• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fibreglass-free silicone baking mats

Tyler Kinch

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for fibrglass-free silicone baking mats? I recently bought the Cuisinart Steam oven, and I got a 8x11 pan and a 8x11 silipat. The silipat rides up on the sides, and I've kind of fixed this using bulldog clips, but it still seems to pool in the centre when I put eggs on it (for an omelet).

I'm looking for a baking mat that I can easily cut. I'm told not to cut mats that contain fibre-glass, however I'm having trouble finding silicone mats without fibreglass. There are some that don't mention fibreglass, but I'm not sure if that means they are fibreglass free or not. 

Ive cut the version I have, called Exopat Matfer:

http://www.matferbourgeatusa.com/exopat-nonstick-baking-mat-7

i cut the 1/2 sheet pan size in 1/2 for my 1/4 sized sheet pans that fit in the BV-XL

i quickly heated the cut edge w a torch.  careful here and it seems smooth

the problem is as these mats get smaller they seem to roll up more.

I cut my sil-pat in half (so it would fit on two half-sheet pans). They tell you not to, but I don't know why. It's fine.

There's concerns about fibreflass migrating to the food...   I'm kind of tempted to cut mine..

I've got some just flat silicone Silicopats from Silikomart, which are easy to cut to shape.

http://professional.silikomart.com/Prodotti/Index.asp?Articolo=Mat&n=890&np=787&P=Mat&ecct_nodo=&min=&max=&color=#TopMenu

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

There's concerns about fibreflass migrating to the food...   I'm kind of tempted to cut mine..

Its the same reason people installing fiberglass insulation wear face masks. Its GLASS SHARDS

From Wikipedia:

In June 2011, the National Toxicology Program (NTP) removed from its Report on Carcinogens all biosoluble glass wool used in home and building insulation and for non-insulation products.[8] However, NTP considers fibrous glass dust to be "reasonably anticipated [as] a human carcinogen (Certain Glass Wool Fibers (Inhalable))".[9] Similarly, California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment ("OEHHA") published a November, 2011 modification to its Proposition 65 listing to include only "Glass wool fibers (inhalable and biopersistent)."[10] The actions of U.S. NTP and California's OEHHA mean that a cancer warning label for biosoluble fiber glass home and building insulation is no longer required under federal or California law. All fiberglass wools commonly used for thermal and acoustical insulation were reclassified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer ("IARC") in October 2001 as Not Classifiable as to carcinogenicity to humans (Group 3).[11]

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I have several ones without the fiberglass, I originally found them in kitchen stores. Amazon has a good selection, like this one from Wilton. Look for the ones that are solid colors. They can vary in thickness, but they all roll and bend a lot more easily than Silpats.

I can't get very excited about the fiberglass in this context. Note that the discussion in the link above is all about fiberglass as an inhalation hazard. The exposure to the threads in the margin is very, very small, and very finite in quantity. (I do like rotut's trick of smoothing with a torch.) If I were a professional cook using these mats in large quantities all day, every work day, I might try to find a fiberglass-free mat to cut. For casual use my only concern would be the aesthetic displeasure of seeing an expensive, rather pretty piece of matting become disfigured and asymmetrical.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The formula for the silicone rubber is for it to be nonstick. Therefore, the fiberglass reinforcing fibers are not glued to the rubber. If you cut the rubber, the fibers can work their way out.

There are reports of fiberglass can be dangerous like asbestos.

There are plenty of silicone mats without fiberglass on ebay.

dcarch

Never having owned a Silpat mat or any other fiberglass cooking mat, it seems to me that the OP could use parchment paper.  It has the advantage of being relatively cheap, can be cut to any shape and doesn't contain any potential hazards.

Or will this not work in such an oven?

I've never used my silpat in the oven. people do, when they need better release than parchment (or a bit more insulation), but the silicone is especially useful for working with tuilles and hardened sugar syrup and other things that would stick like glue if they dried on regular surfaces.

Notes from the underbelly

Never having owned a Silpat mat or any other fiberglass cooking mat, it seems to me that the OP could use parchment paper.  It has the advantage of being relatively cheap, can be cut to any shape and doesn't contain any potential hazards.

Or will this not work in such an oven?

I tried parchment paper and it worked, but I could manage to get it to lie completely flat, so my omelet sheets came out with weird groves in them. Even the tiniest wrinkle would show up. 

Anyone have any tips for lying parchment paper flat?

well here if what I do

and don't really enjoy it\

I cut off the PP from the 'tube' a bit over sized,

I flip it over in the pan and then fold over and crease each over sized end.

it then points up a bit at each seam.

works for me   but I do not enjoy it

I tried parchment paper and it worked, but I could manage to get it to lie completely flat, so my omelet sheets came out with weird groves in them. Even the tiniest wrinkle would show up. 

Are you starting with flat parchment paper or tearing it off a roll? Makes a huge difference.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna is correct.  I am unclear about where Tyler lives, but in the US and Canada parchment paper is sold in rolls at the market or in sheets at specialty shops that cater to bakers.

Could you include a link to this oven, please?  I am not familiar with a steam oven and it sounds intriguing.

Thanks!

I assume he's talking about the Cuisinart Combo Steam and Convection Oven (Williams-Sonoma link here, but available through other vendors also) that's causing such a fuss in this topic:  Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven.  Some of the members are really putting it through its paces.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Never had the need personally, but I seem to recall that a small smear of butter in the corners can be used to stick it to the pan.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Are you starting with flat parchment paper or tearing it off a roll? Makes a huge difference.

I'm using a roll. I'll try and find a speciality shop here in Halifax that sells the flat stuff.

Anna is correct.  I am unclear about where Tyler lives, but in the US and Canada parchment paper is sold in rolls at the market or in sheets at specialty shops that cater to bakers.

Could you include a link to this oven, please?  I am not familiar with a steam oven and it sounds intriguing.

Thanks!

Smithy is correct, it's the Cuisinart Combo Steam. I managed to get it for about $199 with coupons, well worth the money so far. Really love the steam for reheating.

Never had the need personally, but I seem to recall that a small smear of butter in the corners can be used to stick it to the pan.

Thanks! I will try this next time.

• Like 1