are very low if you are in the UK (and Europe..).

I think Book depository used to have better prices in the past, but lost a lot of ground in the last couple of years, as it seems that the options i mention from Amazon uk site (below the "amazon price") became signifacently cheaper in past years, without a proper respone from BD.. My feeling and opinion..

Edited by oferl (log)

They did used to be much better, but there's still a place for them definitely. Amazon can be a bit hit and miss with the cheaper options once you add postage and delivery times. Fair point though :)

Budding, UK based chocolatier .....or at least..that's the plan 

If you're looking for books online, try addall.com -- it's a consolidator site, shows every copy sold on all the major sites in North America and Western Europe.  You don't buy from addall but you can click on the link on their page to buy from Biblio, Abebooks, Alibris, Half, Amazon, etc.  

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Book Depository is no more but I recently ordered some cookbooks from Canadian-owned and operated Book Outlet (https://bookoutlet.com or https://bookoutlet.ca in Canada) and thought I’d pass it on. 

They sell mostly store returns and remainders so they don’t have everything but some of their prices are very good. 
I was interested in Renee Erickson's Getaway: Food & Drink to Transport You (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) as it’s next month’s book in a cookbook group I participate in. When I ordered, it was $30.99 on Amazon and $16.23 at Book Outlet. 
Of course, I went ahead and added Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cookie Bible for $13.27 so my actual savings is questionable 🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Canadian-owned and operated Book Outlet

Pretty sure that @Kerry Bealhas dropped a dollar or two at their brick and mortar store.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

ebay is my go-to here in the USA...nowservingLA has deals occasionally (like now!) and Kitchen Arts and Letters in NYC isn't great for deals but they do have a rewards program that makes some of my buys there worthwhile..plus it's nice to support the few remaining cookbook/food focused bookshops left right?

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 3:04 AM, Anna N said:

Pretty sure that @Kerry Bealhas dropped a dollar or two at their brick and mortar store.  

Yeah - box sales - we would leave there with hundreds of books - as many as you pack in a box for a fixed price that was just a couple of bucks. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hotsaucerman said:

nowservingLA has deals occasionally (like now!)

Ditto that.  I always check their shopworn list. Not that they are rock bottom prices but it gets them down at least into Amazon range and I'd much rather buy from a small business.  Plus, they have more speciality offerings.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1