• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

Working in two places tomorrow - so had to make more than one item.

IMG_1304.jpg

Dark milk chocolate bark with the cinnamon coated mixed nuts I picked up at the Flee Market.  

IMG_1305.jpg

Cherry pound cake.  

• Like 3

My DW is curious if you are using fresh cherries, dried cherries or something else? I was wondering if it is a recipe you share? For me, when it comes to sweets there's cherry, then everything else.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Good old disgusting glace cherries actually - I find they are expected in cherry pound cake.  Anything else is just to posh for it.

Cherry Pound Cake

• 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp lemon or almond extract ( I used 6 drops of lemon oil and 1/2 tsp almond extract)
  • 4 eggs
  • ½ pound glace cherries

Use some of the flour to dust the cherries. Beat butter with sugar until light. Add eggs and extract. Stir in flour with salt and baking powder. Stir in cherries. Bake in loaf pan for 70 minutes at 325 degrees.

image.jpg

While I was mixing up the dough for another attempt at ciabbata (tried and true recipe this time), I made breakfast of toasted ciabbata with braunschweiger and strawberry tomatoes.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

He liked it on cottage cheese  too

:unsure:

Actually, when I jog the noggin, I think Nixon liked ketchup on cottage cheese and it was President Ford who put ketchup on his mashed potatoes. 

This is not to say that Nixon DIDN'T put ketchup on his mashed potatoes, as well, but that wasn't the newsmaker at the time.  :)

• Like 1

IMG_1306.jpg

Not terribly photogenic - but quite delicious - eggs with mushrooms, green onions and cheese.  Liberally slathered with hoisin sauce after the picture taken and eaten with a lovely piece of toasted ciabbata.

• Like 1

Anna, is the smaller-than-1/4-sheet size of the Combi Oven starting to get on your nerves at all, especially compared to the Breville?

So far nothing I have made called for a 1/4 sheet pan and I do not believe there is pne here! I miss most a baking stone (round ones don't work as the size is already limiting) and then the pre-heat of a stone. None of the functions of this oven include a pre -heat but it is programmed into my DNA to do so.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Not sure what I will even attempt today beyond the ciabatta. Got so chilled last night as the temperature dropped that all I want to do today is wrap myself in a warm blanket and drink hot rum toddies! Will glance through Jerusalem and my Asian Pickle book to see if anything can persuade me to move.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for posting the recipe. We keep glace cherries in the freezer.

One question. In the picture it looks like you use a 7 x11 pan. Is this correct?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

This is Jason's quick ciabbata bread version 2 (with semolina) and I used the Thermomix to do the mixing and kneading.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2984/jasons-quick-coccodrillo-ciabatta-bread

image.jpg

After less than two hours it is exceedingly lively and has pretty much tripled in volume. This is where I curse myself for forgetting to bring my bench knife and bowl scraper. Kerry lent me a dry wall tool from her chocolate tool box.

image.jpg

The finished product! Much more to my liking than yesterday's disaster.

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

And the crumb did not disappoint!

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you for posting the recipe. We keep glace cherries in the freezer.

One question. In the picture it looks like you use a 7 x11 pan. Is this correct?

Anna just measured - 9 by 5 loaf pan.

• Like 1

Chicken soup.

Would probably do the trick but I am starting to warm up now after baking bread in a 500F oven!

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, they are gorgeous loaves!

Thank you. One of the easiest breads I have ever made. Not chewy enough to please a real ciabbata fan but delicious nonetheless.

My 2004 eG Blog

Well I did manage to make another Asian pickle. This time it is Asian Pear with Lemon. No Asian pears to be had here of course but the recipe suggested any small, hard pears would work. Here's the mise en place:

image.jpg

Pears, lemon, pickled ginger, mirin, white wine vinegar, salt and sugar.

The pears are peeled, cored and quartered, given a brief dip in the brine before it is boiled and then cooked in water until crisp tender. The brine is then brought to a simmer before being poured over the drained pears.

image.jpg

This jar will sit on the counter with its lid on for 24 hours then moved to the fridge. The pickle will be ready to eat in 3 days.

Lunch today was fresh bread topped with Jarlsberg cheese that Kerry had smoked on the Big Green Egg down south, more braunschweiger topped with beets and some spicy carrot salad from the book Jerusalem.

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Can't do popcorn. Even the smell gets to me so I drowned it out with the smell of bacon! Max Burt's bacon on cheddar cheese.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog