• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

Tortilla pizza using Kenji Alt's method of pan heated on stove for the crust and broiler for the top. Takes about 8 minutes start to finish using a 1/4 sheet pan and the Breville. Only trick is getting the crust crisp enough on the stove, which is always longer than I think it should be. Compares very favorably to any frozen pizza I've had.

IMG_0101.JPG

• Like 4

"Instant Noodles Artificial Hot & Sour Shrimp Flavor" with a chicken leg quarter (chopped up), romaine lettuce heart, chopped scallions, smashed garlic.

attachicon.gifDSCN2967a_800.jpg

Oh, wait - I used "Sapporo Ichiban Japanese-style Noodles & Chicken Flavored Soup" rather than the Hot & Sour Shrimp noodles.  It didn't look right when I looked at the picture again just now. :blush:

image.jpg

Inspired by Nigel Slater. Miso boosted chicken broth with Napa cabbage, shrimp and green onions.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Salad of mixed greens and tomatoes topped with leftover salmon patty. The dressing was my first use of toasted pumpkin seed oil from Trader Joe's. The colour is quite startling and less than appetizing looking when drizzled over anything that doesn't disguise that colour.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• Fresh green beans stir-fried/sautéed with duck livers & smashed garlic and corn oil.  Very hot oil.  ;-)

• Remainder of the short rib, daikon, winter bamboo shoots, shiro miso. garlic etc braise from dinner two days back.

• White rice (Tilda basmati).

Parmigiano Reggiano for munchies afterwards.

DSCN2976b_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

image.jpg

Roasted green beans and mushrooms topped with leftover chicken thigh. I ate this so late in the day that I debated whether it was lunch or dinner!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

• Fedelini w/ tomato sauce.  The sauce:  EV olive oil, finely chopped shallots, minced smashed garlic, finely chopped outer leaves of a fennel bulb, salt, chopped de-skinned ripe tomatoes, some bay leaves, rind from a chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano, simmer; aged rice vinegar [Kong Yen], a couple nuggets of gula melaka, rest of the fennel bulb, chopped; plus chopped fennel fronds; simmer.

• Maitake mushrooms sautéed w/ ginger, EV olive oil & chopped parsley.

DSCN2986a_800.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

Openface sandwich with leftover chicken and Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute and a smidge of lingonberry jam on the side. Think it needs an ice cold Akvavit to wash it down! Bet there is a bottle in the freezer. Sometimes I just have brilliant ideas! Skaal.

Edited to add

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

""  Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute ""

I love this stuff.  I add it to my own  " tomato juice drink " which starts w tomato paste .......

""  ice cold Akvavit  ""  

is this the stuff from bygone days, in Toronto, at the Danish Import Place that they had the once a month 

smorgasbord

down stairs ?

good for you 

and in a nice glass, ice cold.

dill and other green things in it ?

Skol   and have a nice nap !

""  Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute ""

I love this stuff.  I add it to my own  " tomato juice drink " which starts w tomato paste .......

""  ice cold Akvavit  ""  

is this the stuff from bygone days, in Toronto, at the Danish Import Place that they had the once a month 

smorgasbord

down stairs ?

good for you 

and in a nice glass, ice cold.

dill and other green things in it ?

Skol   and have a nice nap !

Don't I wish! The stuff I drank there in the Copenhagen Room was Taffel Akvavit which is no longer available in N. America. This one is very nice and I am grateful to the two people involved in getting it to me from the SAQ in Quebec but it lacks that "in your face" hit of caraway. My Danish BIL called me (affectionately) a peasant for liking the Taffel. We made friends with the Exec. Chef who opened his own catering business and small restaurant called Tastefully Done after the Copenhagen Room closed. I so miss both.

My 2004 eG Blog

Trying to use things up and clean out fridge so we shared a salad of celery, pear, blue cheese and pomegranate. I put a few walnuts on mine, also. And we had a bit of leftover golden beet soup. 

IMGP3308.JPG

• Like 5

image.jpg

Leftovers from the Hakka restaurant. Reheated in the Breville toaster oven using my brand new tiny paella pan. No one would ever use it for paella but it is a very useful pan for a singleton like me. And like the peasant that I am, I ate my lunch from the pan.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

I know the mantra and it frequently rings in my ear "only the finest and freshest ingredients" but let's face it sometimes you open the refrigerator and find some rather limp asparagus and the tomatoes on the counter are beginning to need a little wrinkle cream. But lunch must be made and even less-than-perfect produce can still make a tasty meal. So here it is -- a few stalks of tired asparagus, a wrinkled tomato or two, a pounded and breaded pork chop... I have had worse, a lot worse and paid good money for it.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

I made a new white sandwich bread from the book The Commonsense Kitchen. It uses an overnight sponge. It made a very small loaf but I was very pleased with the crumb and the taste. With bacon in the refrigerator and tomatoes on the counter definitely need using up I made a BLT for lunch.

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

• Vinegared braised pork hocks.

Hot oil, LOTS of ginger (smashed w/ a Chinese cleaver), pork hock slices, very generous 7-8 second full pour of Chinkiang vinegar, then rice vinegar, gula melaka nuggets; water, garlic cloves (skin left on), dark soy sauce [YHY], light soy sauce [Kimlan], “Luscious Soy Sauce” [Kimlan], Shao xing wine [Lam Sheng Kee], simmer.  Whole star anise, a stick of cassia bark, simmer.  More Chinkiang vinegar & rice vinegar, simmer.  Hard boiled eggs (cooked separately & de-shelled) added in.

• Dried de-stemmed Chinese small flower-pattern mushrooms (“far koo”) softened then braised w/ smashed garlic & chicken stock & peanut oil.  Trimmed large-cut wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) leaves added in, braised till done.

• White rice.

DSCN3048a_800.jpg

• Like 3