• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Combi oven recipes

seabream

Combi oven recipes are still not as common place as many of us would like. In this topic, I am hoping that we can compile a comprehensive list of links to recipes, book recommendations, or simply short descriptions of made-up recipes that have worked for you. And any general wisdom about cooking with combi ovens is very welcome here too.

I will start with the obvious recommendation, Modernist Cuisine Volume 2. I am still waiting for my new combi, but already have a few recipes bookmarked. Will update this thread with the results.

I think you need to read this thread, as there are people here who cook in combis all the time, be it via recipes, reheating or just playing around with their combi to make some shirred eggs.

I'm wondering why you need specific recipes for a combi, as if it's some equipment from outer space? It's just another tool in your arsenal.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Here's a recipe for "Rice & Vegetable Risotto," from Viking, no less. Let me know how it turns out...

1 1/4 cup aborio rice
  1 onion, diced finely
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups heated vegetable broth
1 cup steamed spring vegetables
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Follow recipe for spring vegetables.

Heat oil in small saucepan.
In a large skillet, saute onion until tender.

Stir in aborio rice and sauté until rice is warm.
Turn mixture into 2 quart glass bowl.

Add broth and place the bowl on the rack.

Cook using STEAM, 210˚F (100˚C), 30 minutes.

Allow the mixture to set for 10 minutes in the oven.

Stir in vegetables and parmesan cheese.
Serve immediately.

makes 4 servings

They should be ashamed.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Here's a recipe for Shirred Eggs w/Spinach and Bacon, pictured over in the Breakfast thread.

6 oz. spinach

4 strips bacon

2 large eggs (please feel free to substitute even bigger eggs)

2 T heavy cream

1 T butter

Salt & pepper to taste

Blanch, shock and squeeze spinach dry.

Cook bacon. Drain.

Crumble bacon and mix with spinach.

Butter 2 heatproof ramekins. Cover bottoms of ramekin with spinach/bacon mixture.

Crack an egg carefully and place on top.  Pour 1 T heavy cream over each. Grind some pepper over all.

Cook in combi, at 325°F on steam/bake, for 8-10 minutes, or until done to your liking.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

the CuisiSteamBoy comes w a booklet that is 1/2 manual and 1/2 Rx

you can download it

http://www.cuisinart.com/share/pdf/manuals/cso-300.pdf

its a reasonable place to start your experiments

but its really about learning what steam adds to your cooking  in terms of heat transfer ( density of heating environment )

and lack of evaporation while cooking.

We combi-ites look forward to your observartions

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I'm wondering about making bread in a combi oven. Has anyone tried this? Do you program it to steam for a few minutes at the beginning and then switch to convection? Can the oven be used to proof the bread?

I have baked bread, the results have not been fantastic.  Generally, we want a high temp high humidity environment when the bread is loaded, after a few minutes, you want to vent the humidity, and lower the heat a little.  I set mine on combi mode ( which is full steam + convection heat ) at 440 F.  440 F is a little low for loading lean bread, I like 450 or higher. The bigger issue for me is that we want the steam to keep the outside of the loaf moist so that it will expand while cooking.  It is my unfounded guess, that the convection air works actually dries out the skin, that is because even with 100% humidity setting, it does not seem as humid as when they inject steam into a bread oven.  You would likely not be happy with 100 % steam only, since that only goes up to 212 F, but try it and report back.  The bread setting on your oven is probably a combi mode at high heat for a few minutes, then regular convection mode after that.

Thank you Barrytm. I usually bake bread at 460F with steam (water I pour in a pan) in my conventional oven, and after a few minutes reduce the temperature a little. It does seem like combi mode followed by regular convection would mimic this the best. Too bad about the low temperature limitation in these ovens. Will have to try it when my oven arrives.

I was also wondering about the Modernist Cuisine (volume 2) fried eggs. Has anyone tried these?

What about fish? Is the temperature control in these ovens precise enough to get decent results with fish?

• 1 month later...

My combi oven has been installed, and I've been using it every day for the past few days. So far, I love it!!!

I'm planning to make salmon tonight. I tried making it before using the preset "Gourmet Salmon" and it came it totally overcooked. I kinda expected that, but had to try it.

So this time I'd like to control the settings. I was thinking of starting out with the steam setting at sous vide temperature for sous vide time, followed by a few minutes of maxi broil. Does anyone have any advice?

I like my salmon flaking, but rare - so when I do it SV, I set the circulator to 115F, but a target core temp of 102F. It's blasted with the torch after that.

This gives me a nice rare center, but a bit of a gradient which adds a bit of texture contrast which I like with salmon.

I have no idea how to calculate heat transfer in a steam environment - do you have a thin temperature probe? That way you could track the core temp as it cooks...

ETA: I don't know how long it takes the oven to go from low temp to broil temp. You may need to factor that in...

Edited by KennethT (log)

after undercooking the salmon a bit in the Combi steam only

move the fish up a bit closer to the broil unit after preheating the broiler w the steam broil option.

when re inserting the still warm fish do not let the steam that comes out of the over burn you.

Thank you for the replies. 

The combi oven does come with a temperature probe but it may be a bit too thick to insert in the fish without damaging presentation. I'll try it next time. 

This time, I tried to cook it with combi steam with convection for 50C, followed by combi steam with maxi broil for 5 minutes. We weren't too impressed with the results. The salmon was uniformly cooked but not flaky - we like it the same way as you, KennethT, rare in the center but a bit flaky around the edges. Next time I will increase the temperature and use the probe.

And it didn't brown. I think that's because I didn't open the combi oven in between the two settings to let the steam escape, and didn't move the tray to the top. rotuts, I think that your suggestion to stop between the two settings is a really good one. I may also have to increase the broiling time.

Any other comments are welcome.

• 9 months later...

My Rational comes with a probe I use it when doing Crispy Salmon that finishes about 103 I do this so much I had special cedar inserts made up works great.  You can also cook by the look of the product as well just use the oven in manual - sort of like driving a sports car do you want a automatic or manual transmission?image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Thanks for all the nice comments

this is a great way to do Roast Beef just prep the beef and vegetables like the pictures, bit of oil on vegetables then hit overnight roasting I like a finish temp of 120

I usually just season with salt before cooking  Love my Rational. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b966e0f643bec3501ab763bimage.thumb.jpeg.c3a30b47e8bcaeb3e2dc4bbimage.thumb.jpeg.c3a30b47e8bcaeb3e2dc4bbimage.thumb.jpeg.c3a30b47e8bcaeb3e2dc4bb

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike Macdonald Calgary